Tech N9ne
K.O.D.

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
October 27th, 2009 | 61 replies | 21,698 views

Review Summary: This is the best rap album of the year so far, but is held back by a few bad songs and a couple bad beats. Definitely worth taking a look at though. Tech N9ne brings creativity and energy to this album, and he brings it hard.

K.O.D. (or King of Darkness), which was released October 27th 2009 is already – and not even a full day in – Tech N9ne's best selling album of all time on iTunes. You don’t even have to listen to a single track to know what Tech N9ne is all about. One glance at the album cover tells you. Tech N9ne is still the same rapper he’s been all along. He’s still bringing a sick flow while delivering dark twisted, evil-genius lyrics. Tech N9ne has never been afraid to swim upstream, he’s always addressed taboo subjects in his lyrics, and even named his own label ‘Strange Music’. And his success hasn’t changed him at all…

There are quite a few good songs on this album, “Demons” featuring Three 6 Mafia and “Hunterish” featuring Irv da Phenom being the best. Tech N9ne starts Demons out the right way- “I’m an angel slash demon…” and later goes on to contribute the best verse on the song, despite DJ Paul and Juicy J adding good verses attempting to snatch the spotlight from Tech. The chorus is dark with a lady singing, leading up to - “There’s a demon inside me, can I kill it? HELL NO!” Tech is the way he’s always been on his verse, while Paul and Juicy are back to their Triple Six selves that everyone loves. This makes Demons a Tech N9ne classic and the best on the album. Hunterish, the second best, features a beastly chorus, with a low and scratchy voice repeating “You’re one hundred, we so hunterish.” Irv da Phenom steals the show, spitting fire at rapid speeds during his mid-song verse. The entire song is full of witty lines. Example: “I’m a sexual predator, better alert tha neighbors/Cuz they desperate housewife is just my flavor/Darth Vader/Pullin’ out my lightsaber/Cuz they like my hard **** call it now-n-laters!” Even these are the two best songs on the album, there are plenty of other good songs to be had on K.O.D, be sure to check out the whole album.

Tech has a lot of great characteristics as a rapper. He’s often a brilliant writer, he has a great flow, a good delivery, and has a vibrant energy about him. One of my friends says Tech N9ne has the best concerts he’s ever been to. But, let’s talk about this album in specific. Tech N9ne shows a lot of creativity on this album, more than he usually does. Shadows On The Road has a jazzy element to it that is quite pleasing, with a piano sample and a chorus that is sung so jazzily I would have thought it was a young, alive, much smoother Louie Armstrong. The Martini is an R&B song, which is nice because – as the last track on the album – it’s a calm wind-down. It works as a cool down, as if you were going to take a rest. Or even as an intermission from the regular raps, as you get ready to play it through yet again. In Show Me a God, he proves he can be a meaningful rapper – “Show me a god/If there is, one ain’t doing his job.” And talks about the injustice done to Hurricane Katrina victims, among other subjects. The lyrics on that track do Tech N9ne, because many people would peg Tech N9ne as a guy that is just a “devil rapper”. But, if you dig into his discography, you can find songs that have purpose and meaning to them, which is a refreshing trait that most rappers’ work doesn’t have. There are still the regular Tech N9ne songs on here, but a little diversity is always good. Techa Nina showed a lot of creativity on this album…and not to mention - his flow, delivery, and lyrics are all good as usual.

But, like all musical artists, Tech has a few weaknesses. One minor flaw is that he doesn’t always pick the best beats. Don’t get me wrong, there are some good beats on K.O.D, quite a few actually. But, there’s a few beats that just dull songs. A few examples: The Show Me a God beat’s tempo goes well with Tech N9ne’s flow, but is just somewhat bothersome background noise that bogs down Tech N9ne’s flow and meaningful lyrics by taking the spotlight off of them; Leave Me Alone is something I would expect to hear on a Brittany Spears album; and Horns is just so pedestrian and the beat during the chorus sounds uniquely Nsync-esque. Which brings me to my next point. Another flaw is that some of his choruses are just plain WEAK. Strange Music Box goes hard during the verses, but the chorus is just pathetic. I would definitely know the song title if I heard it on the radio, seeing as Strange Music Box was repeated several times. It’s slightly catchy, but is not reminiscent of the lyrical prowess Tech N9ne possesses in his verses. The chorus in Show Me a God is meaningful, but painful. Bad choruses pop up a little too often with Tech N9ne, and while he needs to fix that, it’s nothing that completely will completely ruin a song.

