Between the Buried and Me
The Great Misdirect

by Xenophanes EMERITUS
October 26th, 2009 | 10 replies

Review Summary: Varied, grandiose, epic, with some"been there done that" thrown in the mix.

"The Great Misdirect" is is the fifth album from prog/metalcore band Between the Buried and Me. A lot of hype had surrounded this album because it is the follow up to what is considered their magnum opus, "Colors." "Colors"was the accumulation of everything BTBAM had been progressing towards. Epic compositions, incredible musicianship, and world class wankery. Songs like "Ants of the Sky" and "White Walls" were indulgent as hell, but were well written none the less. Imaginative and endlessly listenable, "Colors" showcased a band with limitless ideas, performing at the height of their career.

Two years later, "The Great Misdirect" is released. How does it stack up to the preceding and immortalized album. Well, aside from a slight progression, this album is pretty much Colors v2.0. The band out right stated that they had planned to out do their last album, which makes this seem slightly forced. About an hour of music separated by six tracks, an obvious progression from the long compositions of the previous record, but contrived none the less.

There really is not a "bad" song on the album. It's full of all the highs and lows, the louds and softs one comes to expect from the band. Although much of the material seems to be borrowed from "Colors," the band does a commendable job at writing songs that hold the listener's interest. "Fossil Genera" offers the albums strangest song. A catchy, funk oriented intro leading into a harsher midsection. "Mirrors" and "Desert of Song" are the slower, more subdued tracks. Compared to the other songs, these seem less grand in scope, as they are much shorter and more focused. "Obfuscation" is your standard fare, closely related with "Fossil Genera" and "Ants of the Sky." Instrumental intro, harsh moment, soft moment, closer.

"Swim to the Moon" is the highlight of the album, and quite possibly one of the bands better songs. Clocking in at 18 min. in length, the track is sprawling. Although this representative of BTBAM better than any song on the album, it's a testament to their lack of freshness and ideas. It seems like they set out to make an epic song, wider in scope than anything else before. Add an outstanding chorus, a few amazing guitar solos, and some of the best drumming of the bands career. But what do they do with the eight minutes or so left. Improvise. And that is really what it comes down to, appeasing their fans with a truckload of inconsistent wankery. Its fantastic, but some may be turned off by its breadth.

"The Great Misdirect" is truly a great album. It's beautiful, heavy, and more technical than damn near any album this year. The band works well together, and it shows. The music is obviously written by a collective unit, rather than separate entities. Yet I can't help but think this effort seems a little forced. In trying to top one album, they've created one a little too close to it. Some might call this "playing it safe." I find it hard to believe they've run out of ideas. Instead it sounds like they have opted to stick to close to a proven formula. In short, if you are a fan, you will love this. If BTBAM has eluded your interest in the past, this does little to capture it now.

Mono Requiem For HellGorguts Pleiades' Dust
Deftones GoreCobalt Slow Forever
Howls of Ebb Cursus Impasse: The Pendlomic VowsYndi Halda Under Summer

October 26th 2009

I agree with this review more than the others. Nicely done.

October 26th 2009

not gonna read any of the reviews for this unless it's done by staff. k bai

October 26th 2009

I don't understand the hate for this album.

5 classic

Between The Buried And Me The Silent Circus

Between The Buried And Me Colors

Between The Buried And Me Alaska

Between The Buried And Me Colors_LIVE

Between The Buried And Me The Great Misdirect

October 26th 2009

I like the album but I have to admit as a BTBAM fanboy that this CD does not live up to the hype that colors created. Colors is a better CD all around. I think my personal favorite song so far is Mirrors. Its just a really relaxing piece that is very very well composed.

Good review bro

October 26th 2009

Yeah, you can rate the album and the review separately.

October 26th 2009

i never really understood that concept. why rate a review differently than what you actually feel? if you're biased, explain why you're biased - generally people who take the time to review have good reasons to be biased, not just "omg i love this band so much all their albums are 4+."

October 26th 2009

This is the best review up yet; I can tell that having not heard the album.

Two-Headed Boy
October 26th 2009

Indeed, this is the best review up.

It also just happens to be the one I agree with the most.

October 27th 2009

I don't understand the hate for this album.

5 classic