Led Zeppelin

by Johnny USER (3 Reviews)
September 20th, 2009 | 17 replies | 2,438 views

Release Date: 1969 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Led Zeppelin's first record was an amazing record, with Blues, Hard Rock and Folk influences, being recognized much after it's release.

Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelins’ first record didn’t stir up much attention besides “You Shook Me”, “Dazed And Confused” and “I Can’t Quit You Baby” until much later. Led Zeppelin may be known as a Hard Rock or Heavy Metal group, but this album is extremely bluesy. Led Zeppelin learnt from earlier Blues Rock groups such as The Jeff Group and Cream but turning up the volume. The cover chosen by Jimmy Page is of the famous Hindenburg crashing which was the origin of their name. In this record Jimmy Page demonstrates many classic solo’s acoustic and electric, Jimmy Page probably performs my favorite guitar of all time in “Communication Breakdown”. Robert Plants singing in songs such as “You Shook Me” and “I Can’t Quit You Baby” is deep and bluesy, but in songs like “Communication Breakdown” he nearly shrieks. All Led Zeppelin members are demonstrating amazing skill in their songs just as they do in each of their records. This album demonstrates three kinds of genres of music of music, British Hard Rock, Blues Rock and Folk. Led Zeppelin’s first record was not an as incredible success as their other records were at the time, but now is an acknowledged masterpiece by any true Rock Fan.

Good Times, Bad Times: As you listen to this song you hear Led Zeppelins sound and creativity combing hard rock and blues. The drums in this song are very important and creative. Throughout the verses I was shocked by John Bonhams’ skill. After two catchy and well-written verses and choruses Jimmy Page drives you nuts with his amazing guitar solo. After that Jimmy Page just pretty much demonstrates why he is one of the greatest guitarist of all time. 9 1/2 out of 10

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You: This is one of Led Zeppelin’s acoustic songs, Robert Plant voice is very bluesy and deep. The riff that goes on throughout the song sounds almost classical. The first verse sounds is just Robert Plant and his riff. The song sounds like it is just waiting to explode. It is slowly builds up and then he Robert and the instruments explode for a good minute and then settles down back to the normal riff. The beauty of the song is that it is calm, angry and harsh at the same time. 9 out of 10

You Shook Me: This is in my opinion the most bluesy this record gets. The guitar and the rhythm is played exactly like a blues song and they even have an organ and a harmonica solo. After the organ and Harmonica solo’s Jimmy Page demonstrates another amazing solo but this time slower and even bluesier than the other solo’s. A very nice slow and well written song. 8 out of 10

Dazed And Confused: Another very bluesy song, but Jimmy page demonstrates some even more unique sounds on his guitar than normal. The song slowly builds up to one of Jimmys’ amazing guitar solos like normal. I do enjoy this song but for whatever reason I never enjoyed it as other people do. The instruments are at a pretty high point in this song I must admit, the instruments in the song is at a very high point.
7 out of 10

Your Time Is Gonna Come: My favorite song on this record and one of my favorite overall. The song is about an unfaithful woman. It may seem like a unique choice, but I adore this song. It starts out with nearly a minute of an organ whining and finally a drum beat kicks in. The acoustic noodling playing is very pleasant. With a amazingly catchy rhythm, organ and acoustic guitar you don’t think the song can get any better. Then the chorus kicks in and you nearly have to stand up and dance. There is absolutely no flaw in the chorus, the drumming couldn’t go any better with it, every guitar note is played at the right time and Robert and his bands harmony is amazing. The only this song is missing is a guitar solo, but I don’t think a guitar solo would fit that well in this song. I hear influences of blues and folk combined in this song, and they combine them perfectly. This song sounds much different from the rest of the record. 10 out of 10

Black Mountain Side: I honestly can’t believe this is on a Led Zeppelin Album, its completely Americana, or English Folk. Jimmy plays his acoustic guitar as a congo is being played on. I can’t put into words how this song sounds, your going to need to just listen to it.
8 1/2 out of 10

Communication Breakdown: Oh man, this song is nearly Punk Rock. This song starts off almost immediately. This song is as heavy as this record gets and is fast paced and amazing. Robert is nearly yelling at you throughout the song. After the second chorus Jimmy plays my favorite guitar solo of all time. It doesn’t last too long. but what an impact it has on the song. Again, I can’t put this song into word, your going to just have to listen to it. 10 out of 10

I Can't Quit You Baby: This song is almost completely about Jimmy Page, he keeps showing you how well he can play the guitar the whole song. Very blues influenced and slow. Imagine this song being “You Shook Me” except with no harmonica or organ. This song is not bad in any, I think it is probably Jimmy’s second highpoint in the record (1st being Communication Breakdown), just lacking the feeling the rest of the record gives you. 7 out 10

How Many More Times: Begging with a nice bassline and some cool effects with Jimmy, this song definitely gives you that exciting feeling “Good Times, Bad Times” and “Communication Breakdown”. This song is also pretty centered around Jimmy. When you think the song is over Led Zeppelin, twists over to a different sound, then comes back to the normal format. I think this song is the weakest because after their really cool instrumental they kind of lose their great writing talent, not saying its bad writing, just saying that it is weaker than the rest of the album is. Even though this song may be the weakest, it is still pretty good. 7 out of 10

Rating: 5 out of 5
Favorite Track: Your Time Is Gonna Come.

4.3

Chewie
September 20th 2009

track by tracks are usually not a good review style and aren't respected much on sputnik. Try next time to write paragraphs that are similar to your first one, and describe the overall sound. You should incorporate songs as examples for your various points instead of formally reviewing each song.

Douchebag
September 20th 2009

I remember reading a huge book about Led Zeppelin, and if memory serves, the majority of this album are covers aren't they?

Good times bad times, babe im gonna leave you, communication breakdown and dazed confused are all fantastic tracks. Rumour is black sabbath created the song paranoid whilst they were stoned listening to nothing but led zeppelin 1 and 2 in the studio and based the song off communication breakdown.

~Derekschewie11
Got It, ill try that next time I write one.

September 23rd 2009

Much as I love Led Zeppelin, this album sounds much too dated to be a 5, even the remastered version, but good review all the same

Nagrarok
September 23rd 2009

I agree, this is dated but still great. Your Time is Gonna Come is one of my least favourites though.

September 23rd 2009

nah this album is 4.5-5 pretty safely. vinyl is tremendous.

September 23rd 2009

@ Nag: Yeah, YTIGC is annoying. Good thing Black Mountain side comes right after it

@ Qwe: Hrmn, I dunno, LZs II and IV really show this one up

Fugue
September 23rd 2009

Great album 4 for me, though I can see why people rate it higher. Black Mountain Side is the best followed swiftly by Good Times, Bad Times and Communication Breakdown IMO.

Your Time Is Gonna Come is good, whats wrong with you people?

II yes, IV hell no

Nagrarok
September 23rd 2009

The opening to Communication Breakdown is one of my fav Led Zep moments.

September 23rd 2009

i love how in the vinyl version his voice just bleeeeds into the other tracks. so loud.

and his voice on this album is fantastic. rough and raw but still pleasant. i know its generic but hes seriously one of my faves, is plant

September 23rd 2009

He's one of my favourites too, screw the elitists

September 23rd 2009

What wrong wit your times gonna come, its was kind of overplayed i guess i hear it was at eacvh party

September 23rd 2009

Its simply the least-interesting track

Damus