RZA
RZA as Bobby Digital in Stereo

good

by Maximilian Harkness USER (65 Reviews)
September 25th, 2009 | 15 replies | 8,471 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Now Dr. Octagon, imma let you finish, but Bobby Digital had the best goofy stupid ass persona of all time! OF ALL TIME!

I want to stop being serious with reviewing for a second. I want to, instead, write about something that pertains to what most writers do today, like for example, I want to add a lot of curse words to my review writing vocabulary. No problem, fuck reviewing, I’m going to work at the Rolling Stone. How does this pertain at all to anything and what was the point of starting like this? This is the basic concept of Bobby Digital, and his first album Bobby Digital in Stereo, which exemplifies Wu-Tang production mastermind and arrogant smart ass RZA making an incredibly inconsistent album out of the strange ‘digital orchestra’ and rhyming that is technically proficient but completely meaningless, and somehow making it sound decent.

RZA does a lot of wrong on this album, no doubt. The production at times sounds ridiculously stupid, and feels like a kindergartener with a keyboard could make more complex and intriguing beats. Mix this with RZA’s inane gangster rhyming and off kilter flowing and you get what makes up most of the worst tracks on Bobby Digital in Stereo. “B.O.B.B.Y.” features a brain-less chorus that involves Bobby and some vocally distorted children spelling out Bobby Digital, while interludes that ‘Slow Grind’ interludes manage to just sound like a less pretentious and annoying version of the interludes that managed to ruin the newest pseudo Wu-Tang album, while “Mantis” features a messy beat whose West Coast-posturing ruins any potential that rhymes hold, and even then, there isn’t much due to Tekitha’s awkward posturing behind the microphone. Stupid bitch.

At the same time though, this works to the advantage of the RZA. For example, his production on “Holocaust – Silkworm” is the most minimalistic thing he’s produced since Liquid Swords, and it works as a backing for Holocaust’s show stopping verse. “N.Y.C. Everything” features production that is both low budget and driving and riveting, and RZA and Method Man manage to work together well. “Domestic Violence” and “Lab Drunk” represent what could be some of RZA’s best tracks, with “Domestic Violence” sounding like RZA’s response to Em’s “Kim”, and “Lab Drunk” features more of what should be expected when RZA said he was making a digital orchestra.

Overall, Bobby Digital in Stereo is a good album, with a lot of obvious flaws that are visible to even the blindest eye. The production a lot of times sounds like RZA ran out of soul samples to weave into a beat, and just picked up whatever he could, and then picked up Swiss Beatz’s Casio keyboard and did the best he could to sound like he actually knew what he was doing, while the rhymes at their very worse sound off beat and at times just wack. But at its best, RZA manages to make old heights, with rhymes that are incredibly proficient and at times of the same smart ass status that he used to reach. Ultimately this album is pretty inaccessible, even for most Wu-Tang fans, but once you get past the original disappointment of RZA not sounding as intellectual he usually did on guest appearances before, this album is actually good. Not too good though, damn it!

Snoop Dogg Paid tha Cost to Be da Bo$$Jay-Z The Blueprint 3
Q-Tip Kamaal The AbstractQ-Tip Amplified
Jay-Z Kingdom ComeSean Price Jesus Price Supastar
3.3

bastard
September 25th 2009

frig its not size four damn it, i haven't cussed with sputnik in a while.

dumb

Tits McGee
September 25th 2009

nothing against you man, but I feel every time you write a negative review you always critique the same aspects in the same ways.

bastard
September 25th 2009

hmmmm i guess i see that... trouble is this isn't a negative review, i like this album. I think i get ya though.

Tits McGee
September 25th 2009

well, not a total negative review, but you usually present the negative aspects of albums in similar fashions

FistfulOfSteel
September 26th 2009

i love your hip- hop reviews brah, keep pumping them out. im glad to see someone else paying attention to these albums.

Shadowed Reflection
October 6th 2009

I actually think it's really cool. Everything sounds top-notch, just rza's "bobby" voice kinda gets annoying. I was never really bothered by some of goofier lyrics though.

TMobotron
February 23rd 2010

I just picked this up yesterday, I always loved RZA on group albums and when he does guest appearances. Always been kind of disappointed he never did a solo album that had at least the same reception as Tical, he has such huge potential. But I'm not too far into it, but I think it's pretty damn good so far.

Also for any fans of the Wu/RZA:

HalfManHalfAmazing
November 15th 2010

"Nice to meet you, I heard the Wu Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck with" lol

DominionMM1
March 16th 2012

was just bumpin this today. the beats, at times, are certainly weak. but i've always enjoyed RZA's vocal delivery.

Digging: Clutch - Blast Tyrant

oltnabrick
July 21st 2012

My sandwich ain't a sandwich without Miracle-Whip.

Digging: Gucci Mane and Young Thug - Young Thugga Mane La Flare

TMobotron
July 22nd 2012

Yeah man RZA's delivery is pretty sick, I like it a lot more when he has sort of a smooth laid back delivery instead of a high energy, more aggressive style. It suits his voice a lot better IMO. His guest spots on joint albums or other solo ventures always rule. I've always been a bit sad that he never had an exceptional solo album, more than any of the others that didn't.

nylertickel2
May 4th 2013

Domestic Violence is such an awesome song

hikingmetalpunk