Drake
So Far Gone

by Alex Robertson STAFF
August 10th, 2009 | 95 replies | 19,355 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: So Far Gone, while not exactly exploring new depths, is an extremely enjoyable mixtape mixing mainstream R&B and Rap styles.

Has there been an artist in recent times that has risen as fast as biracial rapper-actor Drake (real name: Aubrey Graham)? Starting off starring in the show Degrassi: The Next Generation, Drake's rapping career shot off quickly after his third mixtape, So Far Gone, was released. His single “Best I Ever Had” reached number two on the Billboard Hot 100 without the backing of a label (since then, he was picked up by Lil Wayne's Young Money label). So, in a way, the burden of his popularity is put singularly on one mixtape, which can only do one thing: place unfair expectations on it. At least it helps that So Far Gone is an extremely enjoyable hybrid of mainstream rap and R&B, fronted by a charismatic artist who has an ample amount of musical potential.

In terms of technical skill, Drake still has long to go: although his voice is calming and pleasant, it sometimes seems as if the Auto-Tune is doing the singing for him. And his rapping...well, it's not perfect. Drake has a confident delivery but also occasionally subpar lyrics plague his easy flow, and it's evident in songs like “Ignorant ***,” one of the four songs featuring Lil Wayne, where Drake proclaims, “Always knew that I could figure / How to get these label heads to offer him good figures / And me doing the shows / Getting everyone nervous / 'cause them hipsters gonna have to get along with them hood niggas” (huh?). Still, even when fumbling with his lines, Drake makes it look good, and his fans will hardly notice any of his small missteps.

While Drake's most popular song by far has become “Best I Ever Had,” a sunny ode to an anonymous lover, he perfects his “adolescent love” formula with “Little Bit,” a “duet” with Lykke Li (in reality, her voice is sampled; he just croons over it). Despite the fact that the voice of Lykke Li is sampled, he works with her voice, not only duetting with her, but also letting her adorably young voice take the front stages at time. The simply lovely refrain (“I only think I'm a little bit in love with you,”) drives the song home, and makes the track one of the best on the mixtape.

Being a budding artist, Drake has an abundance of help here: Lil Wayne features on four tracks (and usually dominates Drake in terms of rapping) while other guests include Bun B, Trey Songz, and Omarion. Standout “Say What's Real” is also produced by Kanye West, and shows his skill, the minimalist drums and electronic beeps create a chilly atmosphere and enhance Drake's rapping, which is some of the most solid on the album. Sometimes, when left alone, Drake struggles a bit: late-album dud “Sooner than Later” shows Drake at his most musically vulnerable, warbling stereotypical lyrics about a neglected lover.

On So Far Gone, Drake constantly embraces new, 808's and Heartbreak-esque electronic production over any type of old-school hip-hop beats, which is not always a bad thing: it shows the kind of artist he is. Drake foreshadows the future of hip-hop, a techno-flavored mix of R&B and rap, a style that artists like Kanye West and Lil Wayne have warmed to. Even when he switches it up, Drake is successful: “Let's Call it Off” samples Peter Bjorn and John while retaining Drake's Auto-Tune-heavy R&B singing. While many fans of hip-hop don't necessarily see this as a positive change, if quality albums like this are being released in this style, the future of hip-hop may not be as bleak as we thought.

So Far Gone isn't going to change anyone's mind about the future of hip-hop, but for anyone who isn't predicting the Hip-Hop Armageddon, it's an extremely enjoyable album that manages to mix elements from all facets of mainstream radio without muddying up any of them in the process. The mixtape obviously has an audience, and anyone convinced that mainstream radio is The Ultimate Evil will not enjoy it. However, for those who are willing to sit back and enjoy the ride, this might be the mixtape you fall in love with, if only a Little Bit.

Teebs E S T A R ATabu Ley Rochereau The Voice of Lightness: Congo Classics 1961-1977
Julia Holter Loud City SongNara Leao Dez Anos Depois
Thelonious Monk Thelonious Monk TrioZahava Seewald and Michael Grebil From My Mother's House
3.3
Andrew Desjardin (2.5)
Drake's first mixtape is mostly hype, but there are still a few great tracks to be heard....

Bulldog (1)
Ew…this tastes bad…who threw a pinch of rap into the bubbling cauldron of pop and R&B?...

robertsona

if this was any other site i'd probably get 29423984932 views

August 10th 2009

i was hesitant about dude at first, but i'm liking it. i might pick this up. good review.

robertsona
August 10th 2009

to tell you the truth i can definitely see why people wouldnt like this but i like it soooo

August 10th 2009

any song i've heard wit him and lil wayne, i thought he dominated (couldn't tell you the song names, one went something like I'm goin in x4 and imma go hard x4 and im not sure if that's here)...he's definitely appealing but really only when he raps...

kingsoby1
August 10th 2009

Drake writes for weezy fyi.

He's definitely solid; I should listen to this more, but cats with the same taste as me don't think it's anything earth shaking.

August 10th 2009

Yeah Drake rules. I can't even look at him the same when I watch Degrassi, which I do because that show rules lol.

Digging: Sun Worship - Elder Giants

August 10th 2009

hahaha hell yeah man, i love degrassi

ive been home for the past week or so and im tivoing degrassi after not watching it during the school year, i happened to see some of the 2008 episodes and i was like who the hell are these people

August 10th 2009

that fucking indian girl is the most annoying bitch ever

August 10th 2009

dating that guy who helped kill JT

smh

August 10th 2009

she is the worst actress ever i want her to die irl

scyther
August 10th 2009

"Say Whats Real" and "Little Bit" are cool but for the most part this album is really generic, and his singing is so cheesy.

August 10th 2009

Dude Darcy's little sister is gonna turn into a giant fucking whore. I'm willing to bet money on that one lol.

i would so plow darcy

August 10th 2009

darcy is a supreme hottie yeah

August 10th 2009

Hell yeah I would too. Mia would get it too.

Fort23

This boy annoys me.

August 10th 2009

ellie was always the sexiest...was watchin marco get gay-bashed and shawn steal snake's laptop just an hour ago...bad ass...

August 11th 2009

Yeah I forgot about Ellie. I was thinking more of the people who are on the regulars now.

August 11th 2009

well if u only watched the movie ads you'd think it's still all the old characters...

fromtheinside
August 11th 2009

love it. love it. love it.
good review.