The Bloody Beetroots
Romborama

by doug USER (78 Reviews)
August 21st, 2009 | 68 replies | 14,783 views

Review Summary: Dance goes... Cross genre?

The Bloody Beetroots are an Italian electro duo formed by producer Bobby Rifo and DJ Tommy Tea. And there is nothing subtle about these two. To make this point more obvious, on their MySpace they state themselves as thus: Close your eyes and imagine, if you will, the bastard son of the Misfits and Daft Punk. As gruesome as the act of conception may appear, the union would generate the most grandiose of offspring. A formidable force, not unlike the Bloody Beetroots. And that statement couldn’t ring more true. The Bloody Beetroots mix hard electro beats, with some of the most outlandish extras you could possibly think of. The album also boasts guest appearances by The Cool Kids, Justin Pearson (The Locust, Head Wound City), Ed Banger artist Vicarious Bliss, and many more.

In 2008, the pairs EP went extremely well with the iTunes market but it has been the remix work and large club gigs that have seen them rise to fame. The pair has ripped through Europe, Asia and the US with ridiculously abrasive electro and house and their debut effort shows that they are formidable producers, in their own right. Romborama is the Bloody Beetroots first full length attempt, and they do it with quite an amount of style. They make some of the most brain-jarring electro that a 3am club crowd would appreciate with open arms.

The Bloody Beetroots stick to a similar formula, armed with an infectious supply of beats Romborama injects thunderous grooves and chaos into the listeners ears. The biggest surprise on here is the track they've put together with hip hop duo, Cool Kids, ‘Awesome’. While you'd suspect the collaboration would be a train wreck, it's actually one of the album's highlights as well as the first single. Though the contradiction in music doesn’t end there, Bobby Rifo was a student of classical composers, and the influence of this is obvious throughout numerous tracks on Romborama. The thought of classical mixed with electro just doesn’t seem to sink in well, but make no mistake, no matter what is combined, The Bloody Beetroot’ main objective is to create the perfect dance floor album, and each track to be covered with heavy beats.

While it may be a dance floor album, The Bloody Beetroots successfully mix large amounts of genres into one album and have gained a large amount of radio play. With mainly only standout tracks Ramborama doesn’t quite flow like it should and the rest is somewhere between Justice and an insane Italian night club powered by meth. But hell, it’s a dance album.

Flume and Chet Faker LockjawThe Naked and Famous In Rolling Waves
James Blake OvergrownTaylor Swift Red
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis The HeistChet Faker Thinking in Textures

August 21st 2009

So, does anyone know about these guys?

Skyler
August 21st 2009

Yeah, but I've been trying to avoid the whole "blog house" scene, as most of it is garbage.

Calculate
August 21st 2009

This/these guys are frign cool, but there a few dull trax. 3.5 seems about right.

kingsoby1
August 22nd 2009

lol "blog house" scene. totally true.

this is decent.

Waior

bloody beetroots? really?

StreetlightRock

Really.

These guys are internet huge, I've been stalking their myspace for ages. Pretty bangin'

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

NortherlyNanook
August 22nd 2009

would listen for the justin pearson but wont

Spare

feetchurd, congrats douglas

Digging: Best Witches - Wishes

Hey awesome!

PanasonicYouth
August 22nd 2009

I've been stalking their myspace for ages.

creepy, bro
creepy

DaveyBoy

20857 Comments

All together now:

"Hearts to hearts & hands to hands, beneath the blue & white we stand..."

ninjuice
August 23rd 2009

Awesome review man and congrats on feature.

August 23rd 2009

Hey Davey, who's going to make the finals?

And thanks ninjuice

DaveyBoy

20857 Comments

I could see that comment coming a mile away. Today's result; I couldn't.

I tell you what, there's some holes appearing. That was almost North Ballarat that beat you today. Obst is as good as delisted, Josh Smith has struggled all year, Garlett is about 2 years away, Edwards is out of form, Lower is just a battler. But f**k me, Zac Dawson made them all look like Brownlow medallists.

August 23rd 2009

Bahah, it's alright, we had a fair few descent players out. Though I was at work at all day, so no idea on how the game unfolded, until I asked someone. Shattered, really shattered! But ah... September is the time that counts!

Kudos Davey : )

thebbqshrimp
August 23rd 2009

These guys fuckin' ownnnnn! I was wondering when they'd get some love on here.

I've been getting hugely into the house/trance scene as of late. I wanna see them live sooo badly. HARD Haunted Mansion in LA on Halloween night = Justice, Basement Jaxx, Deadmau5, Steve Aoki, Bloody Beetroots fuck yessssss

August 23rd 2009

I just love using it as driving music!

Jim

nice feature mang

alachlahol
August 23rd 2009

nothing better than taking a shit with a venom mask on

Waior