Mothra
Dyes

by Adam Thomas STAFF
August 18th, 2009 | 11 replies | 3,141 views

Review Summary: Godzilla adversary cranks out Metalcore

Metalcore is one of those genres that while I love it, chances are that if your band formed sometime after my sophomore year of high school (circa 2004) that my opinion on it will be overwhelmingly negative. My heart belongs to the bands that carried the little bastard into prominence. Acts like Converge, Coalesce, Botch, and The Dillinger Escape Plan; not the fashionistas prancing around your local fairgrounds every summer on the Warped Tour. Poland's Mothra continue on with the unabashed urgency of the aforementioned bands, and do their part in not being a carbon copy of their influences by bringing a healthy dose of groove and sludge to their semi-technical Metalcore backbone.

Their latest release, the 27 minute Dyes EP, begins with the jagged "Squant". Vocalist Egon Warynski's burly-man howl clashes against the violent riffing and cascading drums in a dissonant riff-stravaganza that hearkens back to Metalcore's halcyon days. Mothra's obvious sludge metal influence comes to the forefront on "Octarine" with its down-tempo meandering. As the plodding down-tuned chords climax in the chorus, it's hard not to be reminded a bit of Harvey Milk. Both the sludgy side and the Botch influenced side on the album's closer. Split into two parts, "Fullgin" is a beast. Drummer Daniel Szwed beats his kit like mad man as guitarist Pawel Stefan Rosiak navigates through a mine field of angular leads before things slow down in the track's second half.

Even though Mothra bring their A game for most of Dyes, there is one place where it falters. "Hooloovoo" is too familiar for it's own good. While not a bad song, it fails to distance itself enough from every other chug-chug-neener-neener song to have been released in the last decade. Normally this wouldn't be too much of an issue, but with only 6 songs it makes it harder to look over.

All in all, Mothra is a refreshing slice of the Metalcore pie. It's heavy, powerful, and pissed off, and stays far away from the Swedish Melo-death rip offs and breakdown whores that give the genre a bad name. And to their credit, the normally tacky hidden track at the end of the disc is a Terrorizer cover. How bad ass is that?!

United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim

*ding*

i knew that was coming.

accompliceofmydeath
August 19th 2009

Not gonna lie, I will be checking this out just because of the name.

Digging: Devo - Freedom of Choice

Wizard

19343 Comments

That alone makes me want to order this right now. Plus the fact that European metalcore sounds NOTHING like American poocore. I will give you a high five followed by a vote sexy man!

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse

why thank you, sir.

OvrotLivesAgain

Badass Album

October 5th 2010

wtf how do you that this exists!?

OvrotLivesAgain
October 5th 2010

How do i know this exists?
I searched Mothra in the database after my friends thought about naming our band after our favorite godzilla character.
I liked it.