Alice in Chains
Sap

by Matthijs van der Lee USER (219 Reviews)
September 24th, 2009 | 38 replies | 1,854 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Episode II: Sap

After the tour for their debut Facelift, Alice in Chains went into the studio to record demos for what was going to be their follow-up. As it happened, they wrote 5 predominantly acoustic tracks instead, but only chose to release them after drummer Sean Kinney, strange as it may seem, had a dream about releasing an EP called Sap. Deciding ‘not to mess with fate’, the band’s first EP was released in early 1992, more than a year after Facelift, and indeed entitled Sap.

Sap’s Alice in Chains was:

Guest musicians:

- Mark Arm (Mudhoney) ~ Vocals on Right Turn
- Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) ~ Vocals on Right Turn
- Ann Wilson (Heart) ~ Vocals on Brother, Am I Inside and Love Song

Sap saw Alice in Chains taking a more softly emotional road, and that turned out very well indeed for the band. The EP features two tracks that can be accounted to their best work. Opener Brother is a strongly moody, almost melancholic, touching piece, and immediately showcases the entirely different sound the band applies with Sap. Got Me Wrong, about the rift of misunderstanding between the two sexes, is a bit more upbeat, and features a little electric guitar that, along with its chorus, makes for a less moody but more powerful outing than its predecessor.

The EP’s other half consist of less compelling, but equally worthy songs. The shortest tune Right Turn contains vocals from both Mark Arm and Chris Cornell, the latter more dominant and impressive that the former, and is a very enjoyable track despite being the simplest offering on Sap. Am I Inside is slightly slower, and dreamier than most of the band’s other work, highlighted by Staley’s very fitting vocal work, once again excellently harmonized with Wilson’s, who has the strongest presence on the latter of her three contributions.

Then you’ve also got the quirky joke track Love Song, of course, in which the band switches usual arrangements: Staley drums, Cantrell plays bass and Starr guitar, while Sean Kinney is the main man behind the song with his eclectic piano work and megaphone shouts. Fun track, of course, but not an addition to the album’s actual work.

All that makes up for a mere 20 minutes of music, which is perhaps even short for an EP, but 4/5 of the material is interesting enough to forgive the length. Alice in Chains’ new direction certainly bore some damn fine fruit, and the acoustic work is almost, if not equally strong as the band’s heavier side. Though the sound they pioneered here would be perfected on Jar of Flies, what would come next would be quite a different affair, one even heavier than Facelift...

Yoda recommends:

Got Me Wrong
Brother

To be continued...

Genesis Calling All StationsGenesis We Can't Dance
Genesis Invisible TouchGenesis Genesis
Genesis AbacabGenesis Duke
Merkaba33 (3)
Alice sheds the glam and starts down her lonely, depressing path…...

warningpunk (4)

Great EP is great.

Romulus
September 24th 2009

This is probably my least favorite Alice album (if we're not counting that first EP), so good review. I'm looking forward to the Dirt review majorly.

lostforwords
September 24th 2009

Great EP indeed! Very moody, too bad it's not that "extended" ;)

Another great review another pos

September 24th 2009

I think you are missing the word being after "latter". Otherwise - solid job one more. Pos

HOLYCRAP5OUTOF5

HEY METALFAIL STOP FAILING AT METAL FAIL

Shut it HOLYFAP

HOLYCRAP5OUTOF5

I FAP BECAUSE IF I DIDN'T I'D GO INSANE PUTTING UP WITH YOUR CRAP

OH DAM I'M ON FIYUH

jeez, I think i'm gonna SNAP

September 9th 2010

Relistening to this and realizing how inferior the versions of Brother and Got Me Wrong are to the ones on Unplugged.

coneren

Right Turn is sooo good

Oh yes t'is.

But if I'm in the mood for acoustic Alice, I always pick Unplugged since two of the songs on here are on there as well, done 10x better.

LepreCon
September 9th 2010

Shit man I can't believe its been almost a year since you reviewed this! Damn I'm really getting old

September 9th 2010

I can't believe it either, I'm looking back for a minute and WHOAH, there's all those Judas Priest reviews I so fantically did and whatnot.

LepreCon
September 9th 2010

And to this day I still haven't kept tabs on another reviewers work so much on this site. It must be said, well done

September 9th 2010

And so it must be said that I do truly appreciate that very much.

Maniac!

mmmmmm.... I love you nag

BigHans
September 9th 2010

Nag = Bigger Chains fan that Brandon.

Maniac!

NOT POSSIBLE

Counterf3it
September 9th 2010

Feit = bigger fan than both of them

BigHans