Between the Buried and Me
Colors

by Slimjim367 USER (19 Reviews)
August 17th, 2009 | 23 replies | 3,244 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Colors is proof that Between The Buried and Me are going places.

When I think of a full, complete album yearning for nothing, there is but one thought that comes to mind: Colors. When Colors came out nearly two years ago it completely blew me away. The musicianship from the record was amazing, it combined so many genres together seemlessly, but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

A few months before Colors came out, the band ran a website devoted to it, with videos and fan interpretations each song up by day. This alone was unique for me as every separate interpretation was in itself deeply enriching to the songs and the fans had so much to say about the musicianship the band presented. Different reviews and previews of the album called it the best they'd heard either ever or in a very long time.

The album begins with the faint chords of a piano echoing out and Tommy singing faintly, but quickly explodes into a chorus or harmony and beautiful melodic sweeping. It then completely changes over to the metal perspective. The remaining 8 songs, for those who don't know, if any, run together creating the effect of one song throughout the album. Colors is a record that showcases what Between the Buried and Me actually is capable of and what the climax of their career looks like.

There are so many genre changes throughout the hour and four minutes that is Colors, that one begins to lose track by the fourth song, 'Sun of Nothing' The technicality exercised by the guitarists and drummer, and the gorgeously soothing bass playing just come together so well. Tommy`s vocal work exceed my precedent and expectations for great singing and screaming. The emotion expressed by his faint, almost ghost like voice, combined with his furiously screamed words can get to one at times.

The entire album's song placement is key also, each son continues what the last left unsaid, so that by `White Walls`, the listener truly finishes Colors, the sense of an ending on it proves that Between the Buried and Me really took the care and time to write an epic piece of music.

My few problems with the album are in the first songs. `(B): the Decade Of Statues doesn`t seem to carry anything special in it, until the last few minutes of course, but up until then one can feel like it is almost a chore to bear through the intense song.

Overall, Colors was and still is my favourite album, (if no one could tell by my obviously biased review, though I did try to think of it neutrally), and if I want a complete album, I simply have to pop the Cd in, sit back, and relax.

Meshuggah obZenPelican What We All Come To Need
Becoming The Archetype DichotomyNo Hawaii Bruce Lee In Your Brain EP
Seneca ReflectionsRosesdead Stages
4.2

opblaaskonijn
August 17th 2009

I thought The Decade of Statues was awesome. I have more of a problem with Informal Gluttony, the chorus is the only thing I like about that song... and the ending that goes into Sun of Nothing.

Review is decent.

Waior
August 17th 2009

If weren't for the first three songs, this would probably be a 5 for me.

willfellmarsy
August 17th 2009

informal gluttony and The Decade of Statues are the only not amazing tracks on here...they still have enough moments to make them worthy of an ear, but they just don't do it as much as the others...

ConorMichaelJoseph

It's okay, I guess

August 17th 2009

I'm still thinking of lowering my rating because of tracks 2 and 3 but I don't think I will.

WhiteWallStargazers
August 17th 2009

I agree with other people that the transition between Informal Gluttony and Sun of Nothing isn't as strong as some of the others, and I'm also not a huge fan of the first three songs. They're still good but not up to par with the rest of the album

Waior
August 17th 2009

White Walls > Ants of the Sky = Son of Nothing > Veridian > Prequel to the Sequel > Foam Born (b) The Decade of Statues > Form Born (a) The Backtrack > Informal Gluttony.

I like The Decade of Statues enough but it doesn't compare to the last six songs.

cvlts
August 17th 2009

I enjoy the live version of Colors more than the actual studio CD

WhiteWallStargazers
August 17th 2009

Ants of the SKy > White Walls > Prequel to Sequel > Sun of Nothing > Informal Gluttony > Foam Born (a) Backtrack > Viridian > Foam Born (b) Decade of Statues

August 17th 2009

The studio cd and the live cd are almost identical.

August 17th 2009

Ants of the Sky > White Walls = Sun Of Nothing >Prequel to the Sequel > Foam Born (a) The Backtrack > Informal Gluttony > Foam Born (b) Decade of Statues

Shredzilla
August 17th 2009

Good review. A little short, but a pretty good review in the end. This album was absolutely fantastic. Not perfect but definitely a very well done album. Many say that The Silent Circus was their masterpiece, but this clearly is better, in my opinion.

Slimjim367

i agree
ive had this review on hold for quite a while
after thinking long and hard i decided that though it was short
everything to be said about colors has been said by others and pointless repetition is useless.
thus i posted it either way.

August 17th 2009

"If weren't for the first three songs, this would probably be a 5 for me. "

Cheers. Seriously though the rest is just god damn outstanding.

Aids
August 17th 2009

I didn't like this reveiw very much. I love the album though.

rasputin

ugh

taylormemer
August 17th 2009

Yep. Ugh. Ultra gay halbum.

IndieGuitarist
August 17th 2009

this album used to make me feel good but not so much anymore

rasputin
August 17th 2009

makes me feel good when i poo

taylormemer