Edvard Grieg
Peer Gynt, Op. 23

by Piglet G. Taylor USER (6 Reviews)
November 3rd, 2009 | 22 replies | 7,059 views

Release Date: 1876 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is an album of genuine touches of symphonic verses that are unmatched to even the most classical music melodies.

Classical is very much so an underrated area under discussion with definable tastes and cherished moments of unparalleled beauty. It isn’t exactly for everyone though.
Some people don’t appreciate some slow and rheumatic verses that hardly ring in your ears or some inexorable and complex plot of musical marksmanship and professionalism. They like something in between. Yet this collection of dedicated music, and perhaps Classical as a whole, is capable of doing.
Every word related to beautiful and wonderful defines this very album. The long silences are always broken and crumbled through gradually rising and elevating sounds, which also eventually slither up into your mind to focus and intensify into an unstipulated intonation. Sounds a bit like Post-rock, eh?
The major flaw for classical, as lots of people will concur, is that it’s often boring because of its usual duration but Edvard Grieg, unlike many other musical geniuses of Classical music, kept his music brisk to the utmost point it needed to be, at fifteen minutes of perfect harmony. That also concentrated a problem of it’s own to most Classical enthusiasts - it was too short. This flaw in Grieg’s music was not a major one however, all facets in every form overcomes the minor defects. Almost veritably though, the awesome powerful shrills of parallel splendour is missing as well, evidently making the music a little bit too serene for some, especially Beethoven fans.

Morning Mood is a melody that everyone in the world knows that has listened to music before. Even if you’ve been listening to Death Metal for the past hour one will still hear and feel the dawning swirls and whorls that echo emotionally through waves and waves of unembellished beauty and with examples of such, it is hard not to like the composed and distinct variation that all of the songs distribute. Edvard Grieg has an amazing ability to fulfil your mind with absolute peace, which also makes it difficult to destest the contribution and efforts that has been put into Morning Mood and In the Hall of the Mountain King. They are both most definitely the paramount tracks.
But most of people still miss out on Anitra's Dance and Ase's Death – for they both exceptionally devise a way to fluctuate the album’s prominence as being all but calm. The two songs make up the core of Edvard Grieg’s assortment.

Peer Gynt is a most adaptable effort to Grieg’s configuration in the Classical World. It was Grieg’s defining period of his career, and it shows. Every passage of sound is there to be listened to as being beautiful, ambient, wonderful, superb or breathtaking – the music is there, it is just up to you to bother looking into it. Despite all of this pretentious praising and approving, a lot of people will most probably dislike Peer Gynt. And for no particular reason besides it being ‘vague’ or ‘unfocused’ or more profoundly ‘NOT EPICC@! ENOF LOLZ!!1’.

But more to the point, without Grieg’s accumulated masterpiece, he would be a diminutive, unaccomplished and despicable composer, and certainly not Norwegian’s best ever.

System of a Down Steal This Album!Acid Mothers Temple Pink Lady Lemonade
Philip Glass Metamorphosis I-V, for pianoMacabre Grim Scary Tales
Radiohead Amnesiac
4.3

November 3rd 2009

There is in fact, a whole different assortments of Peer Gynt... It's most common that you'll find the 'album' marked under tracks:
Morning Mood
Ase's Death
Anitra's Dance
In The Hall of the Mountain King

Which explains the whole 'too short for Classical fans' bit. If you can find this copy of Peer Gynt then well done, I certainly can't.

This is my first review, I don't know what to say... I just went with the flow. Of course, I am looking for cc because inevitably this looks like a 14 year old written essay. It is tiny, indeed, I could ramble on about Peer Gynt for quite a while but seemingly that no one is actually going to read this review, take it seriously and buy the album so it was just better to stay with the facts. I personally thought i did a horrific job of the review, the paragraphs are all over the place, too many ‘and’s and ‘but’s, the same with the noun groups and subtle humour... can't say much more then that besides having to admit that the sentences are really badly structured as well. Hopefully next time, I might do a better job.

November 3rd 2009

The problem I find with classical music is that you can't appreciate it fully when it's on an ipod in mp3 format. The best way to listen to it is live, or if that ain't an option, vinyl. or very high quality audio files and high quality equipment to get that sorta "glow" to the music. idk. prolly sound really pretentious but hey.

I like Grieg, although the greatness of Peer Gynt in my opinion is a lil blown outta proportion. I love the hall of the mountain king though. it's so effective

November 3rd 2009

In the Hall of the Mountain King is in my opinion the best track. Morning Mood... is just a little too serene lol.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean in that first paragraph, maq

November 3rd 2009

It's not a great review but taking on classical music is always difficult (I've had reviews of Gorecki, Nancarrow, and Penderecki in the works for months....), and you already know where you went wrong (even if you're being a bit harsh on yourself). I don't think I need to give advice, you'll obviously improve on your own.

November 3rd 2009

or try to improve, thanks anyway

November 3rd 2009

i mean the music doesnt lend itself to the ways we commonly access it nowadays i.e. on an mp3 player in a compressed format.

November 3rd 2009

hmmm... to be honest I'm more picky on the composer and orchestra rather then the sound quality

November 3rd 2009

ummm, cool but that's not really relevant to what i'm saying

November 3rd 2009

All I'm saying is that where the sound source comes from, is probably more important then what the format is.

November 3rd 2009

yeah but that wasnt my point. i'm saying the problem with classical music is that it doesnt work in the most popular format in the world currently. who conducted it doesnt factor into it

November 3rd 2009

Who conducted and performed it is just as important as the audio format or quality*; so you're both right with your initial arguments, really.

*providing it's at least a v0 rip, but that's a given for any kind of music

LepreCon
November 3rd 2009

Had to study this in school for my music exams a few years back, classic classical

Digging: Overkill - White Devil Armory

November 4th 2009

both right with your initial arguments, really.

yeah but the main problem with classical music (not main factor in its enjoyment) is its
incompatibility with mp3 format. the performance of it, while important in the music's enjoyment,
isn't relevant in what I was saying.

taylormemer

^^
Yeah not true. How is any genre incompatible with .mp3 or any lossy format? Could you not argue the same thing for say anything. I mean, for sheer convenience classical on mp3 works fine. If you want real fidelity, go to a concert.

Patrick, you at least tried. If you want any cc or guidance on doing these I'm glad to help. I'm not the guru, but I've tackled this genre quite a bit

November 4th 2009

Thanks Jake I'd really appreciate your help!
maqwep, i believe our points are subjective to each other

argue
want real fidelity, go to a concert.

yes you could i agree, but with classical I think it's more of a problem. I find I enjoy it much
more when it's in a higher quality format/on vinyl. The difference in enjoyment between lossy and
higher quality versions has more of an impact on me when it's classical music.

maqwep, from his first comment knew he didn't know what he was talking about.

well actually we were both making different points but yeah

This sounds pretty cool.

This sounds pretty cool.

beethoven, man.

December 9th 2009

I don't own a lot of classical music, I wouldn't know.