Underoath
Cries of the Past

by StormX USER (5 Reviews)
August 18th, 2005 | 181 replies | 27,629 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

This was Underoath's second release, and second EP, although judging by it's length, it could be a full length. This was released in 2000, back before all the lineup changes, and it's not anything like their most recent release "They're Only Chasing Safety".If you don't like TOCS, don't judge Cries of the Past and Act of Depression by it, because it seems like totally different bands. Also, I'll do this as an overview, because the tracks are too long to really be able to do it well using a track by track format.

This CD is my favorite Underoath CD, and I really wish they would go back to making music like this. It's very unique, so you have to hear it for yourself; you can't ask if it sounds like another band. To classify it, it's synth-infested Christian Death Metal. And the keys/synth is very apparent throughout the whole album, wether it's just in the background or doing a solo, of which there are several. The drumming is also incredible on this album. I'm not sure where all Aaron's talent went, but he definatly had it here.

The lyrics are still very Christian influenced, allthough maybe not as much as Act of Depression. Dallas also demonstrates his massive vocal ability, ranging from near-vomiting low growls to high pitched shreiks, and everything in between. One of the guitarists also does vocals on this CD, which is some of the deep stuff. An example of the vocals would be the intro to "Walking Away", where there are double tracked vocals. Dallas is the foreground, in his normal mid-high scream, and in the background is a much deeper scream. Also in this part, there is singing in the background, which I believe is Aaron.

If I had to choose a weak point to this album, it'd be the guitar work. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but the guitarists decided they were so good at tremolo picking that they'd do it all the time. Hell, there's even a trem picked solo. There are some very good guitar parts through, such as the solos in "The Last" and "Giving Up Hurts the Most". The solo in "The Last" isn't anything special, no super fast sweep picking or anything, but it just sounds so damn cool. The guitar slowly builds up and goes back down, and the simple drums and synth in the background just add to the whole effect. The solo on "Giving Up Hurts The Most" is the tremolo picking solo I mentioned earlier. It's a lot faster then The Last's, and it also has some sweet sounding parts.

I haven't mentioned bass at all, and there's a good reason. You can't notice it, at all. At least I never have. The guitars and drums just blast in your face and overpower it, and when they aren't going, it's usually an acoustic segment without bass anyway. Speaking of acoustic parts, there are several scattered throughout the songs, and I have to say, they all sound very similar.

Overall, this album is the best from Underoath, and one of the best I've heard. It's ungodly hard to get an actual copy of it, but it seems to have spread well online, so try and get ahold of it if you haven't already, you won't be disappointed.

PS. Sorry for the poor quality of the review, it was somewhat of a spontaenous thing.

3.3
Subrick (4)
Underoath playing blackened metalcore. No, I didn't think it was possible either....

TheMabee (4.5)

Grimley313 (5)
Underoath release a great second ep...

Young_And_Aspiring (3.5)

Dead_Trench

Is this actually metal?

DFelon204409
August 18th 2005

Of course it's metal. That was what Underoath used to be.

choke383

this is metal

Sydney Hafon
August 19th 2005

I hesitate to call this metal. Metalcore would be more accurate a label.This Message Edited On 08.19.05

DFelon204409
August 19th 2005

Have you heard this album? (Ya, I agree with you but I don't trust you yet).

Sydney Hafon
August 19th 2005

Yes, I have heard the album.

Motleyguy
September 24th 2005

STOP WITH ALL THE GODDAMN -CORE GENRES!!! Yes, this album is metal, completely different sound from their latest 2 works, which are more emo/screamo.

LOOK Daean said
February 4th 2006

This album is damn good, this one and Act Of Depression own so much over their new crap.

true metal.

February 5th 2006

^^^^^i agree

Concubine
February 17th 2006

I've heard Cries of The Past and Giving Up Hurts the Most...
They alright.. I mean, they both better than anything on their later albums, but it's not exactly what i expected.. I thought it was gonna be like really heavy death metal-ish or something..

March 16th 2006

I love this album, although I don't own the actual copy but hardly anyone does anyway. Good review.

I own it. :-D

I'm quite proud of that. This CD is awesome, though I agree that it's nothing like their new stuff. Underoath is an everchanging band, and I'm excited to hear their new CD.

tooluver31
March 16th 2006

I have heard a couple of songs off of this album and it is metal, but i will agree that there are a few of sketchy moments for me on the album so i see where all of the debate is coming from.

StormX
March 16th 2006

Supposedly Underoath's new CD is "going back to their roots", so maybe it'll be more like this.

screamo_rocks_101
March 18th 2006

i seriously doubt that, especially with the new singer. theyre too much like every other band nowdays. Maybe if they got dallas back they could do it.

good review, i like this cd the most. My favorite for some reason is "Cries of the past"

March 18th 2006

their new album is going to be harder, but no, it's not going to be like this. Sorry.

I love this album, though I think most of the songs feel really uneven and disjointed. They'll be playing this super hard riff, then an open chord will ring, drums will pause, and one guitarist will start playing a faster, more metal riff. Rinse, repeat, throw in a slower part every once in a while. Still, a great album, and some great riffing, especially on "And I Dreamt of You" and "The Last"

TheAdventure
March 23rd 2006

This album is one of their best ones if not the best

power_lutin
March 26th 2006

This album is great. Nothing like what they do nowadays.

Shikyo
April 7th 2006

This is UnderOath's greatest album. No ands, ifs, buts about it. I really with that they go back to THIS sound for their newer album.

April 11th 2006

sorry, their new album isnt anything like this. Personally, I prefer their new style to this one, I think it's more original. No, Chasing Safety isn't all that original, but its more original then another metal album. Don't get me wrong, I love this CD, but the only standout part is some of the synth stuff, and even then, thats not all that original.

And to those who've heard the leaked version of the new CD: you know its alot more original than anything they've done before, though I wouldn't call it groundbreakingly original. I also daresay it's probably the best CD they've ever released.

Birth of the Wicked
April 30th 2006

act of depression and cries of the past
are defenatly the best underoath albums
i just wish they would have kept it going