Pink Floyd
Animals

by DesolationRow USER (80 Reviews)
August 13th, 2005 | 27 replies

Release Date: 1977 | Tracklist

Pink Floyd- Animals

After two epic albums, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here, the members of Pink Floyd got back to work, releasing Animals in 1977. This 5 disc album is a metaphor in and of itself, relating the current British society to roles pertaining to the book Animal Farm. This may have been Pink Floyd's darkest album, with strange lyrics and attack on the different people. At the time, Roger Waters had been more controlling as the band's songwriter, and you can tell, as he sings the songs, and the mood is much darker. This 5-song epic, much like it's predecessor, doesn't include any filler, and every song has its own, unique sound. My overall rating is measured in :thumb:.

The band-

Roger Waters- Bass, vocals, lyrics
David Gilmour- Guitars
Rick Wright- Keyboards
Nick Mason- Drums

The album-

We start Animals with a soft, acoustic track by the name of Pigs on the Wing, Pt. I. This is the first section of a two part song. This song is not to be confused with Pigs (Three Different Ones) which comes later in the record. This peaceful song clocks in at just under a minute and a half. It's not so much a song as an introduction into the 3 main songs. It seems to be a predecessor to Mother from the Wall, in the soft acoustic guitar. There isn't much else to say for this little ditty. As an intro it gets a 4/5, but as a song it gets a 2/5.

Up next in the line up is possibly the best song on the album, and one of my favorite songs of all time. Dogs , which takes you on a 17 minute trip, starts with a creepy organ sound and no-frills acoustic riffs. Roger comes in singing about the government and how they lie about their image to win your trust. One of the best lyrics in the song, 'You have to be trusted by the people that you lied to, so that when they turn their backs on you, you get the chance to put the knife in' lets you know how dark the album is. After the first verse, following that lyric comes a great guitar solo, filled with some very skillful licks. Gilmour puts his chops to use for this song quite well. After some acoustic guitar for a minute or so, the electric solos come back in, with a spacey bassline and acoustic riffs in the background.

After that, the audio tracks of dogs barking can be heard barking, just to lead into another pretty electric solo comes in. After the screaming guitar, the keyboards and acoustic duke it out for attention before the bluesy breakdown vocals come in. Another great lyric catches my attention. 'And when you lose control you'll reap the harvest you have sewn. And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone.' Drum fills and and shuffle feeling guitar lines support the creepy lyrics about politicians being brought down by what got them into office in the first place.

The next part will be sure to get you zoned out. A 5 minute display of keyboard effects makes some really trippy noises and puts you deep into your sub-conscious. It's almost in another dimension. You feel like your floating while your listening to this. It's wild.

When the acoustic riff that started the song, comes back, the keyboards gently fade out when the voice comes back in. After the verses of awesome lyrics, the wild guitar comes back in with probably the best solo in the song. It pours a hint of wah in it, and comes back with the breakdown licks and the bluesy bassline. After some 3-dimensional ambient section, Roger sings the final lyrical verse with an attitude that only fits into a song about the government. The phrase, 'Dragged down by the stone' ends this 17 minute epic. No doubt it is a [5/5].

Kicking off the darker song, about the wealthy population is Pigs . The song shifts into drive with a fretless bassline and chilling keyboards in front of squealing pigs. At 12 minutes, it's slightly shorter the Dogs, but still awesome. After the guitar riffs crash in, Roger wails the dark, in-your-face lyrics and the bass and guitar duel with a bluesy riff. The lyrics are really attacking with phrases like 'Messed up, rat man. Haha, charade you are.' give the rich what they had coming. It might sound stupid, but the efficient use of a cowbell gives this song quite an edge in between the stop/start riffs.

The song changes with a bluesy guitar line, and a steady drum beat with some crazy effects thrown in here and there. Pigs squealing every now and then adds some contrast, and help prevent the song from losing it's hook. This ambient section was really cool.

Suddenly, the music just stops and the keyboards and menacing fretless bass come in again. This bassline is so cool! :cool: The guitar does it's thing for a bit before the in-your-face lyrics strike. After the cool as hell verse, the only guitar solo in the song strikes. This solo is t3h RoXoRZ!!! It just wails with emotion and kicks arse. I love it. This was one awesome song. [4.5/5]

Sheep is the probably Pink Floyd's most single-like song on this album. It's my least favorite of the three epic songs on the album, but it does manage to rock thoroughly. It kicks into gear with a hypnotizing synthesizer and the animal sounds of 'baaaaaa'. This track is about the mindless, working class society that do what they are told. After the minute of keyboards, the bass comes thumping in, humbly taking control of the song. Roger immediately follows with some attititude. 'Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away. Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.' Is the opening lyric. A slight problem that I have is that he holds the final note of the phrase for at least 15 seconds. It gets annoying. The shuffled riffs and solid drums help the effects shine in between the verses. ' Look what you get for pretending the danger's unreal' is the best attack I've ever heard in context of music.

