Kings of Leon
Only By The Night

by jazzman23 USER (2 Reviews)
September 21st, 2009 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Anyone who even remotely digs the Kings of Leon should stock their ipods with this gem.

Four albums in and the Kings of Leon have established themselves as one of the top rock acts in the world. Kings of rock n’ roll, it would seem. Certainly, the Followill brothers (and one cousin) have exploded out of their strict Pentecostal upbringing, in which they spent their childhood on the road with their travelling preacher of a father. Kept under a tight watch, the boys were even forbidden from listening to non-Christian music. Surprising, when you consider their first couple of albums, Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak, are essentially the horny, manic ramblings of a band of alcoholic hooligans. True southern-fried rock. It is as though the Kings fired off all the repressed urges of their adolescent years through these albums, and subsequently, the sizzling, raw style of their efforts proved enough to catch the attention of both Bob Dylan and U2. Soon after, the Kings found themselves playing their first stadium gigs.

The band’s success has never lost steam and their latest album, Only by the Night, features a matured quartet of men rather than boys. Perhaps their brief stint touring with a much older U2 had some influence on their music, as the guys have mellowed quite a bit. Leaving behind most of the gristle from their earlier sound and moving into a slower, more melodic style, the Kings have been catapulted into mainstream success with mega hits such as “Sex on Fire” and “Use Somebody”. While the former’s lyrics suggest that lead singer Anthony Followill hasn’t completely lost his sexual raucousness, the rest of the band has certainly crystallized their once rough and dirty style. With tight, refined guitar work and spacious drumbeats, Only by the Night reflects the musical progression of a highly talented and soulful band. The album’s final track, “Cold Desert” is perhaps the epitome of this progression, featuring Anthony’s most emotional vocals yet, and one phrase in particular - “Jesus don’t love me, no one ever carried my load / I’m too young to feel this old” - really showcases the singer’s maturity as both a musician and a man.

For the most part, fans of the band will love the Kings of Leon’s continuing musical growth and diversity found in Only by the Night. Although stubborn folks looking for the action packed rock ‘n roll of Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak may find themselves disappointed, their quarrels will mostly fall upon deaf ears. While not as classic as its predecessor, Because of the Times , Only by the Night still reflects a sizeable step forward for the band. Indeed, the Kings have left behind their youth and are now in a full scale exploration of their musical ability as adults.

Guy Smiley (2)
Kings of Leon “mature” on their fourth full-length, deciding to ape U2 rather than The Strokes t...

Dylan S. (4)
The Kings of Leon take on their most mature release, and despite a few falters, its their best album...

Nick Butler EMERITUS (4)
Once again, the Followill brothers improve exponentially....

PuddlesPuddles

disappointed*

Album is great, never understood why people don't like these guys. "Closer" is absolutely amazing

klap
September 21st 2009

never liked this band, am fairly furious that they've blown up in the states with this (imo, their worst album yet). agree to disagree!

Digging: Caribou - Our Love

PuddlesPuddles

Disagree!

LepreCon
September 21st 2009

I much prefer old Kings of Leon. Youth and Young Manhood was a real "grab your beer and shotguns, head out into the bayou and shoot some 'gators!" kind of southern rock. Now they've gone very radio rock IMO. Not saying its bad, just comparing it to what once was...

cirq

KoL kicks ass fuckers

jazzman23

Thanks for the correction

They've definitely become very radio friendly since the old days, but they've done it with integrity and depth.

Yazz_Flute
September 21st 2009

ya knowww i could a-yoooos some bah-dehhhh

Digging: Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

AtavanHalen

sumwan lak yoooooooo

fromtheinside
September 22nd 2009

album is very good. use somebody is probably gonna be a top 20 song at the end of the year for me.

Digging: Psicosis - The Crippled Machine That Moves the World

AtavanHalen
September 22nd 2009

At the end of this year or last year when it was released?

Douchebag

Not a bad album.

jazzman23
September 22nd 2009

Hey guys, I'm fairly new here and I'd love to get some feedback on my writing. Be sure to let me know if the review is well written. Thanks!

fromtheinside
September 22nd 2009

At the end of this year or last year when it was released?

due to its late release and EP being dropped in 2009 i'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, still eases into my top 20 in terms of singles.