Jungle Rot
What Horrors Await

2.0
poor

by Jordan F. USER (21 Reviews)
August 10th, 2009 | 5 replies | 4,026 views

Review Summary: What Horrors Await indeed. Uninspiring mediocre death metal at best.

Here is another album stumbled upon because of the interesting artwork and claims of “great old school death metal”. “What Horrors Await” starts off with a decent track Worst Case Scenario but quickly goes downhill with The Unstoppable. The band’s sound does share some similarities with some classic death metal bands like Bolt Thrower and Entombed but imitating those great bands takes some skill. The first thing that really annoyed me about the band is their horrible lyrics. Take The Unstoppable for example has a ridiculous chorus: “You can't stop me, a rolling death machine, come on and stop me, psychotic murderer, you cannot stop me, I'm the unstoppable!” Not only are the lyrics atrocious but the vocals are extremely boring. Think Amon Amarth but not anywhere as much variation in pitches. The start of the song reminds me of some lame, half assed thrash metal song that turns into a slowed down, uninteresting slow motion stomp with those uninspired lyrics thrown over. It was enough of an embarrassment that the first time I heard this song in my car that I actually turned it down in disappointment and disgust. “What Horrors Await” indeed.

I normally wouldn’t criticize a death metal band for their lyrics; after all, most of their lyrics are not to be taken seriously in the first place. Many of the quality death metal bands can write interesting lyrics that have great imagery or are thought provoking in some way. This band can’t even write half interesting lyrics about war. Not only are the lyrics almost laughable, the delivery is wince inducing at times. One of the most memorable cringe inducing moments was during Two Faced : “How was I supposed to know, you were a, lying snake? Just when I had turned my back, you where there wielding a knife! Two faced- two faced disgrace!” I realize the band is not trying to be groundbreaking in any way but with lyrics like that you might as well write nu-metal.

The attempt to rhyme the lyrics is hilarious for example on Speak the Truth there is the though provoking “You've lied to me, your final lie, Not giving in, not gonna cry“What, The, Hell? Do they want to sound like a joke? Then on “Exit Wounds” which features some Pantera-esque riffs and grooves with some of most stupid lines and vocals on the album. The production is not a huge problem but it sounds a little too clean for a “classic” sound. To top this off a lot of the riffs sound recycled from previous songs. There are not many solos to look forward to either and the ones that do show up are not even worth mentioning. Some of the songs display some pretty nice drumming but that is about the only positive I can really give this album. They cover “Invincible Force” by Destruction and do not utterly fail; it is a huge step above from their own material. Even if the lyrics and vocals do not turn you away from this band, the boring, uninspired songwriting will.

There is no reason to settle for this less than mediocre album when you could be listening to actual classic death metal like Dismember, Bolt Thrower and Morbid Angel. Although not completely rooted in classic death metal, bands like Gorod, Ulcerate, Fleshgod Apocalypse and Behemoth all have releases this year that are miles ahead of this album. I would recommend Hail of Bullets release from last year, “Of Frost and War”, if you really need a taste of new “classic” death metal.

Agents Of Abhorrence Earth.Water.SunJucifer Throned In Blood
Ufomammut EveHowl Full of Hell
Coffinworm When All Became NoneHatred Surge Deconstruct

FistfulOfSteel
August 10th 2009

good review, wont be checking this out though.

SCREAM!
August 10th 2009

Ok review but you spend too much time with the lyrics. You spend more time talking about those then the actual music and on a death metal album the music is really the important part.

Digging: Old Witch - Come Mourning Come

Bleekill
August 10th 2009

I realize I talk a lot about the lyrics but if you hear the vocalists delivery of the lyrics it just ruins the whole thing. Its the lyrics/vocals combo really.They use a simple scheme most of the time which, too me makes no sense in death metal. Like rhyming cry with die, what the fuck are they in kindergarten? With most death metal bands it can be pretty hard to tell what they are saying but this band makes the vocals very prominent in the mix. So then I'm forced to suffer through hearing these extremely juvenile and cheesy lines. If they delivered the vocals faster or used some different pitches maybe I wouldn't mind or notice the lyrics as much. I don't know maybe I care about lyrics too much, I enjoy having thought provoking lyrics. Metal in general can create some really great imagery or stories with the lyrics, that's one of the reasons I love it. I mean think of some of the best classic death metal albums... Left Hand Path, Altars of Madness, Like An Everflowing Stream, Realm of Chaos ect...take a listen at the way they use their vocals. Look at their lyrics. Then compare to this.

There isn't really much to talk about with the music, it's all pretty simple and bland. They attempt a few Bolt Thrower style slow, heavy riffs but it's nothing special. A lot of it is like groove metal with bad death metal vocals over it. I guess I could go back and write more in about the music but I'm pretty much done with this boring album.

axeman_matt
December 3rd 2009

I agree with scream about the review.

I don't mind a few songs on this album but I went into it with groove metal in mind anyway so I'm not really comparing it to other death.

Reminds me a bit of obituary tho..

Adockalypse
June 29th 2011

I was wondering if this was any good. Guess not.