Behemoth
Evangelion

by Tyler Munro EMERITUS
August 11th, 2009 | 406 replies | 44,573 views

Review Summary: Behemoth do their best impersonation ov themselves.

For the last decade, or more specifically since they began their shift away from black and towards death metal, Behemoth have been a model ov consistency. Steadily improving since Inferno got behind the kit after the craptastic, blacktastic Grom, Behemoth arguably hit their stride on Demigod, the pummelling and hilariously layered album that pushed them into the forefront ov modern death metal. But even if you see Demigod as their peak, you can't ignore what comes next; like I said, a model ov consistency. If you're me, which you're not unless I'm reading this, Behemoth's consistency is also the biggest thing holding them back. As an aside and perhaps an exception that proves the rule, Nergal's vocals have at least become consistently less layered and, as a result, less cartoon-y, less hilarious and a hell ov a lot better. This started on The Apostasy and only improved on Evangelion.

Even when you look at the finer intricacies that separate Behemoth albums --whether it be looser structures or tighter production, throat-y yells or layered growls, Eastern-ish scales or muddy chugging-- the fact remains that these guys have been doing essentially the same thing since 1999's Satanica. Fans are going to eat it up, as will the casual death metal fans. Hell, even the supposed elitists will find something to like here. See, Evangelion is, from start to finish, pretty good. Pretty brutal, pretty melodic...pretty interchangeable. For that reason it becomes yet another volume in their almost bi-yearly assault. The song titles may be different, but we've still got V's for F's and Inferno still needs his ritalin. The resulting effect is we run out ov things to pin-point: there may be scales instead ov pinch harmonics, gravity blasts instead ov regular blasts, but the differences between Evangelion and The Apostasy and Satanica and Demigod are marginal at best. At worst, negligible. In the end, take Evangelion for a spin if you expect competency and adequacy. For what it's worth, it's worth at least a spin. For some, Evangelion may be the best thing Behemoth has done in their death metal incarnation, for some it might be the worst. Sadly, this has less to do with polarization and more to do with irrelevance. What you hear is what you get with Behemoth and for most people that's enough. Those looking for something a little more definitive might want to give Evangelion little more than a passing glance, but anyone aiming for nothing more than a healthy slice ov modern death metal would be foolish to pass this over.

Masked Intruder Masked IntruderAtheist Jupiter
Aeon Path of FireAdam Haworth Stephens We Live on Cliffs
Autopsy The Tomb WithinOrbs Asleep Next to Science

August 11th 2009

Quick informal write-up of another Behemoth album that sounds exactly like a Behemoth album; nothing more, nothing less.

Phantom

Oh hey this came out
l

August 11th 2009

I hope this review makes sense, I'm pretty out of it right now. Maybe not the best time to write, and it really only took me 5 minutes to write this, but whatever.

Phantom
August 11th 2009

Made sense to me. I might check this out when I've got more important albums out the way, it's hardly at the top of my list.

Liked the ov references.

FadeToBlack

made me lol

Review is great though, summed it up well

August 11th 2009

"As an aside" But yeah, this wasnt bad from what ive heard.

Digging: My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

August 11th 2009

why did you write 'as an aside'

Sabottheory
August 11th 2009

I completely agree with you.

devouredbymetal
August 11th 2009

nice release, good "eastern-ish" guitaring .. btw i think the track listing needs to be edited .. 2. "shemaforash" to "shemhamforash". nice review.

August 11th 2009

I dont get what it means.

August 11th 2009

It's just a side-note. Outside of what I was currently talking about (consistency), there's this sort-of-inconsistency. Basically it's another way of saying 'make note of this'.

ConorMichaelJoseph
August 11th 2009

Never got into Behemoth, where should I start?

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

nowhere tbh

Cerbyrus
August 11th 2009

awesome review ov this album

Wizard

19343 Comments

nowhere tbh

My opinion changed when I saw them live. Now I'm starting to like them a lot more.

ov hahaha. Great review for a short write-up.

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse

Thor

ov ov ov ov

XulOnerom
August 11th 2009

Zos Kia Cultus is their best. Start with that one. I still have to give this one a listen

jingledeath
August 11th 2009

haven't listened to that one but out ov the 3 I've listened to, I'd say this is their best

IsItLuck?

ov ftw

InHumanForm
August 11th 2009

This album is good. But Apostasy is their best IMO.