Paramore
Brand New Eyes

good

by David K. USER (1 Reviews)
October 7th, 2009 | 43 replies

Review Summary: Like finding gems in a coal mine, they are few and far, but they are gems after all.

The incredibly popular pop punk band Paramore is at it again, with their 3rd studio album. Floating on their cloud of popularity, they shower us with their catchy sound and lyrics that can really connect with their fan base.

The band was essentially formed in a private school where Hayley met brothers Josh and Zac Farro.
Bassist Jeremy Davis and Hayley Williams were part of a Funk cover band.

Here's the review.

"Misguided Ghosts" and "Careful" are among the best of the album. But for every good song, there is at least one song that can make you wonder about the musical integrity of the album. See "Playing God". The chorus for the song fails to impress, and it seems as if Hayley is trying to fill the time with saying the same thing twice. She spews anger and mixes it with poor lyrics, a very bad combination.

But others throughout the album have a nice personal touch to them. Songs like “The Only Exception”, paired with an acoustic guitar, are one of the best examples. The chorus is on the weak side though and dare I say it, is pretty darn cliché. But you can tell that Hayley is really trying to say something there.

"Misguided Ghosts", is a good example of what "The Only Exception" should have been. Fairly good songwriting makes it an easier listen than the aforementioned. The song is nice and simple, and really gets you. Everything about the song is right, the guitar flows with the song seamlessly, the vocals are soft and full of emotion.
Other notable tracks include, Feeling Sorry and Looking Up.
"Where The Lines Overlap" is a very upbeat and happy song, a song for when everything is going right.

"Turn It Off" basically points out how life works, and is worth a listen.
"Bring By Boring Brick" might as well have a title change, maybe just call it "Boring", don't even bother with this song. Again, the chorus is a huge part of the song for me, and this chorus ranks among the worst of the songs.

There's really nothing special as far as the instrumentation goes, with the exception of the drums. It doesn't mess with the songs, but it doesn't really make them stand out either. I guess I can't really complain, as long as they're better than that of Linkin Park's, then you're doing something right.

Overall, "Brand New Eyes" is definitely worth a listen, don't expect anything lyrically profound, but, expect to have a great time.

Recommendations:

Brick By Boring Brick
Playing God

MentalityOfA
October 7th 2009

I did notice that this is fairly short, but I will gladly take any suggestions into serious consideration, seeing as this is my first review.

Thanks.

mvdu
October 7th 2009

I think it's a much more consistent album than you do, but in regards to the review: it's good for a first. I think my first review was my worst one. The review is a little disjointed, but I get your main points.

IndieOut
October 7th 2009

i downloaded this by im not interested at all so it's just sitting on my ipod.

Douchebag
October 7th 2009

I reckon Brick by boring brick is one of the better songs, but each to their own.

fromtheinside
October 8th 2009

playing god is a good song, why do people hate it...

Digging: Tragedy - Vengeance

cirq

Yep!

Thompsonhunt
October 8th 2009

decent review, especially for your first. meh album.

cirq
October 8th 2009

This is a nice album bro!!

Asiatic667
October 8th 2009

This album is like one of those toys that turn up in the cereal

October 8th 2009

hayley's pretty lyrically profound bro. trust me...i have the special edition with the extended lyric sheets and liner notes about every single song. it's deeper that it sounds.

Asiatic667
October 8th 2009

I didn't mean they poor music or lyrics. I was simply pointing out that Paramore is like that kid at Blockbuster who can't find BRIDE OF CHUCKY

October 8th 2009

nah i know, i was commenting on a statement in the review

October 8th 2009

This is pushing a four for me. Careful, The Only Exception and All I Wanted are really good.

taylormemer
October 8th 2009

You could push 4 on your entire 3.5 section.

October 8th 2009

Yeah nice choices Atavan. Those are definitely the best tracks, along with Ignorance and BBBB. Too bad the rest of the album is so mediocre in comparison.

October 8th 2009

Not really. Most of them are like "yeah, this is pretty good" but this is like "man, I'm really starting to love this"

taylormemer
October 8th 2009

Well, isn't that just convenient.

Douchebag
October 8th 2009

I'd have to agree with atavan, starting to think this should be a 4, plus ignorance is just so damn fun.

October 8th 2009

For me, the whole section from 'Turn It Off' to 'Misguided Ghosts' is like "Meh, this is really average." Fun, but average.

Idk...even if this record is more mature than Riot, it doesn't excite me like Riot did.

October 8th 2009

=(, are you just picking on me for shits and giggles? I don't mind at all; just checking.

I like Misguided Ghosts a lot. I do agree it's a more mature record overall, though.