FACT
Fact

by Eli EMERITUS
August 11th, 2009 | 32 replies

Review Summary: FACT have created a very interesting and incredibly varied album with their self titled debut.

FACT are an interesting band. They come off as a Japanese "Slipknot" with their kabuki mask influenced image. However, the comparisons end there. In fact (haha), FACT are difficult to compare to any other band. They have rock, alt-rock, and electronic influences, and quicker than you can say "Linkin Park," they throw in some heavy metal.

Yes they are Japanese. Yes the lead singer has a slight accent. And no, this does not in any way ruin the album. If anything it adds even more color to an already very colorful record. Everyone else in the band is just as adequate too, crafting 16 average length songs. This may seem like a lot of music to digest, but each song is so incredibly catchy and diverse that listening isn't a chore at all.

Because of the sheer number of songs, I will only focus on the standouts. "A Fact of Life" is their first single, and a very impressive one at that. It's a very high energy song, and features more electronic influences than any other. If you have any interest in this band I would highly recommend this track. "Reborn" and "Rise" take the energy of the previously mentioned song and add even more to it. "Reborn" features some of the best instrumentals, even a wonderful guitar solo! And "Rise" is an outstanding choice for the closer, blending everything that was great about the album into one excellent song.

Yes it sounds like Im giving nothing but praise. Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting something this great from a Facebook add. Or maybe it's because FACT have actually created a truly unique and great piece of music.

But I feel I must present some of the cons of this album. With such a wide array of influences, the songs have almost no flow to them. The songs sound to distinct from one another. This isn't necessarily a complaint, but FACT will be difficult for many to digest. They are a very strange band needless to say. But for those willing enough, one of 2009's biggest surprises awaits.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns
Hunter Ramirez (4.5)
pop punk, alternative, rock, thrash metal, and breakbeat fans! UNITE!...

Adam Knott EMERITUS (4.5)
Wow....

August 11th 2009

Guys this isn't that good c'mon now.

Waior

Cue negative review!

August 11th 2009

Its not that good is probably correct. In time i will probably lower my rating, but for now it stays!

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

August 11th 2009

It doesn't deserve a negative review though. It has some enjoyable tracks but it's 15 tracks long (I don't count the remix), and
that makes the album way more of a "hit or miss" affair than it should be. It just balances out to a pretty alright album.

Waior

In your opinion.

August 11th 2009

In all honesty it's more of a 2.5, I never really make it past song 4 before I get tired of the album. Still, I don't really think it's inherently bad. Scattered and a bit unfocused? Yes. But not really bad.

ALBUM IS GREAT.

robertsona
August 11th 2009

what does 'inherently' mean in that context i'm not sure you're using it right

August 11th 2009

YOUR OVER-ENTHUSIASM IS SHOWING.

Inherent in that context means that "bad" would be a trait that is held throughout the entirety of the album, or a trait that is held
as part of the album/band's nature.

robertsona

oh alright

i'm not sure if i'll check out this album, but it sounds intriguing to say the least

August 11th 2009

SORRY, I HAD CAPSLOCK ON. I THINK YOU DO AS WELL.

August 11th 2009

Don't you question my knowledge of the English language sir.

I'd suggest downloading it and deleting the songs that you don't fancy, as the album's pretty much a grab-bag of different genres/styles.

August 11th 2009

the reason why i praise this album a lot is actually because of the high number of styles in it, which may turn some listeners off. it's just a fresh sound that i don't hear too often nowadays, and i must say, it sounds pretty darn nice.

August 11th 2009

I think it's a good starting point. If they take all the styles that worked on this album, did away with the things that didn't work, and focused on what they really excel at, their next album could be pretty great. I just don't think they have the technical ability (or the song writing ability) to do as much genre switching as they do now.

August 11th 2009

i can see how they might have put all their eggs in one basket. it almost comes off as if they only wanted to make one album in their career and then be done with it.

i have a very good feeling that they may calm down down for their next record and maybe focus solely on the rock aspect of music, regardless of what the global opinion of this record is. prolly wanted to showcase as much talent as possible for this debut.

bustyagunz
August 11th 2009

this album has some bright spots but wallets' assessment is dead on. even though these songs are short there are too many of them and many are no good at all.

August 11th 2009

I think it would be really interesting if they focused combining their exuberant energy in songs like Los Angeles with the heaviness they display on tracks like Chain, rather than having those aspects of their sound distinctly separate.

August 11th 2009

i suppose you make some good arguements, but the hectic mixture of styles is what makes this album appealing

November 2nd 2011

Whoa fuck first review.

Rev
November 2nd 2011

woah fuck

this album is pretty sweet