Sacramentum
Far Away from the Sun

by psycho888999 USER (20 Reviews)
October 27th, 2009 | 31 replies | 3,711 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sacramentum's epic.

Sacramentum is a melodic black metal band in the vein of Dissection. Many people will dismiss this band as simply another bland clone in the musical movement, but nothing can be further from the truth. Sacramentum's songs are infinitely more well crafted and flowing than Dissection's, and they have a blatant classical influence stamped all over them. Imagine The Somberlain sped up two times faster and with a lot less meandering and you'll get this album.

The production is rather strong. The drums punch their way out to the forefront, while the guitars just float slightly beneath them. There is considerable reverb and echo caused by both instruments, causing a spacious and airy feeling adding to the epic nature of the songs. The bass is on the same level of said echoes, making for a powerful hum in the background. The vocals are on the same level also, completing the tasteful wall of sound supporting the drums and lead guitar. Everything simply clicks without being over polished.

The music is what makes this album timeless. The classical influences show through brilliantly in the meticulous songwriting. The phrases flow together perfectly, slickly sliding from motif to motif without losing any momentum. Where Dissection's compositions were occasionally choppy and questionable in their quest to emulate classical composition, Sacramentum somehow pull it off in an almost Wagnerian fashion. The songs are extremely dramatic and emotional without falling into the realm of cheesiness. They are constant climaxes- an attack with no rest. There is little to no buildup in the songs, but any lax would cause the crowing victorious nature of the album to lose steam. Amon Amarth and a gaggle of other melodeath bands try to emulate this holy grail of 'constant climaxes', but fall short due to inane songwriting. The melody in itself is a vicious attack on the senses- a complex weaving of melodic and triumphant notes with a sinister undercurrent telling of an inversion of classical sentiments. When coupled with the acrobatic drumming and throat ripping vocals, the music turns into the ultimate manifestation of the conflicting forces in human nautre- turbulant, destructive, but ultimately transcendant and triumphant when faced with true adversity. Where most black metal carries a feeling of longing and wandering, this feral incarnation presents us with the aftermath of the quest for meaning- a victorious homecoming of sorts if you will. One extremely important element of metal is romanticism, and this band captures it in it's full essence. In short, this is neoclassical music done right.

Simply put, this is a classic piece of metal worthy of both your time and money. I can safely say that this band has taken Dissection's sound and perfected it to beyond anything Jon Nodtvedt could ever achieve. It's a pity that the sensationalization of Dissection's frontman stole the thunder from many other worthier bands such as this. What's even more disappointing is that Sacramentum is split up now. However, their legacy still stands strong as a hidden gem in the sea of mediocrity that is black metal. Get this album even if you aren't into metal. You'll be in for a pleasant surprise.

Absu TaraSerpent (JPN) Cradle of Insanity
Sarcofago I.N.R.I.At The Gates The Red in the Sky Is Ours
Amorphis The Karelian IsthmusMayhem Grand Declaration of War
4.2
CaptainDooRight (4.5)
Melody in my BM has never tasted so good....

Adam Thomas STAFF (4)
Think of it like Dissection, but without the murder, racism and other bullshit associated with Jon N...

mortalsoullefttodie (4.5)
Although it is not completely Kvlt, Far away from the sun is a very impressive, and evil melodic bl...

Crysis
October 27th 2009

Definitely not a classic.

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

SCREAM!

Agreed. Good review but I'd still take Dissection any day of the week

Digging: Old Witch - Come Mourning Come

BillEco

Agree with the 3.5's

October 27th 2009

i like this more than dissection tbh

Yazz_Flute

Storm of the Lights Bane > This > All other stuff by Dissection

Digging: The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

SCREAM!

Bodom..you need to listen to The Somberlain again I think

nah, just this

Yazz_Flute
October 27th 2009

This and the Somberlain are really close. I find this easier to listen to though.

Hawks
October 27th 2009

The Somberlain is a lot better than this, but this is still great.

Digging: Sun Worship - Elder Giants

plutosatanclubhouse
October 27th 2009

Great review for an amazing album.

This is way better than the Somberlain which is, I think, pretty inconsistent in its delivery.

Motiv3
October 27th 2009

Storm > This > Somberlain. All 3 albums are amazing.

Digging: Punch - They Don?t Have To Believe

Crysis
October 27th 2009

What is wrong with you people thinking this is better than The Somberlain.

Hawks
October 27th 2009

Yeah I know. You guys have some problems.

Hyperbore
October 28th 2009

Dissection is for posers and faggots. This rules.

haven't heard this

dissection is massively overrated, and the somberlain is better than storm anyway

Willie
October 28th 2009

Why do you say such hurtful things??? The last incarnation of Dissection was overrated and that last album was shit, but not the two before it. I haven't really bothered with these guys so might as well try.

kinda agree with 'putin
trey if you like Dissection in any way you'll like this

October 28th 2009

I'm actually serious this time! Storm of the Light's Bane is grossly overrated - I don't think that album is more than a 3/5. The Somberlain I quite enjoy, it has far more depth, but even that is overrated by a lot of people.

Willie
October 28th 2009

I can't really remember The Somberlain anymore because I always throw on Storm... if I'm in the mood for Dissection. Who's in your avatar?

October 28th 2009

martina gedeck, she's a german actress. dunno how big you are on film, but she's been in a few big ones, such as das leben der anderen (the lives of others) and the recent der baader-meinhof komplex