Epica
Design Your Universe

by Duraganyolcu USER (2 Reviews)
October 31st, 2009 | 45 replies

Review Summary: Epica reaching its peakpoint

No one can ignore the Holland's recent explosion in metal. In this country, some great bands from every genre can be found, and one of the 'golden' bands from there is the Symphonic Metal band Epica. Epica somewhat resembles the old period of Nightwish and the Therion's sections of 'mating with heavy metal'. However, Epica, certainly has a unique style. Consider like, more power, more heavy riffs, brutal vocals, and an "epic" music which is parallel to the name of the band, are linked up to the old periods of Nightwish. Then include the "Simone Simons" factor, at the end, what Epica resembles would be more clear when you consider all of these.

It's obvious that the band always tried to make itself heard with the different singles and EPs produced even three times in a year. Well, of course every band would want to make itself heard and known. And don't consider this as a comment trying to say "oh ***, they just think about their money and popularity". Of course not, these days there are limitless opportunities and their choice, not surprisingly, belongs to them. Moreover, you can easily understand that they don't try to shake the music market with an album containing slow, "deeply emotional" songs, like some symphonic and folk bands do (and what if they do? Actually I think it might be great, I just want to point that this album contains sincerely-written 'tough' parts). Listen the flow of music that sometimes become transformed in a "cursed" form and listen the heavy riffs and hash brutal of Mark Jensen, you'll realize what I mean.

Riffs, sometimes being really dazzling, generally contain heavy/thrash/power, even progressive metal. The reason of the riffs' being dazzling just for 'sometimes' is because of Epica's being a Symphonic band of course, and in a Symphonic Metal band, you don't always need some dazzling riffs, you need a collectivity. And considering about the collectivity of "Design Your Universe", I can say it's nothing but dazzling. As to lead guitar, I don't know whether some outstanding partitions and solos are written by the founder of the band, Mark Jensen or the new guitar player he added to the band but if these are the new guitar player's work, I have to say Mark Jensen done a very good job choosing him.

Epica proves to be one of the best theme composers with this album again; it's just a feast. The form of the music is not always European, the mystical athmosphere of the eastern world also plays a role in some parts. The layout of songs; where to boil up or where to calm down, where to get in to a new variation, all are adjusted perfectly. Maybe that's the reason why every second of the album is delightful. I'm ready for torturing to whom says "Epica is colorless and boring", at least for this album.

Design Your Universe is also an indicator of the band's running its own style at its full pelt. But there are certainly some exceptions. In some parts, an obvious huge progressiveness can be realised. I think if the band gets more into that, everything would be quite different. I think this progressiveness and more varied style just cries out like "Rush me uuup!". I remember saying "Nightwish" at the beginning of the review. Getting back to it, I must say that the current Epica is a way, way better than the current Nightwish, and even Haggard, who did so little new stuff but repeated itself (well not maybe 'way' better than Haggard's new album, but I think it's obviously sounds better).

If you already like the old stuff of Epica, you mustn't miss that one. Moreover, if you don't like the old ones, I strongly suggest you to give another chance. Because "Design Your Universe" is the peak point of Epica. It's time that Epica is compared with Therion and Haggard.

Choir is one of the most important determinants of Symphonic Metal. But what determines the characteristics of Epica as to vocals is Simone Simons, who has a parching effect on us. Along with her attitudes and detrimental image, with her voice that makes listener leave the concept of concreteness, what the hell can anyone feel something other than pure adoration? Because my adoration is a bit redundant, I want to dedicate the end of my review to her:

"Dear Simone, you're an existence which god created diligently for himself, but accidentally sent to the earth. If you're a human, I must be something else. Best regards".

ABR157 (4)
A seemingly revived Epica reach teh peak of their career with Design Your Universe....

Rugter32
October 31st 2009

I seriously need to check this album out, will be seein' them live Dec. 8. Also, good review, pos'd

November 1st 2009

Good first review. This album surprised me considering how average this band has been.

jrowa001
November 1st 2009

same here Willie. i've never liked one of their albums from start to finish, but this one was pretty good. some of the symphonic parts were too high in the mix

November 1st 2009

Good review, no interest in checking this out.

Digging: Reverend Bizarre - Return to the Rectory

November 1st 2009

Damn, your tastes have changed so much since you first got here.

Essence
November 1st 2009

what about me willie critique me!

Poet

I may check this out.

Zip
November 1st 2009

don't much like this band but I might give it a shot.

November 1st 2009

I guess so Willie. I dont know what happened to my infatuation with Nightwish and these kind of bands. Guess i'm not as much of a positive patty as I was in 2007/08.

November 1st 2009

Thanks for the assesments guys. I'll be back with some other reviews soon.

November 1st 2009

what about me willie critique me!
ha ha, I don't remember who's alt. account this is anymore.

Zip
November 1st 2009

Jacktiger is now known as Essence.

November 1st 2009

I thought he was known as something else... is he known as three things now?

Altmer
November 1st 2009

have yet to to hear this may do it and review it as well

if i don't listen to this the gf will yell at me or sth idk

Ulsufyring
November 1st 2009

people are known as many things

for instance, zip is known as stupid

November 3rd 2009

Ah, did he give away your secret identity? ;)

Ulsufyring
November 3rd 2009

he tried so hard but the fact remains no one likes him oh burn

Altmer
November 4th 2009

If you want others to like you stop misusing one of the coolest pokemon as your avatar. Articuno doesn't resemble an ass like you.

November 4th 2009

The song "Kingdom of Heaven - A New Age Dawns - prt V" is surely one of the best monuments of its genre, and the best song of Epica ever for me. Meanwhile, the song is among my top 3 in Symphonic Metal. Shit, once I push the 'play' button, I can't change this 13-minutes-masterpiece.

I'd really like to share that, so, for part 1 :