Tyr
By the Light of the Northern Star

by ThyCrossAwaits USER (46 Reviews)
August 26th, 2009 | 28 replies | 10,885 views

Review Summary: “By the sword in my hand, I will conquer the land. I will decimate and decapitate those who question the sword in my hand!”

While on their innumerable raiding and pillaging voyages, the Vikings must have picked up two vital skills: the ability to come up with an eternity’s worth of tasteless war lyrics, and the skill to continually write delectable metal until no one really cares about the lyrics anymore. Like a clean-vocals incarnation of Amon Amarth, Faroese band Tyr have cranked out another Viking power metal record, and for the life of me I can’t stop listening.

Even past the laughable lyrics about swords, war, and heathenism, Tyr still embody stereotypical Viking metal. These Faroese go shirtless, braid each other’s beards, and wear leather armor. But from the hooky power metal of “Ride” to the beer-chanting of “Tróndur * Gøtu,” By the Light of the Northern Star is just ridiculously entertaining. The vocals (especially the omnipresent gang vocals) can verge on pretentious, but it’s all for the sake of good fun…and beer. On “Hold the Heathen Hammer High” the riffage topped by the slurring gang vocals is more fun than an ale-soaked beard, and Korpiklaani would be proud of the battle cry “By the Sword In My Hand” and the epic “Into the Storm”. Both the guitar-backed religious chorale of “Turið Torkilsdóttir” and the title track are epically beautiful. Even the solos are excellent.

The music may be simple, there’s no over-technical guitar wankery or keyboards, but that also means that the album is gimmick-free and completely true to form. Tyr veer from the heavy (“By the Sword In My Hand”) to the melodic (“Turið Torkilsdóttir”), but every song is full of mead-driven spirit and incredibly catchy hooks. No grand awards will be given to By the Light of the Northern Star, but fortune prick me if it isn’t a longboat-load of awesome.

Swans The SeerDarkosis Darkosis
Dragged Into Sunlight WidowMakerThe Killers Battle Born
Om Advaitic SongsGrinning Death's Head Golden Dawn
ScuroFantasma (4)
A Viking/folk metal fusion that is guaranteed to convert you into a barbarian of air guitars, unfor...

August 26th 2009

Shit man, i've been blasting this all day. With the windows down, most specifcally the title track, By The Sword In My Hand, and Northern Gate. This is balls out viking metal, none of that pussified faggoty purple Wintersun shit. Ace review.

ThyCrossAwaits
August 26th 2009

I really really like this. It's ridiculously awesome.

Essence
August 27th 2009

Could have made that the entire review and I would have downloaded it. Yes I'm aware Balls didn't write it, but if you're writing a Viking Metal review, you might as well quote him.

Zip

Yah Balls is basically this site's offical Viking

LepreCon
August 27th 2009

Never got into Tyr, should I start with this or Land?

Digging: Overkill - White Devil Armory

Demonicgman

epic

lobby
August 27th 2009

will acquire this real soon

ThyCrossAwaits

yay, i'm influential.

plutosatanclubhouse
August 27th 2009

I will definitely be checking this out soon, good review.

Metalstyles
August 27th 2009

good review man, I've been spinning some Ensiferum and Amon Amarth lately so i guess i will check this out also in the coming days.

Greggers
August 27th 2009

Good review, I have their other albums but I could never really get into them, still, I may yet check this out

Poet
August 28th 2009

Yah Balls is basically this site's offical Viking

Yet he looks far from a viking.

Essence
August 28th 2009

He's a broking.

Hawks
November 24th 2010

Hyperion was right, this is awesome.

Digging: Brutal Truth - Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses

MetalMartin
March 14th 2011

Enjoyable band. Refreshing arrangements. I like the folk influences. Only my first listen. I'm sure I'll appreciate it more after additional listens.

MetalMartin
March 15th 2011

Second listen and I can tell I really enjoy the various solos throughout. In some of the songs sometimes you're about to get
a bit bored and all of a sudden the song shifts, like the beat changes or the riff changes or a solo starts. Final summation
you don't get bored at all. The gang singning is also very good and differenciate this band from others within the genre,
which is awesome.

nagstar89
May 30th 2011

and lol.'ride' has a green day - holiday vibe to it..and the 1st half of the song sucks .but the rest of the album is kinda good..nice review mate

Shuyin
January 28th 2012

title track is so awsome m/

Digging: Integral - Sercosa

ViperAces
April 13th 2013

this is so cheesy and generic

demigod!