Monsters of Folk
Monsters of Folk

by Rudy K. STAFF
September 19th, 2009 | 60 replies

Review Summary: Like a well-oiled, cohesive “best-of” collection of each member's oeuvre.

The announcement of Monster of Folk’s debut album this year instinctively drew a knee-jerk reaction of dread from me, despite its pristine indie pedigree. After Tinted Windows defined the term “novelty supergroup” yet again for the year 2009, I was just a little worried that ego and the sense of “fun” that routinely leads artists to ill-advised collaborations would cause the sum of talent here to be considerably less than its individual parts. Luckily for me and fans of the people on display here, Monsters of Folk works more like a well-oiled, cohesive “best-of” collection of each, rather than a clash of styles or a neutered effort of bland, mutually masturbatory jam sessions. Made up of Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes, Mystic Valley Band), M. Ward (She & Him), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), and Mike Mogis (producer extraordinaire), Monsters of Folk’s terrible title belies its eminently accessible nature.

Unlike, say, James Iha and Taylor Hanson, Monsters of Folk’s previous bodies of work definitely share a sort of kinship. From Oberst’s post-Cassadaga work, to James’ obviously country-ish bent, to Ward’s folksy, ‘60s-pop-worshipping solo releases, it seems almost preordained that this foursome would eventually find each other, with Mogis’ instrumental wizardry and understated production serving as the glue of the album. Best of all, despite its 15-song length and influences-on-their-sleeves style, Monsters of Folk never comes off as a gimmick, or, worse, a mere compilation. Oberst never dominates one track and then disappears on the next; James’ doesn’t make one song his personal My Morning Jacket clone and then let someone else take the spotlight on the next. Rather, Monsters of Folk melds them all into what consistently feels like a natural record, one where new listeners might be surprised to learn of the members’ disparate backgrounds.

“Dear God (sincerely M.O.F.)” does start things off pretty shaky, and you’d be forgiven for thinking it was an Evil Urges outtake, and a terrible one at that. But the bad taste is quickly wiped away with the irresistible, fuzzy energy of “Say Please,” where the gorgeous but clearly distinct harmonies gives the song a true group feel, a ‘la Crosby Stills and Nash (or, dare I say it, the Beatles). From there on it’s a veritable treasure trove of woodsy, vibrant music, a grab bag of styles notable not for their differences but by how well they mesh as one. Hear Ward and company burn it on up tempo alt-country rocker “Whole Lotta Losin;’” hear Oberst do his best Johnny Cash impression on the fingerpicked western-flavored “Man Named Truth;” best of all, hear all three of them play off each other on the restless build-up of highlight “Baby Boomer.”

It’s easy to distinguish between the three vocalists, from Ward’s smoky, soulful vocals to Oberst’ wobbling entreaties to James’ immediately identifiable falsetto, yet their effortless harmonies and vocal interplay is sharpened to a lovingly refined point. Musically the band’s closest touchstones are Ward’s last two solo efforts, as songs like the woodsy “Goodway,” “Magic Marker” and many more mimic the kind of ‘60s pop/Americana folk pastiche he’s strived for, although Oberst’s Mystic Valley influence is well represented here (his inexplicable Mexico fascination continues on “Temazcal”). But far be it from them to discriminate - songs like acoustic shuffler “Map of the World” reflect Fleet Foxes’ multi-part harmonies and Appalachian character, while “The Right Place” sounds like vintage, It Still Moves-era My Morning Jacket. The record as a whole continues to build up its own identity as it goes on, thanks in large part to Mogis’ eclectic production and the refusal of the tracks to fall into a stylistic rut.

Sure, it’s a little long, and the opening and closing tracks are two of the worst bookends for an album in recent memory, but perhaps that’s just merely a testament to the strength of the material in between. After hearing Monsters of Folk for the first time it’s easy to write it off as a success in its genre and a (huge) success for the supergroup ideal, but repeated listens show it as much more than that. Songs like “Say Please” or “Baby Boomer” practically sound like they were recorded in a live setting, the band’s energy a nearly palpable feeling throughout. Monsters of Folk is a great album, and it achieves this excellence not with fancy studio tricks, particularly amazing songwriting, or virtuoso musicianship, but with that which so many other supergroups have lacked: a refreshing passion for the material, the kind of passion that is impossible to ignore.

Caribou Our LoveTennis Ritual In Repeat
Death From Above 1979 The Physical World...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead Source Tags & Codes
Ryan Adams Ryan AdamsBlonde Redhead Barragan
Dylan S. (3.5)
One folking decent piece of light hearted music, with a few minor flaws along the way....

thumbnail not working, arggg

stream: http://www.myspace.com/monstersoffolk

thought this would suck, pleasantly surprised

Digging: Caribou - Our Love

Athom
September 19th 2009

I found this underwhelming. good review

Waior
September 19th 2009

I'm really excited to hear this. Another hit, Rudy.

September 19th 2009

thanks caleb. when i have some tequila tonight i'll think of you

September 19th 2009

Listening to the stream now - I feel like I should be outdoors going 'kum bai yaa' with a whole bunch of '69 era hippies with flowers in my hair and an acoustic slung around by back. And Johnny Cash.

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

September 19th 2009

you'd look cute with flowers in your hair alex

a/s/l

thebhoy
September 19th 2009

hmm, I've been wondering if this was going to be any good. Hopefully you're right!

Kiran
September 19th 2009

awesome, I've been looking forward to this

Upsidedown_and_Sideways
September 19th 2009

This is a great album. Nice flow from song to song....I also disagree with your your take on the opening track.

kingsoby1
September 19th 2009

come on rudy there's no way this is a 4.5... subtract one at very best.

September 19th 2009

Yea, 4.5 is a bit much for this.

thebhoy
September 19th 2009

yeah, this really isn't that amazing. It's good though but it lacks anything that really makes me want to listen to it more then just a few times here and there.

Tits McGee
September 19th 2009

I need to check this out. I can see this album being either really good, or really bad.

September 19th 2009

originally i heard this i was like okay 3.5 whatever but i'm listening to it more and more and what can i say, i just really have a
big boner for this type of music. sobhi you know this well from my m.ward review

September 19th 2009

this is going to suck dick, i know it

September 19th 2009

far superior than outer south if thats what you're thinking chan

Electric City

tutti frutti

oh, rudy : (

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

you're precious adam