K.O.D is an excellent album, with very few flaws. As my friend – who owns all of Tech N9ne’s music – said “This is his best album yet.” But, I’m going to stop referencing my friend and quote myself on this next one - “This is the best rap album of the year, so far.” K.O.D is now available on iTunes for $11.99. I highly recommend taking a look.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus

October 27th 2009

Somewhat rushed this. Might have a few flaws. Please comment.

October 27th 2009

I'm looking forward to this, but I'm waiting to buy it.

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

October 27th 2009

It's already out. But, that's always a good idea. Alot of people just impulse buy with hearing only 30-second samples, or sometimes even none of it. In about a week all the songs will be on YouTube so you could hear the full songs.

October 27th 2009

No, I'm going to impulse buy without having heard any of it. I just need to go to BestBuy this weekend.

fromtheinside
October 27th 2009

oh tecca ninas still around?
i might pick this up, but honestly nothing will ever top caribou lou.

Digging: Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds

October 27th 2009

Well, it's not a bad purchase (of the whole album) WillieFisterbut, but, you would be better off only buying just the good songs after listening to it.

Yea, he's still around. You should pick this up, it's a good album. Was never a big fan of him until I heard this.

BIGDOG
October 27th 2009

i say it was an excellant album tech has always been my favorite it might have a few flaws but it dont matter hes the shit and always will be.

October 27th 2009

Yea, it's quite good. I've not always been a fan, but now I am. I'm not going to be as big a fan as I am of Gucci Mane, but I'll be keeping tabs on Tecca Nina.

October 28th 2009

There are billboards around where I live for this, I love Tech, I'll pick it up ASAP

PanasonicYouth

this dude's from my area
everyone loves him
i've yet to hear anything by him besides slackers or whatever its called

October 28th 2009

Yea it's an excellent album combustion07, not every track is good, so it's not perfect, but it's still an excellent album.

He's really good, you should check him out UhhKris.

Thanks for commenting guys.

October 28th 2009

I'm reading that this album is a little darker than his previous ones. My favorite is still Absolute Power.

foreverendeared
October 28th 2009

Awesome album, hopefully this doesn't go overlooked.

October 28th 2009

Yea it's a little bit darker than some of his other stuff. "In the Trunk" and "Demons" go pretty hard. In The Trunk he talks about kidnapping a woman for insulting him, and Demons is just satanic.

foreverendeared - Yea, but Tecca Nina is now at the peak in terms of fan base. So I think it should get pretty good exposure. Twista, who is outta the midwest, had his album Category F5 at the top of the charts for awhile. I think Tech should see similar success.

foreverendeared
October 28th 2009

Yeah i figured this album will get him some pretty good mainstream exposure, but I was meaning here on Sputnik more than anything else.

this dude's from my area
everyone loves him
i've yet to hear anything by him besides slackers or whatever its called

Hey Kris, you from KC?

Flatliner
October 30th 2009

Man i loved anghellic and everready. whats this shit?

October 31st 2009

Woah! I can understand if you just weren't so high on it, but a one? That's harsh. A Soulja Boy album is 1.5 on here. I respect your opinion and your right to say it, but I disagree with it.

October 31st 2009

For some reason people feel the need to give an album that was letdown a 1 because they went in with high expectations... this is definitely better than Soulja Boy

October 31st 2009

That's a great point, combustion07. People will often rage-rate albums and make them appear worse than they are because they came in with high expectations and it was a letdown.