Between the Buried and Me
The Great Misdirect

by iwrestledabigmaconce USER (1 Reviews)
November 3rd, 2009 | 49 replies

Review Summary: The Great Misdirect is Between The Buried And Me at their finest.

Between The Buried And Me, a mix of Slayer and Peter Gabriel era Genesis. Or at least according to the front of The Great Misdirect sleeve. Although some may agree I see no slayer and very little evidence of any Genesis influence. Instead, I see a band that has done nothing but progressed since their first album which was released in 2002. Listening to this record it is very hard to believe this band once played metalcore. This album continues the progressive style that was present in Colors but makes it a hell of a lot more relevant with The Great Misdirect. Between The Buried And Me have really upped the ante as far as musicianship. There are some riffs and solos that could easily be compared to Progressive Metal giants Dream Theater. Between The Buried And Me have also improved on the songwriting as well.

One thing that is prominent with this release is the fact that this album runs over 55 minutes and only has 6 songs. The average song length on this record is around 9 minutes. There is even a song that clocks in at over 17 minutes. This record will definably take a few listens to digest. So if you are turned off the first listen, give it another spin. Colors was the same way for me personally. Lyrically or musically there is no concept as there was on Colors. This record is also a lot more experimental than Colors which makes this album a lot more experimental and progressive in nature.

Another thing that has improved vastly is Tommy Rogers. Tommy's voice is an issue for many who are trying to get into the band. That pretty much means his vocals are pretty black and white. No true gray. Either you like them or you don't. Most can agree that his vocals have improved from the style that was present on the Self-Titled release and The Silent Circus. There are some great moments like the heavier parts of Fossil Genera. Tommy's clean vocals have also improved. Tommy has also made his keyboards more alive in the mix. Tommy even has an organ solo on Swim To The Moon as well as a synth solo which he plays with his feet (As seen on the BTBAM TGM bonus DVD)

The rhythm section is tighter than ever on The Great Misdirect. Although there is no Viridian, Dan does have a solo on Mirrors and a solo on Disease, Injury, Madness. Each are very impressive. Dan also brought in a fretless bass for the solo on mirrors as well as an Ebow. As far as Blake is concerned, he still plays blast beats, breakdowns....ect just not as frequent this time around. As mentioned before, this record has little hardcore influence when set aside the Self-Titled album, The Silent Circus, and Alaska. There are parts on this album where you can hear Mike Portnoy in Blake's drum parts. There are also jazzier parts like on Mirrors. Plus there are Tubular Bells on Fossil Genera.

The guitars are standard BTBAM guitars. One thing that really stood out for me was that Paul has put a little more effort in the heavier parts than he has in the past. He has also brought in some toys like hollow body guitars, classical guitars, and slide guitars. Dustie still from my knowledge plays mostly rhythm guitars which the exception of a solo on Swim To The Moon and the harmonized solos.

All and All, The Great Misdirect is Between The Buried And Me at their finest.
Just keep and open mind when listening to this album. More than likely this album will a few listens to fully digest. The only Cons to this album just relate to the fact that this album is even harder to grasp than Colors was which will definably leave out some fans of the older BTBAM sound. Other than that this album is pretty much perfect for me.

-This is my first review so any constructive feedback or tips would be appreciated -

Is this showing up?
EDIT: It said the review had to be approved where it was my first and I didn't know if it was up.

November 2nd 2009

read the first sentence and said to myself

LOLWAT?

edit: then i read some more and went oh okay

WhiteWallStargazers
November 2nd 2009

decent review....rating is way to high...and I highly doubt that the keyboard thing Tommy did with his feet appears on the album...that was a joke...all the studio videos were

Relinquished
November 2nd 2009

Good first review. Album is good but not that impressive.

I didn't consider that.
Its really just a bunch of noise though. haha

WhiteWallStargazers
November 2nd 2009

theoretically every album ever made is "just a bunch of noise"

YES ANOTHER REVIEW

band still sucks

HEY YOU TROLL GO TROLL SOMEWHERE ELSE THIS KID IS FRAGILE

November 2nd 2009

shut up steve carell you suck at everything anyway except get smart you were okay in that but everything else you suck at

oh, and anchorman

November 2nd 2009

=( you don't mean that...

mareep
November 2nd 2009

good review for a first man

I guess you are right

November 2nd 2009

i do, i hate steve carell beacuse he comes off as someone who would be a gigantic dick in real life, all the more reinforced by his consistently dickish character roles

i just don't find him funny

MAREEP, BY BROTHER, WHAT'S UP

=(
yeah well articuno is an asshole
and he's a crappy pokemon
i used him against blaine cuz i didn't have a good water pokemon and he FAINTED ON THE FIRST POKEMON
so THERE

November 2nd 2009

you just absolutely suck at pokemon games then, if you use articuno correctly, he's one of the strongest ones there is, way better than moltres and zapdos.
but no pokemon speak on here, we will get banned (also, he's fucking ICE and FLYING. dumbass)

bland band is bland

Thanks mareep

bland bland is bland

mareep
November 2nd 2009

sup art and kris and bigmac. bigmac what dyou want me to call you?

and i disagree with you about tommy rogers' voice improving. i didn't notice anything

November 2nd 2009

his screams are just as boring, his cleans just as overproduced and the usage of both just as overbearing as before

November 2nd 2009

yeah but the sweepies and tweedlies more than make up for tommy's voice