Collective Soul
Rabbit

good

by Vegeta of Nazareth USER (21 Reviews)
August 25th, 2009 | 19 replies | 9,392 views

Review Summary: Collective Soul keeps to the beaten path, but manages to spark a throwback to their comfortable decade here and there.

The main component Collective Soul has always been concerned with is 'accessibility' - and it doesn't take a real heap of acuity to see that. Tracking back to the year of their first single, "Shine", way back in 1993, the band really kept no secrets. Their motive was simple: make catchy, easily enjoyable singles, put them on an album surrounded by marginally above average songs, and fill the rest of the tracks up with whatever they can until they reach trusty number 12.
And damn if it didn't work - Collective Soul eventually made their way to the tip of the majority's tongue at the hands of a 'Greatest Alternative Rock Band of the 90's' discussion. They rely on a mature but manageable sound with not much to think about except to sit back and drink in the barefaced rock. Nobody would have expected this old dog to learn new tricks, yet lead singer Ed Roland promised their new release to be a rebirth for the band. Instead, they stick to hiking down the beaten path on their eighth studio album and second self-titled, Collective Soul (Rabbit).

It's evident while listening to Rabbit that the band didn't rack their brains trying to shoot for the stars. Although they have little reason to experiment due to their genuine and friendly sound, the all-too-familiar rhythms and chords can come as a turnoff if Roland doesn't fight forth with his deep shaded voice to echo through and hook you. On instances like "Dig", Roland is able to take a no-brainer, straightforward rock tune and keep you onboard in time to reap a squealing guitar solo. On other songs, however, his voice can't afford to get lost, but it does. The electric guitar and dancing tambourine in "Lighten Up" slightly muffles Roland - and while it can be fun to follow the rhythm, the song gets lost on you until moving on to a twangy riff.

Nostalgia junkies will surely be exhilarated with the vast number of 'ode to 90's' songs. The second "You" beats in with a slow bass-snare-tambourine alternation and a sensitive guitar melody, it can wholeheartedly steal you and retrace the best years of your life. If "You" represents the kiss of the 90's, then "Understanding" assuredly represents the punch. Starting with a steady, flashing riff that resembles Local H's "Bound For the Floor", Roland kicks up a nice vocal line to compliment the sound before busting out into a 'school's out' type chorus. This energy spike would've been helpful if it were saved to follow the relaxer-rocker and lead single, "Staring Down". You could detect the typical lead single scent a mile away, even if you haven't heard it before. It has all of the symptoms of a buzzing ballad: the piano melody, the percussion touch-ups, the way the end of the verses break off before the chorus, the "ooh ooh ooh" cooing of the background voices... Even though the song holds up its own, it can either become the steady bridge to the album's halves or a forgettable tune altogether.

When looking at Rabbit for what it is, a cd to play loudly in your car for the summer or a gift to give your dad or mom, it can easily be seen as great. There is nothing disappointing with this release unless you expected Collective Soul to make an aboutface and blow your mind with demented riffs and abnormal lyrics. Then again, you should've figured that out as soon as the David Bowie embodiment, "Fuzzy", began with it's whistling simpleton groove. The band keeps true to its pledge to help alleviate the stresses of everyday hassles while also reinforcing Roland's ability to write deliberately polished songs. But even with all of the pleasant throwbacks to their favorable decade, there still lacks a true life of musical experimentation that a band should always strive to keep up. Nonetheless, Rabbit remains to be a comforting breeze for the lighthearted.

Shiner The EggBilly Boy On Poison Drama Junkie Queen
Sole and the Skyrider Band PlastiqueBear in Heaven Beast Rest Forth Mouth
Halford Halford III - Winter SongsJack Penate Everything Is New
3.1
good
Mike Stagno EMERITUS (2.5)
Rabbit isn't bad, it's just incredibly dull....

Phantom
August 25th 2009

"Dig" "You" "Fuzzy" "Love"

nice review mang

Waior
August 25th 2009

I'm going to have to say this is your best review yet. Really great work, Scott. Do people still care about CS?

