Natalie Imbruglia
Come to Life

good

by Davey Boy STAFF
October 15th, 2009 | 83 replies

Review Summary: A 2nd gear finally exists, but Imbruglia is still looking for Torn Mk.II.

Back in 1997, Natalie Imbruglia took the world by storm; earning a Grammy nomination for debut LP 'Left of the Middle' and breaking airplay records with its lead single 'Torn'. While television soap stars had previously made a successful crossover to pop music, it seemed Imbruglia was different. Here was a female vocalist who sang with a decidedly indie bent, and one who was even brave enough to kick-start her musical career with a cover of a practically unknown song. You won't see the kiddies on Idol do that!

Unfortunately, since 'Torn', Imbruglia's musical career has coughed and spluttered in between the occasional acting assignments and a tilt at modeling. Recording predominantly safe and unimaginative cuts, it seemed that Imbruglia's problem was that she was so single-mindedly searching for Torn Mk.II that she never pushed herself to moving into 2nd gear. With a little help from some... ummm... friends, the now 34 year old explores that 2nd gear and the results are mixed.

The first acquaintance who collaborates with Imbruglia here is long-ago flame Chris Martin. In fact, 2 tracks are practically off-cuts from Coldplay's critically acclaimed 'Viva La Vida' LP. It's apparent with 'Fun', a cut that is too grandiose for its own good. However, the quirky & unconventionally hooky Brian Eno produced 'Lukas' is a different matter, since Natalie's innocent sounding vocals truly make this her own (although I have to wonder whether Suzanne Vega is raising an eyebrow somewhere). Later, the catchy chorus of acoustic ballad 'Scars' is also a highlight, since it has that same likeable charm.

Half-way through 'Come To Life', listeners should be satisfied, but not surprised. The latter half however, does make an effort to spice things up, as Imbruglia searches for that 2nd gear with some electro-pop. Initial signs are positive since lead single 'Want' (which has been re-worked over the years and was co-written by Martin & ex-husband Daniel Johns) successfully delivers dreamy melodies over a satisfying programmed beat. Unfortunately, it all falls apart from there since Imbruglia lacks both the attitude and vocal strength to pull off dance numbers 'WYUT' & 'Cameo'. Thankfully, the joyous & celebratory 'Wild About It' does end things on a high note.

Originally to be released in Australia & throughout Europe in October, the physical release of 'Come To Life' in the U.K (her most popular market) has been pushed back to February 2010. It is a confounding decision since this may in fact be Imbruglia's most complete package. Cynics will suggest that is not saying much... and they would be correct. However, while she has not found Torn Mk.II and continues to prove her weaknesses as a vocalist, Imbruglia has at least shown some much welcome diversity here. That, along with her hallmark sweet melodies, means that 'Come To Life' is at least worth a listen.

Recommended Tracks: Lukas, Scars & Want.

Emmure Eternal EnemiesThe Pretty Reckless Going to Hell
Broods BroodsThe Jezabels The Brink
Fanfarlo Let's Go ExtinctAbandon All Ships Malocchio
Jake C. Taylor (3.5)
The fourth, the fresh, the fun and the fantastic – Imbruglia pertains them all here....

20857 Comments

Ok, now let's see if I can make this album art work... & then you can all get hypnotized by her eyes.

Tits McGee

Figured this was a John Hanson review

20857 Comments

Haha. Nah, he'd only review the photo of her on the front cover... If I can get it to work damn it.

EasternLight

ITS NOT WORKING NO

October 15th 2009

this is probably the best thing she has done since her debut

The Sludge
October 15th 2009

Isn't this the only thing she has done since her debut?

not at all

The Sludge
October 15th 2009

Oh, I haven't heard her name around since Torn.

Anyways, good review.

20857 Comments

Hanson is here... & he likes her again. He's infatuated!

Sludge, she's released 2 albums since her debut (excluding a 'Best Of').

I can't get the album art to work. MODS...

October 15th 2009

what do you mean he likes her again i dont understand this??

20857 Comments

I think you have been a little selective as to which of her albums you have rated (ie: the 2 better ones). In other words, you won't sink the boots into her... because you are in lurvvvve. :-)

AtavanHalen

Oh thank Christ it's you CK I thought =( had become staff

20857 Comments

Hehe. You are so mean to Jake. You've got him so paranoid that he jumped down my throat the other day when I told him he had over-rated this album. The fact that he had initially entered the wrong rating seemed to pass him by... & it's all because of you DavID. Your internet bullying can no longer go unpunished.

rasputin

i would totally go her

October 15th 2009

I have this and her debut rated simply because im pretty sure the other two didnt exist when i was rating albums. pretty sure i even added Glorious i just never bothered to rate it lol

20857 Comments

... & she'd go you Rasputin... But we can't all be as handsome as your good self!

Ok John, I'll forgive you. I still think you're in love. Changing your avatar was just a way to try & get over her.

October 15th 2009

i havent had my natalie avatar in over a year and a half what are you talking about!!

20857 Comments

What's the difference if you were trying to get over her 18 months ago or yesterday?

Lost love hurts, no matter what the time of the year.

Mordecai.
October 15th 2009

Those eyes, they are so piercing...

taylormemer

^^
Nah man. I added Glorious two months back. Oh and, yeah. My paranoia is cuz of Atavan. Just so predictable that is. Still, great album.