Mike Posner
One Foot Out the Door

1.5
very poor

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
October 31st, 2009 | 18 replies | 8,935 views

Review Summary: Mike Posner is a pop star - who will in all likelihood achieve mainstream success - posing as a rapper with a concept and an alternative style. He doesn't even have a rap format. Mike Posner = Kanye West + Drake/Pop.

Mike Posner is a singer/songwriter/producer. Interestingly enough, he is a senior currently attending Duke University. He’s signed to J Records. He’s on the same stages as the likes of Akon. His second album “One Foot Out The Door” was released on iTunes (for free) October 28th, 2009.

Right out of the gate you can tell where Mike Posner is going with the album. The first track and the album say all that needs to be said. His style certainly falls under the “alternative rap” category. The productions he uses are unconventional, futuristic, and kooky. And rather than rapping, he sings. Not to mention he obviously uses autotune. His lyrics aren’t conventional, true rap lyrics. He raps – no, sings – about love, life decisions, and money. In fact, I change my mind - he’s not a rapper, he’s a pop singer. This is evidenced by one song featuring 3OH!3 and all the house music DJ remixes. He’s basically another Drake, except a little bit worse.

His flow and voice is euphoric and abstract like a Kanye West album cover. Oddly, you feel like you’re sort of floating when you listen to him sing. But, he attempts to be a concept rapper, and results in being just another mainstream-sounding pop star. He’ll show up on the radio, I’d bet money on it. But, he should not declare himself a rapper. Why other rappers like Saigon and Bun B collaborate with him is perplexing. He sings, his beats aren’t necessarily rap beats, and he doesn’t sing rap lyrics. The format doesn’t sound like a rapper to me.

He has a terrible formula, and he overuses it. This album is very poor. Mike Posner has some talent, but it’s not as a rapper, because he isn’t one. He attempts to be a Drake or a Kanye West type, and he somewhat succeeds as a watered-down pop version of them, which is not by ANY means a compliment. The only reason he is being labeled as hip-hop (for the review) is because people consider him to be that.He will, in all likelihood, achieve mainstream success. But, if you like real rap, you should dismiss Mike Posner entirely. It’s not worth a download, even when it’s free.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
2.4

AtavanHalen
October 31st 2009

Cool. Never heard of this guy.

October 31st 2009

Yea, I saw him on DatPiff the other day. Today I saw him on iTunes. So I decided to give it a shot. I kind of rushed it, so there are some flaws in the writing. But thanks for commenting. I appreciate it.

combustion07
October 31st 2009

You're a reviewing machine man!
I won't be checking this out anytime soon

AtavanHalen
October 31st 2009

No worries, dawg. (c wut i did thar)

Kronzo
October 31st 2009

I feel like you talked too much about him not being a rapper. It was a decent review but i would have liked to hear more about why you didn't like it.

KILL3
October 31st 2009

more like mike poser amirite

klap
October 31st 2009

guy played at my college last week. pretty terrible

Digging: Literature - Chorus

October 31st 2009

Thanks for the constructive criticism Kronzo. Haha Kill3. Thanks for commenting everyone!

tarik28
November 1st 2009

He’s basically another Drake, except a little bit worse.

how do you compare mike posner to drake. drake is a rapper that sings a bit, mike posner is a singer. they are totally different. i am not saying mike posner is a great artist but you cant compare the two.

November 2nd 2009

Thanks for commenting. "A little bit worse" is the key phrase though. Drake isn't very good either.

guitarplaya3eb
November 4th 2009

This is easily worth the free download. This guy is gonna be huge, you can hear it. I think he is kind of like Kid Cudi, he can't really be put into a certain category. Part hip-hop, part pop, part creativity. Mixtape is dope though.

November 4th 2009

Yes, I agree. He's gonna be big, and he can't really be put into a certain category. But it's terrible.

Yotimi
June 7th 2010

Was forced to listen to 'Cooler than me' about 10 times this weekend. It might be the worst song I've ever heard.

Digging: Millie and Andrea - Drop The Vowels

lower401
June 14th 2010

i wouldnt knock on him. everyone likes different types of styles. mike posner has a different style. he is good if you like his style. like for instance. rappers like NAS, the game, ghostface killah, etc are completly horrible and should never have been signed to any record deals. but its just opinion, people like what intrigues them. and gangster rappers talkin bout getting shot and slurring words and talking about "bitches" in every song just doesnt intrigue me.

Yotimi
June 14th 2010

^lol

SwagChef
July 27th 2010

god this was like my fourth review and is pretty damn terrible but i called it. hes big right now, but i like "cooler than me" tbh

MichaelPhelps
August 17th 2010

this guy has big potential imo

cameraeye
June 5th 2012

This guy is utter shit. Both of his albums received a 1 from me.