PuddlesPuddles
August 25th 2009

Thanks friends and imaginary friends

People do...but those people are old people. :-(

Phantom, are you citing the songs you like or are you happy to see me?

Douglas

Swell review once more

Mikesn
August 25th 2009

I usually like Collective Soul, but this is pretty boring.

fromtheinside
August 25th 2009

omg, i remember this band. excellent review puds.
pos'd!

Digging: Lord Mantis - Death Mask

Blindsided
August 25th 2009

I was going to review this. Still might.

mvdu
August 26th 2009

Some artists, like George Strait, can get by making the same kind of material because they pick such good songs. This is the case with Collective Soul, which have such a good formula that they just need to keep the good material coming. Based on what I've heard, I would likely rate this higher.

Red3
August 27th 2009

To the one who wrote this review: Are you stupid? Ok that's a rhetorical question, my bad. Did you half ass listening or got the bonus track and heard "Heart to Heart" which nearly brings you to tears as you comfortably imagine your next to Ed on the wooden floor and he begins to strum as you sole him in. If you had any emotional inteligence or life experience you would see that "you" is about a Soulmate that you never let go, all days are level and about them (never do you feel anything else). "Understanding" doesn't even sound like Ed's voice so he went far on that limb you claim he didn't think of. Go to the Berkley School of Music where Ed studied and maybe learn to string words together and see that even a 25 yr old girl like myself is moved by lyrics like: "this is all I know.. loves all you need... I'm only hear to teach, to learn... sooner than you know it'll be your turn" cause I understand it means: As a father figure he is telling a son what to expect from life and pit falls to avoid while conceding he's also learning from the son who soon will be the father giving this talk. Problem for Ed in writting insanely talented lyrics that are poetic to the point of being philosophical is that people like you that let me guess are part of the masses and aren't in the top 5% of earners like Ed and I, is you'll never have the culture to understand and appreciate his master pieces and he kindly puts them out just the same... Ed said it best "Why follow me, lost as you swear I am". To spell it out: if you swear he's so mediocre then go make a mind altering hit of your own and stop judging what your lack of a soul doesn't allow for. Your the Non Dairy Creamer 3eb sings of when they say "you can get some implants but not buy a Soul, with your chest pumped up what are you still afraid of?". So "learn baby learn"!

Douglas
August 27th 2009

Unlucky on the troll there Puddles. lol look at his album ratings.

Jim
August 27th 2009

ATTN SPUTNIK. can this please replace shadow's blackwater park review as the ultimate sputnik meme.

yours sincerely

jim

Spare
August 27th 2009

idk, there'd be a lot of changing words and sentences to make it relevant.

Jim
August 27th 2009

not even. it would be funnier.

this guy has serious wood for "Ed" and the world should know

Ponton
August 27th 2009

I remember their self-titled album being pretty good. Can't believe that was nearly 15 years ago . . . jeez, time is crazy.

Digging: Mimicking Birds - Mimicking Birds

PuddlesPuddles
August 27th 2009

Ah God, I always thought my first neg would've been funnier ...

I'm all for being moved as a 25 year old girl, but...ayeesh

PS: Ursa Major > Rabbit
Even though you negged that too

Blindsided
August 28th 2009

Is it weird that the neg was by someone who's name is red3 which is simliar to the actual user red0?

fishdude
September 1st 2009

Collective Soul's original Self-titled album from 1995 was one of the best rock albums to come out of the 90's. Dosage from 1999 was good also. I have seen these guys a few time live and they are the best live band I have seen and I have seen a lot. They take a lot of pride in there performances and their music. CS going independent in 2001 really was a mistake for them and put them out of the mainstream. The new "Rabbit" album is very good in my opinion with a great mix of songs. I love U2 but their new album is not even close to being as good as "Rabbit" and the guys from CS made their album in a month and a half during a break from touring. It took U2 two years. CS is very talented and one of the most underrated bands out there.

kcurtis48917
September 4th 2009

Excellent album! Collective Soul truly IS one of the most underrated bands out there!

EVedder27
September 18th 2009

nice review puddles. I may check this out just because I have liked Collective Soul in the past. Not expecting much though.