Broadway
Kingdoms

by Shermanator USER (1 Reviews)
September 26th, 2009 | 29 replies | 15,201 views

Review Summary: "Theres no where to go but up from here."

"Theres no where to go but up from here." That is exactly what I think of when I listen to Broadway's debut album Kingdoms. Kingdoms provides a fun and enjoyable listen to anyone interested in the post-hardcore genre. I would like to say that Broadway has a promising musical career in front of them.

After a quick little "Intro" the album begins with "Redeeming A Monster." It starts of witha catchy riff then Misha kicks in with the singing. Many of the tracks are filled with catchy riffs. One of my favorite parts on the album is the opening riff to "Gotta Love That Southern Charm." It just grabs your attention right away and it turned out to be one of my favorite tracks on the album. The drumming and bass are great and just bring everything together on the album.

Kingdoms also features two guest vocalists. Johnny Craig from Emarosa in "Dont Jump The Shark Before You Save The Whale" and Craig Owens from Chiodos in "Same Thing We Do Everyday Pinky." It was awesome for Broadway to be able to get two great guest vocalists to sing on their debut album. Although it was nice for them to be on here it was hard at first for me to tell when they sang because they sounded so similiar to Misha. The two tracks also happened to be standout tracks for me.

As far as the vocals go, Misha is just great. He has a nice wide vocal range. From the high pitched lines of "You gotta smart mouth/ Dripping with that southern charm/ And I'll be sure to make a point of you" from "You Gotta Love That Southern Charm." All the way to his low screaming of "I can't believe anything you wrote down on my skin" and "I've kicked open this ocean floor grave" from "We Are Paramount." His singing was a very pleasant suprise on the album.

So in the end I would say that you need to check out this band if you havent already. If you want an album thats fun to listen to and full of catchy riffs then this is for you. I think that Broadway has succeeded with their debut album Kingdoms.

Tracks I recommend:

Last Saturday
Dont Jump The Shark Before You Save The Whale
Gotta Love That Southern Charm
Same Thing We Do Everyday Pinky

Alexd93 (3)
Despite being generic, this is a solid debut from Broadway...

March_Of_Sand
September 26th 2009

So I wrote a review. Tell me what you guys think. Any criticisms would be nice.

Bitstream
September 26th 2009

You need to describe the music, I'd say. All you said was post-hardcore.

Also, the review is really personal. There's nothing wrong with that, but it was distracting with the density of first-person sentences. "I think," "I'd say...", etc.

The way you described the vocalist was great, so the best improvement you can do on that would be to talk that kind of description and apply it to the bands sound, both overall, and as seperate instruments.

Lucid
September 26th 2009

What Bitstream said. I might check this out, I'm in the mood for catchy post-hardcore.

Digging: Perfume Genius - Learning

shortone323
September 26th 2009

Review is not that great, which is sad, because this album is really good. I want to write a review for this, but I'm in the midst of a 5 page essay right now, and I'm having a hard enough time focusing on that.

As for the music, this is distinctly post-hardcore and with a nice poppy feel to it. There's also a few harder sections that offer up a nice change of pace and some good breakdowns. The vocalist is really good. He's able to hold his own against both Craig and Owens, two guys who are both really talented (Owens not so much), and he screams pretty well too.

d00derz
September 27th 2009

such a damn good band, though underrated for sure. glad someone finally reviewed this.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

BSX
September 27th 2009

I found them on myspace by randomly searching genres I don't listen too and became an instant fan, these guys are boss

HellAwaitsUs
September 27th 2009

Review wasn't that great, but the album's pretty good. I listen to a lot of post-hardcore but this has a more 'poppy' feel to it.

PinkBlackberry
September 30th 2009

Amazing Album, Listened from Start to finish on several occasions. it's just so god damn catchy and upbeat while at the same time all emo and tight pantslike.

EasternLight
October 4th 2009

DUDE this is good. i love this.

DAVECATAZ
November 24th 2009

Reminds me A LOT of I See Stars.

shortone323
December 13th 2009

DaveCataz - How so? Because there isn't really a heavy electronic influence here. I guess I see the comparison, but Broadway is better.

Cody - Do you want a review that's more critical, or one that's better written? Because I might do one over winter break.

loseit13
December 14th 2009

Good record though the autotunes sometimes annoy me

GoShenanigansGo
March 14th 2010

Their guitar work is nothing spectacular at all. Stereotypical riffing and lead work. Their vocalist Misha is astounding though. He's got a great voice and great technique.

GoShenanigansGo
March 14th 2010

dnor
April 29th 2010

I've played a live show with these guys and Oceana. Neither bands are good in my opinion, but if it comes down to which is better live...OCEANA>BROADWAY. Broadway blows live, and if they can't do it live, it's obviously over-produced and fake recorded.

dnor
April 29th 2010

Oh and Shenanigans, Misha's voice live is my point. They play dropped from E to D so he doesn't have to sing as high, because he can't do it without help from computers.

TheDeadWalk
May 9th 2010

Really Really good CD,

Vocals are just like on the cd live

crowing51
July 5th 2010

wow another band that uses waaayyyyyyyyy to much auto tune to get high as pitched singing they know damn well they cant do lol, pretty medicocre cd, seen them live.....fucking terrible, just like We Came As Romans live.

CutMan
July 30th 2010

The chorus to "What We Do Everyday Pinky" tickles my ears, it's lovely.

TREO5