Mastodon
Leviathan

by Luke M. Jenkins (Confessed) USER (58 Reviews)
August 22nd, 2005 | 22 replies | 4,784 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Mastodon are currently, in my opinion, one of the only metal bands breaking new ground within the scene. They combine crushingly heavy riffs with intricate song structures and concept album themes. Their third offering and second major release, 'Leviathan', is an exceptional album blending all of the aforementioned. Now, I was annoyed with myself when I accidentally rated this album as a 0.5 and I have decided to clear up any issues by typing up this review. I hope you find it interesting in some way.

What is good about the album?

There are several very good things to be said about 'Leviathan'. For starters, there are several pleasing tracks to be heard and some wonderful guitar wizardry courtesy of Bill Kelliher and Brent Hinds. Troy Sanders who also plays bass on th3e album contributes some excellent vocals on nearly every track and the drumming of Brann Dailor is utterly fantastic. The standout tracks on this album have to be Blood And Thunder, Seabeast, Iron Tusk, Aqua Dementia, Hearts Alive and Joseph Merrick. When you consider that is six out of the ten tracks on the CD, that is a pretty good feat in itself.
The album's concept is based on the Herman Melville novel 'Moby Dick', and many of the song titles and their lyrics relate to this concept. In all, it is a really cool concept to write an album on and Mastodon have succeeded in doing a grand job. However, the real standout point here that cannot go unmentioned is the epic 14-minute long 'Hearts Alive'. The song boasts some marvellous riffs, well thought-out lyrics, brutal riffs and a monstrous solo.

What is not so good about the album?

Well, there are a couple of annoying tracks that need mentioning. 'I Am Ahab' is not a particularly bad song but it just riles me for some reason. Perhaps it is because I just have not got a clue what the lyrics are about. It is a good thing it is a short track. Another annoying track is 'Naked Burn'. It starts off okay but the vocals are awful when they come in. 'Island' is crushingly heavy but sort of fades and becomes a little boring. Some listeners may also be put off by the fact that it is hard to hear what Troy Sanders is actually singing bevause he is drowned out just a little by the instruments and he is yelling his socks off. Others may be put off by the main concept of the album and the fact it is based on a book about a whale. I must admit I was slightly apprehensive about it but you can really get into it if you are willing to.

Why buy?

Overall, 'Leviathan' is a rip-roaring album (hence it's perfect score) and it is one of the most ambitious, progressive metal albums you are ver likely to buy this decade. And there are six killer tracks on the CD so it is definitely good value for money.

Hope you enjoyed this review. I will hopefully be writing more in the future.

Track Ratings

Ace_of_Bass2112

its a good album but not a 5/5

Priestmetal
August 22nd 2005

This is another one of those bands thats getting lots of adulation from users here. I should check them out but I seriously bet they aren't anything THAT special.

M A D R I G A L
August 22nd 2005

They're good, and I think they are a breath of fresh air in the metal genre, but the album is no higher than a four. But then again, that's only my opinion.

pixiesfanyo
August 22nd 2005

this isn't a breath of fresh air.

this is suck.

M A D R I G A L
August 22nd 2005

You've been sadly mistaken...Fall Out Boy is suck...

Thor
August 22nd 2005

This is a great CD, but definetly not good enough to make it a classic. Hopefully their next CD might be worthy of that position. :thumb:

Werny
June 16th 2006

You have no clue what I Am Ahab is about? I've only heard the song once and haven't read the lyrics but I can tell what it's about. Good review too, nice and concise.

necromouse

i dont like you

PaulMako
June 16th 2006

This album is amazing. If not a 5 then defiantly a 4.5 . When I first heard it I must admit it didnt hit me as anything special, but when I listend again about half a year later I completly fell in love with it. You need to accept it for what it is, stop thinking Blood and Thunder is the only good song and just enjoy the freshness, skill and sheer heavyness of this band. I cannot wait for Blood Mountain to come out.

Cravinov13
June 16th 2006

Good review. I do not see the amazing spark in these guys that a lot of other
people see. To me their just average.This Message Edited On 06.16.06

January 21st 2008

Phenomenal album. Listened to it again the other night and even the weaker tracks are still kickass.

RJayZ
January 21st 2008

I really like this review, and I find myself agreeing almost completely with it. I like your straight to the point approach.

This really is an incredible album, though. I honestly think Hearts Alive is one of the best prog metal tracks I've ever listened to.

January 21st 2008

Hearts Alive kicks ass. Every riff in that song is relevant and so well written. Structurally speaking, I think it is their best song.

RJayZ

I agree.

The outro riff is one of my favourite metal riffs pretty much ever. It's just incredible.

Wizard

19248 Comments

I found one of the best tracks on here to be their Pink Floydian sounding song Joseph Merrick. I am Ahab rules too!

Digging: Nachtmystium - The World We Left Behind

January 21st 2008

Joseph Merrick was my favourite track from here for a while. I yearned to learn it on guitar but couldn't find any tabs. The amount of twists and turns throughout make it such a remarkable and brilliant little instrumental. Mastodon's instrumentals are all pretty exceptional. Elephant Man from Remission is also awesome.

Wizard

19248 Comments

I have no idea how people think these guys have no talent. I've heard that around here from a few people who claim to be 'supposed' experts on metal.

LifeInABox
January 21st 2008

This album was amazing. Blood Mountian sucked horribly.

January 21st 2008

Nah. Not as good as this but it didn't suck.

HeadCharge123
June 26th 2008

I think I just about prefer this over Blood Mountain.