An over-dubbed voice is heard in the ambient section before keyboards scream and the guitar gently sweeps through different licks while the bass holds the fort throughout the riffs. The music stops and the percussive bassline is rambling in the middle of a synthesized sandwitch. A really creepy effect-indulged voice chants a psalm from the bible and scares the crap out of you.

The verses come back and loop once more before a guitar riff repeats itself until it fades out. This song would be better if it was less repetitive. 10 minutes of the same thing finally gets boring with this song. Probably a 3.75/5 but I'll give it a [4/5]

The outro to the album, Pigs on the Wing, Pt. II . Is slightly better than it's twin. The voices are a bit higher and more upbeat. They mix well with the acoustic guitars. A nice, mellow outro to the album. I don't rate this a song, but simply an ending. A nice one too! As an ending [4/5] as a song, [2/5].

Album Pros
________________

+ Genius music
+ Guitar rocks
+ Keyboard lines are tasteful
+ Lyrics are unforgiving and awesome
+ Animal Farm rocks

Album Cons
_____________

-Ambient sections might get boring
- Might not appeal to everyone
- Repetitve
- Follow same structure for every song

Overall: Awesome album. It was their darkest, and their most creative concept. The music is genius, as well as the lyrics, but the ambient sections can get boring, as well as repetitive. People who don't like ambient sections should seriously keep away. I really enjoyed this album.

Grade: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I hope you enjoyed!!!

John Frusciante Inside of EmptinessThe Grateful Dead American Beauty
Holy Modal Rounders Indian War WhoopBedouin Soundclash Sounding A Mosaic
Del tha Funkee Homosapien Both Sides of the BrainLeo Kottke/Mike Gordon Sixty Six Steps

Iai

Real good review, man.

This actually seems to be the most popular Floyd album on MX, but I just can't get into it at all. I appreciate it, I just don't like it.

August 13th 2005

My fav. is WYWH. It's okay, but certainly not my favorite.
This Message Edited On 08.13.05

Rudd13
August 13th 2005

Great review. I love sheep.

eheh

I also enjoy track number four.
:naughty:This Message Edited On 08.13.05

masada
August 13th 2005

Nice review. Dark Side of the Moon is definately my favorite Pink Floyd album.

August 13th 2005

A mod likes my review.........that's a sigh of relief.

Iai

A mod? :confused:

Med57
August 13th 2005

I like it. Not my favourite Floyd album, but it's between 4 and 4.5 in my opinion. There's something wonderfully twisted about it.

Jawaharal

Dark Side Pwns this

anyways good review

3rdplanet
August 13th 2005

I love the lyrics you chose to quote. The lyrics are probably my favorite thing about this album, even though the music is top notch, they are better still.

Sepstrup
August 13th 2005

Yeah, this album seems to be overly praised on this site (and perhaps not praised enough outside of this side)... At the very best, it's my third favourite pink floyd album. Wish you were here and Dark side of the moon are better than this, IMO.

^That was me.

[quote=::Entwistle::]This 5 disc album is a metaphor in and of itself...[/quote]
I think you mean track.This Message Edited On 08.13.05

August 13th 2005

Thank you for correcting me, Scruples. ;) Sorry for stealing the spotlight on the album. Do I get a thumb? And wow, Iai isn't a mod. I am feeling smart tonight!!!

August 13th 2005

Hmm... I think you deserve a thumb, yes.

:thumb:

Iai doesn't have to be a mod. He's just cool like that.

August 13th 2005

I never knew he wasn't.....:upset:

August 13th 2005

It's okay, I still love you.

:-*

August 14th 2005

ummmm....okay? So, who else gives the thumb?

Knoxvillelives
August 26th 2005

WTF
Davey G sings Dogs, Roger sings all the others.
Lots of people get that wrong and I dont know why, they're voices are so different
A classic album, totally underrated

Knoxvillelives
August 26th 2005

To be honest, I hadnt heard the end of Dogs, the bit that Roger DOES sing, until like the fourth time I played it, I usually skipped past the 'stone...stone...stone' bit...after the eight minute (which even Floyd purists can admit is needlessly long).
Best lyric on the album, 'And its too late, to lose the weight...that you used to need to throw around.'

August 27th 2005

I'm sorry to tell you that Roger is blatantly singing Dogs. But in some instances, I get their voices confused. I used to think Roger sang Money. But maybe David sings the part where the lyrics say "I've got to admit, I'm a little bit confused." Ironic.

September 9th 2005

For the most part, I can't tell the two apart. For a while, I thought Comfortably Numb was just one person and only when someone told me, did I realize it was them both.