Luke Pickett
Blood Money EP

by Caleb McAlpine USER (108 Reviews)
August 17th, 2009 | 24 replies | 9,463 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Regardless of whether it's certified as indie, pop, R&B or folk, 'Blood Money' is irrefutably good and ineffably promising.

Luke Pickett is just another reason why I love the UK. Being in a multi-cultural environment, I've done my fair share of British-accent admiration and have had an equal (perhaps excessive) dosage of Union Jacks decorating various paraphernalia. However, having never actually been far enough east to get a visual taste of that-which-is-across-ye-atlantic-sea, the only part of the UK that has legitimately bled into my cultural radar is the music. Whether or not this confirms claims of my lunacy and close-mindedness is wholly debatable but the fact that the country in question is a hotbed for musical brilliancy is inarguable - surely everybody knows that. Luke Pickett is something of an expansion to the British arsenal of talent. With roots entwined in his Minus the Bear meets old-Saosin post-hardcore band 'Her Words Kill', Pickett possess one of modern music's most impressive, comforting and broken sounding voices I've heard in recent time - especially when paired with his uncanny knack to create a hook and his accessible pop-sensibility.

Containing both the haunting atmosphere of Anchor and Braille's 'Felt' and the catchiness of just about any well-crafted pop song you could ever discover on your local radio, 'Blood Money' is a satisfying-but-not-quite-enough EP that precedes his imminent full-length (which may be stuck in production hell for the next decade or so). Opening with the invasively catchy but moody title track, Pickett immediately introduces his now-developed sound: high, convicted tenor vocals wrapped up in illustrious jazzy harmonies and subtle, yet effective instrumentation. Pickett's pop-tendencies are most evident on 'Cruel Love' which recalls a loopy synth that encircles his meandering acoustic guitar and (dare I say it) Timberlake-y falsetto hook: "And I need a miracle to save me from your cruel love" (while not a terrific lyricist, he amply gets the job done). Closing two songs 'Lay Down Your Cards (Guilty As Charged)' and 'Going Down With Ship' showcase two completely juxtaposed facets of Pickett; the former, a gratuitously R&B-tanged indulgence in memorability and programmed drum beats and the latter, a recall to his debut 'For Every Petal Lost, Another Gained' EP with it's beautifully distressed vocals and encompassing atmosphere.

If any fault were to wrongfully plague 'Blood Money', it would be the underwhelming amount of material offered - four songs on a 20077 EP is wholly insufficient when it's 2009 and you still haven't released a full length album yet (he is supposedly still an active musician). However, as a whole, 'Blood Money's genre-ambiguouty and Pickett's exquisite songwriting make the EP a positive outing and an incredibly promising glimpse into great, great things.

The Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark ValleyDan Mangan Oh Fortune
The Decemberists Long Live the KingThe Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & Melody
Antoine Dufour ConvergencesThe Head And The Heart The Head And The Heart

August 17th 2009

a) review is really a track by track, yeah?
b) this isn't sean fournier, strikey
c) excellent EP

let me know how it is

August 17th 2009

I think I will like this! Oh ghost Pos, now that's a first.

August 17th 2009

hehe sweet checking this out asap

btw brilliancy isn't a word jus' so's you know and i think you need a 7 on the end of the 200 at the start of the last para?

so this is pretty damn good

1st track rules

sometimes he sounds like a particular pop vocalist i cant think who though but it's kinda weird

Link?

can't post links :o

i realised he sounds like the guy out of the script which is not a bad thing because the music is nothing like

How come makes me sad.

August 17th 2009

just rapidshare search it up

Dealio

August 17th 2009

it's annoying me that i can't place his voice it's not always like the guy from the script

so this is pretty damn good

Finally. Dougie, heard this yet?

Brilliancy is a word in my country, where you at?

August 17th 2009

mybad it's one of those made up modern words you damn kids use

makes me wonder why i bother studying language sometimes when you can just make up whole sentences anyway

August 17th 2009

Most of my favorite authors are quirky enough to use a handful of neologistic phrases and personal colloquialisms. Besides, if I've been able to say "satisfying-but-not-quite-enough" and "that-which-is-across-ye-atlantic-sea", brilliancy should be child's play!

hahaha true.

it saddens me that this is only 4 songs long although i think he'd need to mix it up a bit on a full-length.

and lol where you edited the date at the start of the last para we're now 18thousand years in the futuee.

August 17th 2009

Agreed. I hear he's working on one but information on him is too sparse to figure out. I'm going to check out his earlier work and his old band's work.

Get with the times, strikey

DaveyBoy

20855 Comments

Ooh, this sounds interesting. Good review Caleb.

"and have had an equal (perhaps excessive) dosage of Union Jacks decorating various paraphernalia"

So, how many Def leppard t-shirts do you have? :-)

August 19th 2009

Yeah you'd LOVE this Davey. Convinced.

August 19th 2009

So, how many Def leppard t-shirts do you have? :-)

You misunderstand, the only foreign merchandise I own is a pair of socks that say "Scotland" on it.

You'd probably like this.

August 20th 2009

I enjoy this somewhat.

August 20th 2009

I enjoy this quite a lot.