Sleep
Dopesmoker

by Anthony Hoch USER (16 Reviews)
August 19th, 2005 | 98 replies | 12,416 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

This album is a mammoth release from stoner kings, Sleep. They take one riff, and cram it in your brain for 63 minutes and 31 seconds. Some people might find this tiring but I find it very enjoyable. This track has all the things you would come to expect from stoner rock/Doom band, Fuzzed out guitars, Booming Groovy bass, and drums that don’t disappoint. The lyrical content is kinda silly, its about ancient people on a search for weed.This is one of those albums where you have to listen to the whole thing to get it, even then you most likely still wont get it, and will probobly hate it.

The epic monster that is Dopesmoker starts off with a slow, churning riff, that almost hypnotizes you for the first 2 minutes and 40 seconds, the drums finally kick in, and that same riff keeps pulling you in, deeper and deeper. Changing ever so slightly, and grows more intense until at about 6:30 when the bass starts its groove and kicks in. It keeps building and building until at 7:30 when the bottom drops out and the brass starts crashing it sounds like a wave just washing everything away…except that riff, that riff keeps going. Then Matt throws in this fill a couple times that sounds like it was sent from god himself. It’s not amazingly technical but it just sounds holy. The groove kicks back in even deeper then before, and you feel like you’re on this journey, with them. Then at 8:25 the vocals kick in and you know exactly what wave length these guys are on.

“Drop out of life, with bong in hand."

They have no qualms about it, they love smoking pot, and they don’t find a damn thing wrong with it. They repeat that a few more times, and then you hear

“Follow the smoke, to the riff filled land."

Followed buy some really deep and heavy bass groove. Then at about 12:30, the bottom drops out again, and there is a nice guitar interlude, followed some cool work by the whole band, for the next couple minutes. Lots of groovy bass fills in here. Then at 14:30 Pike comes in with a nice solo, again not the most technically adept solo you will ever hear, but it fits with the music, I personally couldn’t imagine this solo being any different. He wails on his les Paul for the next 2 minutes or so, its never obnoxious or over indulgent (well in context to the song, because one 63 minute song is pretty indulgent, but what do you expect from stoners). Then Matt flows back into the riff, and your hit with the next bit of vocals

“Proceed the Weedian, to Nazareth."

Then they settle back into the groove that they have created. And things quiet down, at 19:10 but kick up again shortly proceeded again by

“Proceeds the Weedian, to Nazareth."

And they Drone on a little more, slightly changing that riff as it’s played.

The music drops out again around 21:50 with Pike just sporadically strumming the same couple chords that he has been playing all this time, slowly very slow, it drones on like something you would hear from Sunn 0))), or Earth or even some Boris. Then is builds and kicks back in at 23:10. They then come in with more lyrics illustrating just what’s going on,

“Creeds men roll out Across the Dying down,
Sacred Israel, Holy Mount, Zion
Sun Beams Down onto the Sandean,
Reigns Caravan Migrates Through deep Sandscape,
Lungs men Unearth the creed of Hasheeshian,
Procession of the weed priest to cross the sand,
Desert Legion Smoke Covenant is Complete,
arise the god of Israel. Jordon river flows on ever more,
Bathe in glow of sunlight’s beating rays
They feel so lost and burned through our days"

Then as the marijuana soaked lyrics flow, the music drones on in the background. Until 30:50 when things quiet down again. And Pike keeps those chords growling as usual. The music kicks back up and another verse comes in

“Stoner caravan emerge from sand sea, Earthling inserts to chalice the green cutchie, Groundation soul finds trust upon smoking hose, Assembled creeds men rises prayer-filled smoke, Raise up seer’s Holy Prophecy. Seed of Eden fall, onward caravan prepare new road."

At 35:30 some really cool drumming comes in and drives up the intensity till the bottom falls out again and Pike strums the riff, then the rhythm section escorts the guitar back in as its grows more intense here, the bass churning out some really low grooves. Then some lyrics come in

“Judgment soon comes to Mankind,
Green Herbs men serve rightful king,
Hemp seed caravan carries on."

Then the band plays for a few seconds and another solo comes right in, at 39:28. This solo isn’t as awesome as the first one but it has a very far away feel to it like its flying through the air towards you, and away from you never letting you grab it. This is cause buy the massive use of what I assume is Reverb, and feedback. As the bass plays in the background the guitar just gets farther out and farther out, until it just reaches space, then things settle down, almost completely.

Matt pike comes off, of a roaring mile high solo, into a shimmering interlude that sounds like something out of a Buddhist monastery, this gets more mystical because it is contrasted by the bass and the drums, very lightly grooving in the back, then at 44 minutes the whole band come roaring back and this part of the song is noticeably heavier then anything before the interlude, the bass is subterranean, but still keeps that groove, then at 45:22 the lyrics come back in.

