Poison the Well
The Tropic Rot

by PeteyThePistol USER (9 Reviews)
September 4th, 2009 | 23 replies

Review Summary: Poison The Well create a classic album that goes from being heavy and loud to beautiful and soft, and everything in between.

The first song I head from Poison The Well was "Exist Underground". Having never previously listened to them I was reluctant to buy the album and be disappointed with one great song and the rest of the material just being sub par. Reluctantly I bought the CD and began to listen and it was one of the greatest 10 dollars I have ever spent.

The Tropic Rot is an amazing album, the music on the entire CD flows wonderfully, there is not a moment on the CD when the song seems to be a filler, none of the transitions seem forced or as if they were written because they had no other idea what to do. The CD goes from being brutal and heavy making you bang your head to hypnotizing you, and making you almost somber. Tracks like "Sparks It Will Rain", "Cinema", and "Celebrate The Pyre" are heavy and are filled with harsh screams that sound as though they were delivered easily, not forced or strained like other vocalists. Whereas songs such as "When You Lose I Lose As Well", "Are You Anywhere", and "Without You and One Other I Am Nothing" are sung with a soft and well placed tenor range creating breaks in the album from the heavier material, almost as a palate cleanser so you can completely enjoy every track.

Another thing that The Tropic Rot is excellent with is the instrumentals. The guitars are unique in the melodies that they play and are very welcome compared to some of the other cookie cutter guitarists that metalcore is crowded with. The bass is very audible in "Pampelmousse" and "Makeshift Clay You" and is otherwise drowned out a little bit by the guitars and drums. The drumming is superb, he doesn't rely too heavily on his double bass pedals (and believe me I love double bass) but instead uses much more of his kit creating a much more unique sound that greatly compliments the rest of the music.

Overall The Tropic Rot is, in my opinion, one of the greatest releases of 2009, buy this album if you are a metalcore fan, a metal fan who wants something different, or just a fan of good music in general.

Songs I Recommend:
Cinema, Antarctica Inside Me, Are You Anywhere

Every Time I Die Hot Damn!The Acacia Strain The Dead Walk
The Red Chord Prey for EyesThe Dillinger Escape Plan Miss Machine
Bring Me the Horizon Suicide SeasonEvery Time I Die New Junk Aesthetic
Justin Taslak (4)
Everything Versions should have been, The Tropic Rot is on par with Poison the Well's best albums....

bamfe9 (4)
Brutal, Beautiful, Brilliant. South Florida's finest return in fine form....

PeteyThePistol
September 4th 2009

First Review, be gentle please!

Slimjim367

Pretty good man

fromtheinside

19029 Comments

cinema is a great song. as is when you lose. pos'd solid review.

Digging: Ibex Throne - Ibex Throne

Groink
September 5th 2009

Nice review, this kicks ass.

Lelle

LepreCon

Meh

PeteyThePistol
September 5th 2009

Thanks everyone, and yeah I love this Cd as you can tell from my review.

YouAreMySilence
September 5th 2009

I could never get into Poison The Well, I guess Ill try again soon though.

Amnesty
September 5th 2009

I love this album twice as much as anyone on this site.

November 25th 2009

^perhaps Amnesty, but I am SO close to giving this a 5 rating. Easily my favorite album of the year and it's quickly closing in on YCBY as my favorite from Poison the Well. Sooo good...

Digging: Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary

Amnesty
December 11th 2009

^do it. Cd is their best.

DiceMan
December 11th 2009

I don't think I could ever give this a 5. It is quite good though.

Dreamsoffew
December 11th 2009

Inveigh has it right, You Come Before You is the better of the 2, but this is still amazing

February 20th 2010

I'm sorry guys, but I can't deny it anymore. I love every single track on this disc, I'm still listening to it multiple times every week and I've had it since it came out -- iTunes says it is my most listened to album of the past 5 months.

This album deserves a 5 from me. But You Come Before You is still the better (and my favorite) of the two.

Also, I forgot a couple months ago when I first read this, but sweet review man -- I enjoyed the brevity of it, you hit on a lot of the positives of the album and you listed three of my favorite tracks. Although I'd put Exist Underground and Who Doesn't Love a Good Dismemberment above Cinema. But just barely. There's a not a bad song here.

Captain North
February 20th 2010

Yeah, thats like me with YCBY, I've been listening to it at least once every couple of days since I first starting listening to it around the same time this came out.

February 21st 2010

Ah, I've been on the YCBY kick since it came out. That one's still a little better I think, but the gap is closing quickly. Glad we at least agree on PtW Captain -- Deftones aside :-)

Captain North
February 24th 2010

Wait, do you agree Versions is a heap of shit compared to all their other stuff and is boring?

February 24th 2010

I used to think that about it. I didn't like it much when it first came out and therefore PtW sort of moved out of my "favorite bands" kinda thing. Which is too bad because my band played a show with them the day I graduated college and I didn't really take the time to appreciate it as much as I wished I had looking back now (it was a crazy day though, to be fair).

However, I've been listening to Versions a lot lately. It's moved above Tear From the Red on my list of PtW albums, and I've got it rated a 4 now (as compared to like a 3 when it came out -- had I been a member of Sputnik). Songs like Letter Thing, Slow Good Morning, Prematurio El Baby, Naive Monarch and Riverside are up there with their best material in my opinion. There are some duds, like Pleading Post and You Will Not Be Welcomed, but they're still not bad tracks. Kind of like the EP that came after it (I think the production was part o the problem on both of those), there were great tracks (Purple Sabbath) and duds (A# No. 1). They took a long time to grow I guess is what I mean through all this rambling.