Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Requiem in D minor, K. 626

by keysofanxiety USER (9 Reviews)
October 20th, 2009 | 25 replies

Release Date: 1791 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Mozart's final ever work- Definitely the album of the year (albeit that year is 1791)

Vienna, December 5th, 1791. A bedridden and impoverished Mozart finally loses his ongoing struggle with rheumatic fever. Tightly clutching the pages of his final composition, he utters a single sentence before passing away. . . “Why the **** hasn’t anybody reviewed my Requiem on Sputnikmusic yet?”

Though you may be considering a snide remark about my overactive imagination, the fact is, that for all we know, Mozart’s death could well have happened exactly like that (although, to tell you the truth, I’m not sure my interpretation was entirely accurate.)

You see, the problem is that nobody quite knows the circumstances surrounding Mozart’s death on that fateful day. His final composition, ‘Requiem’, is coated in controversy- it is rumoured that Mozart believed he was writing the Requiem for his own funeral, not to mention that it was actually left unfinished at his death, leaving it to be completed by another composer.

It’s a tale that has inspired books and films alike (the movie ‘Amadeus’, for instance), and frankly makes this epically orchestrated composition even the more tastier. But enough of this history lesson- what of the Requiem itself?

Firstly, it’s important to point out that this really is a grand effort, even to the point of instrumentation; Mozart wrote this for a full blown choir and a complete orchestra, making his final composition buttclenchingly powerful. It’s rather difficult to review this track by track- mainly because there are so many tracks, and I’m a little hungover at the moment.

But this Requiem has absolutely everything for the Classical music enthusiast, and I think most people (be it metal, punk, rock, etc etc) will appreciate this greatly as well. If you’re looking for a nice happy piece of music which will help you relax, then you’d better look elsewhere. This Requiem manages to sound sweet one moment, then grabs you by the b******* and twists until you’re screaming, sweating, and shaking.

Scary to listen to when going to sleep, great to listen to while playing Medieval Total War, and just plain dangerous if you put this on while you're driving.

I would say the highlight of this Requiem is definitely “Dies Irae” (roughly translated, The Day of Judgement. . . or in simpler terms, the most powerful two minutes of Classical music ever written).

Unfortunately, with everything brilliant, there’s usually something not so brilliant, and Mozart’s Requiem is no exception. Personally, I would recommend steering clear of “Tuba Mirum”- in my humble opinion, it doesn’t hold a candle to the rest of the Requiem, and I always find myself skipping past it.

To sum up Mozart’s Requiem: Utterly mind-blowing.

Recommended Tracks:

Avoid:

Tuba Mirum

Elliot Minor SolarisUlver 1993-2003: 1st Decade In The Machines
Bathory RequiemGuiseppe Verdi Missa da Requiem
Darkthrone Hate ThemSuicide Silence 2004 Demo (Family Guy Demo)

cvlts

first off, lol

next, okay review. I wouldn't expect anyone else to review this so...
the second paragraph can prty much get shorttened to one sentence and added to the first.

medieval total war ftw

October 20th 2009

I agree, this piece is wonderful. nice review. Singing this twice was so awesome. pos.

Dies Irae is the shit.

iranscam
October 20th 2009

look at how open minded my classical is

STOP SHOUTING!
October 20th 2009

Did he do a video for this?

"Dies Irae is the shit"

-EasternLight, I couldn't agree with you more! It's absolutely fantastic. For those who haven't heard it, I recommend searching for it on Youtube. It's powerful stuff.

goosebumps. so many.

and yes he did.

October 20th 2009

Ahahaha that link you set up is utterly. . . bizarre! I've just finished watching that video. . .

It was quite funny, mind =)

Incidentally, EasternLight, have you seen the film Amadeus? If so, what did you think of it?

October 20th 2009

yes i have seen it a few times. its good, but I wasn't too fond of the way mozart is portrayed in it. A great film anyway.

October 20th 2009

Yeah, definitely. Certainly, in the way Mozart was portrayed, I guess it had some elements of truth in it (childish humour, womanising etc), but what I didn't like about it was that they didn't really put across the passion that Mozart had in his music.

I mean, his music wasn't just written on a whim in his spare time- he put a lot of work and dedication into it, and I'm not sure that came across in the film.

Still, though. . . I don't particularly mind how Mozart's wife was portrayed in the film ;)

Woof woof =P

October 20th 2009

ohhhh yeah definitely. his legacy will live on. (has lived on)

Iai
October 21st 2009

Still never found a performance of this I really like.

mareep
October 21st 2009

not a big mozart fan either.

Vortilex
July 2nd 2010

I feel that Mozart culminated with this piece. Although many would argue that pieces such as the Jupiter symphony or Die Zauberflöte were better, I feel that all that needed to be said by Mozart in the Requiem were the Introit/Kyrie, and the Dies irae, to crown the Requiem as his culminating piece.

Lucian
September 9th 2010

This is some of the most beautifully composed music I've ever listened too. Inspires me to listen to more classical music. Mozart was truly a talented individual.

dcha
September 18th 2010

The vulnerability of the violins coupled with the intensity of the choir makes me almost tear every time I hear Lacrimosa.

Lucian
September 20th 2010

Lacrimosa is definitely my favorite track of the album.

Langstrompe
December 18th 2010

This is something I end up listening to every winter, the intro and Lacrimosa are the best bits for me.

Firecracker
March 25th 2012

The cadence at the end of Kyrie is the best cadence ever!!

branimirzivkovic
December 31st 2012

According to Mozart's biographer Alfred Einstein Requiem in d - minor is originally very fragmented peace which is obvious if you know Mozart's work. Introitus and Kyrie are Mozart's, for Dies Irae Mozart wrote bass, timpani and vocals. Tuba Mirum's only first one or two bars are Mozart's. Then we come to section again completed by Mozart: Rex Tremendae, Recordare and Confutatis after which there is very popular Lacrimosa, but Lacrimosa's only first 8 bars are Mozart's right to the end of first crescendo! It seems that this is last music that he finished, that moving moment.
After that it's very possible that Mozart left very extensive sketches for Domine Jesu and Hostias, and that's all! The piece which lasts almost an hour can be attributed solely to Mozart only in length of 25 minutes!! If you cut all other music which was composed by some other composer so Mozart widow could sell the piece after his death you can really enjoy this work very much.

Propose
January 5th 2013

album brings the blast beats