Howl
Howl

by RATCHET SKANK 777 USER (203 Reviews)
October 7th, 2009 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Deathsludgestonerblackishdoom

I’m going to be real honest with you folks. I don’t know *** about sludge or stoner metal. I listen to a little Electric Wizard and Rwake here and there but I’m hardly the top hat wearing connoisseur of the respective styles. Nonetheless, I feel compelled to write about a sterling new outfit I just discovered not too long ago. The band is called Howl and in 2008 they put out a thundering three track behemoth of groove heavy, ass kicking, head bludgeoning heavy metal madness. I‘ll be truthful some more, I was actually lulled in by one of Decibel’s cover stories detailing guitar player Andrea’s role as an proficient band manger. Even more notable is that she’s extremely attractive, sports Entombed/Obituary gear, and ***ing slays on the guitar. I’m glad I checked them out because Howl are poised for big things.

Howl play a bastardized combination of death metal, stoner rock and sludge complete with all the prerequisites of the given styles. Thick churning grooves? Check. Scathing blackened screams and incomprehensible growls? Check. Rhythmic bass tapping and explosive drumming? Check. Solos? Check. The fantastic four piece offer nothing new in terms of originality but make up for it in creating some well executed guitar driven heavy metal lacking none of the bite or precision of their predecessors.

Without a doubt, Andrea and Vincent are the focal point of this EP. As a fairly solid guitar duo, they do a good job at keeping things musically interesting for the listener. Ranging from chunky mid paced riff fests to stoner-doom smoke out dirges, the two rip the *** unapologetically. Solos are present, not very speedy or extravagant but significant enough to elevate the EP’s strength projection from 7 to an 8.

In terms of vocal styles, Vincent utilizes a combination of deathly growls and ghastly screams. Both of which are muddied (in a positive way) by the hazy production. Lyrics are pretty hard to decipher but I don’t care enough to investigate any further. Tim and Rob or Rob and Tim pending on preference provide a sturdy rhythm section. Rob on the bass supplies a momentous four string assault as Tim rocks out with a consistently pounding set. One negative point id like to bring up about EP is how low the double bass feels in the mixing while the cymbals seem significantly higher. Not too much of a problem when compared to the otherwise un***able prowess of this relatively young group.

As short of a review this is I couldn’t really think of much else to say about a three track, fifteen minute offering other than it slaying hard. Fans of early Mastodon or Rwake or any similar band for that matter should give these guys and gal a spin as soon as possible. Howl, who in late October will be playing with Goatwhore and EyeHateGod seem poised to receive some big time exposure from this single show. If not I’ll eat my hat.

Destroyer 666 Of Wolves, Women & WarSo Hideous Last Poem/First Light
13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the WormTheophany Time's End: Majora's Mask Remixed
At Dawn They Sleep Red SunBlack Magick SS Panzerwitch

rasputin
October 7th 2009

why are you reviewing sludge

October 7th 2009

It's Balls in da flesh! Nice review. Guess I'll have to check it out since you like it.

October 7th 2009

I have no idea. All i know is I love this and I'm in the eye of the storm of yet another spastic musical phase.

Digging: Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith

Fxxkit13
October 7th 2009

Great review def. gonna check this out.

same

October 7th 2009

Frankly I didnt think this was anything. Dissapointing really considering this long stretch im in. Regardess band slays.

October 7th 2009

do you know if they are working on anything new?

Wizard

19508 Comments

Still better than most : ).

Great review and I want this now (after Mount Eerie).

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

October 7th 2009

I would be shocked if they werent. @ R.

October 7th 2009

call me wolfe, bro. tryin to see if that'll catch on

October 7th 2009

I'll go with wolffe for now, but you can't hide from the truth forever. YOU. ARE. RELINQUISHED.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yessss you know it.

FistfulOfSteel
October 7th 2009

good review bro, sounds like something right up my alley.

Zip

I'm slightly interested. Sounds br00tal

taylormemer

Slightly uninterested.

Zip

slightly gay

Crysis
October 8th 2009

Not sure if I'd like this... I'll youtube some songs and see. Nice work as usual good sir.

Digging: Swallowed - Lunarterial

jingledeath
October 8th 2009

I looked for this but couldn't find it. Read somewhere that it's streaming on their myspace but not being released till 2010.