Against Me!

by Adam Thomas STAFF
August 15th, 2009 | 91 replies | 13,182 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dear mother, this is just survival

This review in its original incarnation was a long-winded pile of bullshit. A contrived narrative about the state of punk rock and my reasonings as to why I believe that Against Me!'s Reinventing Axl Rose is the genre's finest moment. Luckily, a beer and another run through the album later, I managed to get my head out of my ass long enough to scrap that idea. Reinventing Axl Rose wasn't meant to be taken apart brick by brick and over-analyzed. It is a cathartic release of Tom Gabel's frustrations and fervor. A perfectly packaged smorgasbord of political manifesto, personal struggle, and freewheeling world view set to the tune of towering sing-alongs.

From Warren Oakes' militant snare that ushers in the album on the galloping "Pints of Guinness Make You Strong" to the distant and solitary feedback that closes it on "8 Full Hours of Sleep", Reinventing Axl Rose is a powder-keg of incendiary ideals and do it yourself ethic. While Gabel's anarchist call to arms may seem shallow in misguided at first glance, his blistering howls soar on the power of his (at the time) deep rooted convictions. At its most uproarious, Reinventing Axl Rose hits with the youthfully optimistic "We Laugh At Danger (And Break All the Rules)" and the scathingly accusatory "Walking is Still Honest", all complimenting the more subdued emotional family narrative of "Pints of Guinness Make You Strong" and the dogmatic "Baby, I'm An Anarchist". The album's namesake song ends with it's most important sentiment: "We all are stronger than everything they taught us that we should fear."

Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There

wtf

WHO POSd

klap

SOUNDOFF

but seriously, short reviews rule

Digging: Woods - With Light And With Love

Transient
August 15th 2009

but when it came time to throw bricks through that starbucks window you left me all alone

all alone :'(

Kiran
August 15th 2009

reminds me that i haven't listened to this enough

Captain Civic

Sounds interesting.

August 15th 2009

Amazing! I am glad to see a well written 5 review for this. You like it slightly more than I do but I may eventually bump it to a 5. Good job man! pos

PanasonicYouth

album FUCKING RULES.
review is short, sweet, and to the point. pos'd.

August 15th 2009

Holy shit, thank you for reviewing. Second listening now and it's fucking amazing.

glad you liked it.

Tulannical

2051 Comments

i've never heard this but i think i'll listen to it right now. nice review btw

scyther
August 15th 2009

It's good but some parts of this thing are so. damn. boring.

tom79
August 15th 2009

Maybe the best album ever

Digging: Bent Outta Shape - Stray Dog Town

ryan42138
August 15th 2009

i dont see anything all that special in this. everything ive heard from it is pretty average. then
again, ive only heard a few songs (no more than one listen through each) so my opinion may change.

August 15th 2009

Maybe you just don't get punk.

ryan42138
August 15th 2009

no i actually love punk. like i said though, i still have to give it a good listen

August 17th 2009

okay, I've been spinning this constantly for the past few days. And the weather is so perfect. Amazing combination. Love, love, love this album. First time I've felt content in ages.

August 20th 2009

Album is now officially classic in my opinion.

that was quick

August 20th 2009

I can always take it away if it doesn't stand the test of time. But at the moment, I'm playing it near constantly and it's managing to have an impact every single time I hear it. That's a rare thing.