Pain of Salvation

- Anette Kumlin-oboe
- Nils-─ke Pettersson-clarinet
- Dries van den Poel-bass clarinet
- Sven-Olof Juvas-tuba

This is one interesting live DVD. It was perfromed before the actual BE album was released. SO, it's interesting to see some of the original ideas that the band had planned out (Different lyrics in Lilium Cruentus, No vocals in the middle section of Nihil Morari, different guitar solo in Iter Impius).

The stage set-up is very interesting. The drummer Johan Langell is way in the back and can't be seen at most times unless the cameras are focused on him. The orchestra is towards the left all packed up as a bunch. Johan Hallgreen is on the right side of the stage with a bongo drum set-up behind him that he uses occasionally (most notably in Imago). And Daniel Gildenlow is of course the center of attention, in the middle of the stage. But also their is a mini pool. That's right a pool, in the middle of a metal concert. The pool is really only used in Iter Impius as DG acts out the part of Mr. Money and drops the sunglasses (symbol of something, it's explained in the band commentary) into the pool.

The songs of BE really take a new perspective in this DVD. I feel like all the songs are even more powerful than on the album. Especially the outro to Iter Impius. It's such a giant climax of what cam before it and DG really whales his heart out.

Of course, Lilium Cruentus has different lyrics than on the studio album. I must say that both of the versions of the song have excellent lyrics. Although, I prefer the live version of both the lyrics and the song.

Now, onto the extras. The band commentary is done by Fredrik Hermansson and Daniel Gildenlow. It's basically Daniel spewing out all of his ideas of the concept while Fredrik sits there. It's actually very interesting to listen as they talk about pretty much everything that concerns the performance.

There's also more messages taken out of Vocari Dei as the extras. There's another special message after you figure out the first code made by the drum god Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater.

Also, once you find out the first code, there's an alternate band commentary done by Hermansson and DG. It's basically just them making jokes the whole time. It's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. I won't give away what any of it is, but there's some pretty funny stuff in there.

The DVD has an excellent version of Martius/Nauticus II. In my opinion, it blows away the studio version of the song. Same goes for Imago. Both songs are performed beautifully and have much more power live.

The DVD also comes with a 48-page booklet. Included in it are pictures, lyrics, ideas about the concept, and much more. It also comes with a CD version of the performance so you can hear it at any time.

Overall, I'd reccomend this to any fan of Pos, even if you hated the studio version of BE. The live DVD will give you more insight on the concept, among other things.

5/5

4.4

Ace_of_Bass2112
December 5th 2005

i like live albums as much as the next person, and i alos like Orchestras. But you didn't tell me what this band sounds like at all and i have never heard them before so. Maybe you could just tell me was band they sound like the most or add some content to your review or something but please talk about the music and not the 48 page booklet ill get with the purchase of this dvd

If that came off as harsh didn't mean to. just trying to be helpful

'ace

bball_1523
May 12th 2006

a must buy dvd if you enjoy Pain of Salvation. These guys are flawless musicians, I love their style, and they play with the most intense emotion I've ever heard in all of progressive rock.

M A D R I G A L
June 8th 2007

This DVD is just amazing. No words can really describe the beauty in this disc.

jrowa001
October 5th 2007

i need this soo bad

Athom
July 25th 2009

my friend made me watch this the other day. I can't stand these guys.
edit: what the fuck. why is this the top rated release on here. UGH.

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

OmairSh
August 25th 2013

Still need to check this oot

Digging: Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes