The Weepies
Hideaway

by Caleb McAlpine USER (108 Reviews)
August 8th, 2009 | 22 replies | 7,635 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Weepies' unmistakable tendency to self-cannabilize is finally outweighed by their ability to make faultless folk-pop.

Husband and wife duo Deb Talan and Steve Tannen were never under-equipped in terms of potentiality and their capacity to make hook-laden folk-pop songs, but their uncanny proclivity to self-plagiarize hemorrhaged their listenability: their sophomore release 'Say I Am You' was a testament to said fact. In a deplorable case of monotony, 'Say I Am You' provided thirteen picture-perfect tunes that all sounded completely alike. However, with their most recent release - Hideaway - the two have taken their compositions into much broader and diverse territory; Tannen seems to have discovered a 'Let's Play Jazz Chords!' music theory book and exercises his warm voice more often than previously; Talan progresses equally by tweaking her strikingly memorable melodies to fit with the much improved song structures. While cuts that would've fit in benignly on 'Say I Am You' are still present in songs such as the languid 'How You Survived the War' and the jovial 'All This Beauty' ("All this beauty, you might have to close your eyes"), they are tastefully littered around songs that do not sound exactly the same, drastically improving the listenability of 'Hideaway'.

Opener 'Can't Go Back Now' highlights Tannen's new-found comfortability at the helm of vocal delivery whilst 'Wish I Could Forget' exemplifies his newly honed, lighthearted jazz-blues structures (the wonders of a few minor seventh and ninth chords are astounding). Vocally, both Tannen and Talan outpour their most accomplished effort to date, expanding their repertoire to include vocal layering and somehow improved harmonies (how do you improve perfection? Ask the Weepies!) while decidedly keeping their trademark catchiness fully intact. The always-happy poppycock and balderdash present on 'Say I Am You' has also been disposed of; 'Hideaway' isn't wholly somber - there are some very clear life-celebratory songs - but tunes like 'Little Bird' and 'Orbiting' keep the record from being asphyxiatingly cute, making the album as a whole much more digestible. Regardless of what you're doing or where you're at - rinsing the dishes, watching a CSI marathon - any given song on 'Hideaway' is applicable to your mood. 'Hideaway' is a record that works just as well when listening to one or two select songs from it as it does when listening to the album as a whole -- something none of the The Weepies' back catalogue can be accredited to. For all their efforts, the married duo warrants my complete praise: thanks for the brilliant album! Oh, and congrats on your baby!

The Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark ValleyDan Mangan Oh Fortune

The Hunting Party

AM

Reflektor

August 8th 2009

This is pretty short but I really couldn't think of how to expand it. It's less bloated than my usual reviews though, so I guess that's good? Yeah. Whilst.

Also, Sputnik's home page seems to be having an aneurysm. Anybody else getting that?

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

sounds pretty cool just wish their band name wasn't so gay

August 8th 2009

I don't know if you would like this but you would like this because it's impossible not to like this, k.

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

but would i listen to this

joshuatree
August 8th 2009

besides the usage of 'whilst' and 'self-cannibalize' this is one of your better reviews yet, also might check this out

proclivity

August 9th 2009

I'm going to remain stubborn on the 'whilst', joshuatree, but is there a word that would be a better choice instead of 'self-cannibalize'?

djdorama. The review is clearly art. The word proclivity is equivocally warranted.

Trickster, probably not.

August 9th 2009

btw ive been cravin some wistful indie pop so im gonna get this

nice review pos'd

August 9th 2009

Thanks, thanks. Pretty positive you'd enjoy this (maybe not as much as I did, I have slight emotional connection). Come back with rating/opinion some time.

August 9th 2009

i've gotta get home in two weeks and i'll probably get this first thing

sounds like something i'd dig though sometimes this stuff seems a little corny but

i loved the juno soundtrack and this sounds like it'd fit right in sooooo haha

Douglas
August 9th 2009

Album art makes me wanna check this out

August 9th 2009

You'd like this, Dougie. Get it.

Douglas

It's on the list!

Roach

Good review. Pos'd.

wens
September 30th 2009

I agree with your praise of this album, however I don't hear that much of a change of direction from the earlier albums.

September 30th 2009

Haha, I just can't please you, can I?

bears
October 21st 2009

Its so... NICE...!

But nothing pulls me back for more.

DiceMan

This is good.

November 3rd 2009

Musical equivalent of benevolence.

Roach
November 3rd 2009

It's when you say things like that I just don't know.