A Wilhelm Scream
A Wilhelm Scream

by Adam Thomas STAFF
November 10th, 2009 | 74 replies | 16,402 views

Review Summary: It's better than good, it's shredtastic!

Looking back on the beginning of 2009, it seemed that only moments after the hipsters had their moment behind the wheel of the hype machine when Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion hit shelves, the punk kids got their turn to drive it with a rare Propagandhi sighting. So it seems fitting that closing out the year that brought us Supporting Caste is another high profile, highly technical melodic-hardcore release, this time brought to us by A Wilhelm Scream. The last time anyone had heard from the Massachusetts punk-shredders, it was on 2007's Career Suicide, which was easily the band's most cohesive and technical album to date. One listen to A Wilhelm Scream and it's clear that they haven't lost a beat.

A Wilhelm Scream's self-titled EP hits the ground running with "Australias". Slightly more melodic but just as guitar driven as ever, "Australias" sums up everything that is A Wilhelm Scream; the frenetic fretboard wizardry, driving drums, and powerful rasp of vocalist Nuno Pereira all are given their chance to shine (which they all do wondrously). Even though A Wilhelm Scream starts off on a lighter note, tracks like "Bulletproof Tiger" and "Skid Rock" open up a can of whoop-ass that travels through your speakers and punches you square in the face. "Skid Rock" opens with a clinic in bass taping a la "The Horse" before catapulting into an assault of stunning riffs and acrobatic solos that are sure to get that inner air-guitarist peaking his head out. That's not to say that A Wilhelm Scream don't know when to tone it down. On "Fun Time" they slow things down a bit and channel their inner Hot Water Music. They even include a resounding belt of "woah ooohs" in their take on the punk-rock drinking song. The result is a record that ebbs and flows instead of being a constant aural onslaught.

A Wilhelm Scream is just more proof that A Wilhelm Scream can do no wrong. Just like Propagandhi's Supporting Caste, it is a testament that punk bands can play more than just the same old chords over and over again. They can fucking shred.

Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Owls TwoTaking Back Sunday Happiness Is
GridLink LonghenaComeback Kid Die Knowing
deepmofo43 (4)
A Wilhelm Scream records themselves and prove that they are a band who continues to grow and the new...

Athom

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

Mordecai.

holy fuck i want this

and great review, pos

November 10th 2009

oh nice gonna look for this

Damrod
November 10th 2009

Can't wait for December to catch them live and see them perform the new songs

Kiran
November 10th 2009

sweet, i love this band, i used to just listen to career suicide non-stop

BASS WANK in skid rock

Romulus
November 10th 2009

Oh sweet this was one of the releases I was really looking forward to this year. Review is shredtastic.

StreetlightRock
November 10th 2009

Never really enjoyed this band like most people do, they've always striked me as a B-act to both Strung Out (who do it better) and Propagandhi (who are more interesting). Still good, just not ZOMGAWHILHELMSCREAM good.

Digging: Labyrinth Ear - The Orchid Room

Kiran
November 10th 2009

I like them better than Strung Out but Propagandhi are pretty certainly my favourite punk band.

taylormemer

Ooo. Australias.

BrahTheSunGod
November 10th 2009

This band owns, bassist is a beast as always. Thank you thank you thank you for the concise review, pos.

Strung Out > AWS > Propagandhi
...and yes, I know I'm in the minority on that one, Strung Out is just a sentimental fav i guess.

this

strung out is very disappointing from what i've heard so far but propagandhi are good

November 10th 2009

Hmm. I've never heard this band. Would I like it Mr. Downer?

you mean thomas?

Cesar

AWS > Strung Out >Prop

Must get this ASAP

Australias and Bulletproof Tiger streaming on myspace btw.

November 10th 2009

Yeah. Thomas. I always get them mixed up.

are you an alt?

Shut up Dom.

oh sup mr raine

November 10th 2009

What, are you trying to get banned again? You just lost Maqwep. Dom, would I like this band?