All That Remains
The Fall of Ideals

by sharkd93 USER (1 Reviews)
October 11th, 2009 | 13 replies | 1,678 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A Superb Listen From Beginning to End. Unfortunately There's a Lacking of Bass.

Being a 16 year old looking for a new sound in music is a tough job. Music is constantly changing and progressing with new sounds. But going back to basic metal is just what All That Remains has accomplished with The Fall of Ideals. This band has brought back the metal from the time of Metallica and Slayer. It's no wonder this album was number 75 on the Billboard 200.
The Fall of Ideals is such a great album because of the fact that although it reminds one of the 80's metal, it incorporates new elements of metal. From beginning to end, there is a nonstop onslaught of heavy riffs and melodic solos.
The album starts with a deep breath and then the loud scream of vocalist Philip Labonte in "This Calling." Underneath you can hear the sppedy footwork of drummer Shannon Lucas. Fast guitarist Oli Herbert and Mike Martin play their riffs, and the build up to the solo includes an intense drum roll. But when Oli begins to play the solo, a melody calms down the song just long enough to fool the listener into peace.
The next masterpiece would definitely be the power of "We Stand." With the fats shredding in the solo any metal fan will be pleased with this song. At track 7, we find the song "Six," which, while incorporating the footwork of Lucas and the guttural roar of Labonte, has an unmistakable entrance followed by one of the most peaceful solos of the whole album.
The final jewl of this album is the song "The Air That I Breathe." With the fast playing of the guitarists and Lucas playing his drums like and expert, we finally notice Jeanne Sagan's bass right before the solo. At the solo, it begins peacefully until Herbert begins shredding like a master.
All in all, this album is a great listen. Although there is a lack of bass, it is still a great weapon in the arsenal of any metal fan.

Recommended Songs:
1. This Calling
2. We Stand
3. Six
4. Become the Catalyst
5. The Air That I Breathe

user ratings (2083)

October 11th 2009

Be gentle, this is my first review. Thank you.

October 11th 2009

I'm also sorry for spelling mistakes.

Groink
October 11th 2009

Not a bad first review. I was listening to this earlier, kick-ass album.

sspedding
October 11th 2009

really short. Try and talk about the brand of music they play, not just that they sound like '80s metal' but use aspects of todays metal. What aspects are these? Are they really limited to modern metal?

You need to read more reviews before posting your next one. Btw sweet album.

Xenorazr
October 12th 2009

Yeah, you want to try and elaborate on your reviews; make them detailed but interesting.

BassDemon333
October 12th 2009

Yeah this is a bit too short. Great album though, I love everything about it.

Digging: Mudvayne - L.D. 50

Phrike
October 12th 2009

Good album, work on those reviews though

Greggers
October 12th 2009

Needs more detail, space your paragraphs better, other than that not a bad summary.

Phantom

Moooooooooooooooooo

shortone323
October 12th 2009

Album is great. Review is just a bit short and a little too vague. Not terrible though.

October 12th 2009

album is worthy of rating

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

October 12th 2009

I appreciate all of your criticisms.

keysofanxiety
February 10th 2010

Not a bad first review, actually. In terms of criticisms, I'll just repeat what other people have said above ^^^

However, what I'd perhaps recommend is that you consider reviewing an album that hasn't been reviewed by loads of other people.