" The molten fire flowed up to-uh Zion,
Flight of the Nazarene to seek the Cherubim,
Rides out believer with the spliff aflame,
Marijuananaut escapes earth to cultivate."

These lyrics are thrown in very sparsely, because the band is much more focused on the music right now. Then at 49 minutes the rhythm section drops out and Pike plays probably the most varied version of the riff on the whole song. Then the band kicks back in, the music seems to get deeper and deeper, as it sucks you. then at 51 minutes the next solo comes in. This is my personal favorite part of the song; this is a very bluesy, solo, and probably the best one on the album, but unfortunately the shortest as well.

Then at 52:30 the riff starts in again with the whole band following suit. At 54 minutes the lyrics come back in.

“Grow-Room is church temple of the new stoner breed,
Chants Loud-Robed priest down on to the freedom seed,
Burnt offering redeems, completes smoked deliverance,
Caravans stoned deliverance,
The caravan holds to Eastern Creed - Now smokes believer!
The Chronicle of the Sensimillian."

The band now jams on, throwing in a few variations on the tried and true riff.

Then the final bits of knowledge:

"Drop out of life with bong in hand
Follow the smoke to the riff-filled land
Drop out of life with bong in hand
Follow-the-smoke-Jerusalem."

Followed by a little more grooving, the band then starts to quiet down to the way it sounded in the very beginning, with the simple riff being repeated, but its starts to get gradually deeper and lower…and lower…and lower….until it fades out, and leaves as abruptly as it came in.

Sonic Titan: This is a cool little extra that they threw on here it’s a pretty cool song, a lot more stoner rock then it is doom. It’s about 10 minutes long but after you listen to dopesmoker you will be in such a trance that you probably wont even notice its on. But it features some really cool guitar work; overall it’s a solid song.

Follow-the-smoke-Jerusalem

Boredoms Super Roots 5Boris Absolutego
Eagles Of Death Metal Death By SexyBoris Pink
Boris Akuma No UtaBoris Mabuta No Ura
4.2
Adam Thomas STAFF (4.5)
Follow the smoke toward the riff-filled land...

Nexion (5)

Rudd13
August 19th 2005

can someone enlighten me?

What exactly is doom metal?

August 19th 2005

doom metal is very slow every evil sounding metal, every bass driven and very low. a couple doom metal bands are Cathedrial, candlemass,Electric wizard,sleep.

Priestmetal
August 19th 2005

From my experience I would basically define doom metal as a whole genre full of Black Sabbath rip offs. But I've only heard a few bands.

Priestmetal
August 19th 2005

any14doomsday have you heard of hidden hand?

Rudd13
August 19th 2005

Well that actually sounds pretty cool. I think ill try this one out for a bit.

Thanks guys

Shadows
August 19th 2005

Ach...good review, but I can't stand doom metal. It never really gets going.

incubus62086

this + weed = amazing
back in my old substance abuse days, this got alot of play

asheroth
August 19th 2005

The thing about this album is that it sounds cool in writing, but when you actually listen to it it's so long and boring that you actively want to kill yourself. I mean, 6 minutes of the same riff = no good.

August 20th 2005

yeah I have heard hidden hand thrown around a bit, but i have never realy consiously listened to them....

Thanks for the posetive feadback, and yeah i could understand how someone would find this boring after awhile but i think it has enough variation,to keep it interesting, hell download it and check it out,if you like it pick it up

iceman3019
August 30th 2005

heaviest album of all time for me, just above sleep's holy mountain . . . dopesmoker is doom/stoner metal at its best, 5/5 definitely . . .

September 7th 2005

I dont know if any album could be heaviest album of all time, I think dopethrone by electric wized is quite a bit heavier then this cd.

iceman3019
November 8th 2005

well, dopesmker is more sludge than stoner/doom, dopethrone is just pure stoner . . .

masada
November 8th 2005

Stoners obviously have no time perception.

November 9th 2005

haha

thats true man, no scence of time at all really... but yeah i could see this as kinda being sludge but I agree wiht the stoner/soom tag that its given. I also (recently) did a review of holy mountain

Nexion
May 21st 2006

The lyrics aren't silly, they take the bible story and turn it into a bible story for stoners. If you look at all of Al's lyrics for all of his songs, you'll come to know that he is great at telling stories.

May 22nd 2006

Words like "Weedian", and "Marijaunanaut" are kinda silly man, thats not saying there bad, I think its actually pretty wicked.

cjstunna
May 22nd 2006

I need to purchase this album ASAP

May 25th 2006

Its a damn good album, I would definetly check it out, Check out Holy Mountain too man.

Nexion
June 22nd 2006

Seriously dude!
Sleep is f*cking sweet!This Message Edited On 06.22.06

Mart0001
October 8th 2006

Excellent review, so is the album. In my opinion, this is the best stoner/doom album ever made. The song Dopesmoker is brilliant!