The Weepies
Say I Am You

good

by Caleb McAlpine USER (109 Reviews)
August 4th, 2009 | 44 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Too much of a good thing.

Whilst strolling nonchalantly through a teemingly overcrowded public mall - something you do on the frequent; squandering your nickels and dimes on overpriced paraphernalia and materialistic miscellanea - something extraordinary catches your eye: looming behind an ostentatious glass wall is a designer dress shirt; pale pink in color and glittering with scintillating rhinestones. You immediately began to imagine yourself in said shirt; picturing how svelte your flourishing torso would look in pink, how ravishing your beguiling forearms would appear and how every time you turn your chiseled body, the reflection of your sparkling rhinestones would reflect beautifully in the eyes of passing young women, forever endearing them to your boyish charms and infectious personality. Obviously, you're in love with the shirt (obviously, you're a bit of a nutcase). You don't make the purchase that day and instead go home to tell everybody about the shirt you have fallen so dearly in love with. Soon comes Christmas morning and with it comes eggnog, mistletoe and of course, Christmas gifts. What did you get? Predictably, your friends and family all bought you the pink dress shirt. Awesome, right? No. Now every morning you wake, no matter what your mood, you open a closet to find the same freaking shirt on every single hanger. You have a closet full of glittery pink shirts. You moron.

The Weepie's sophomore release 'Say I Am You' is a closet full of glittery pink shirts. While the shirts are indubitably - in your superior opinion - really quite stunning, it's common sense that you surely don't need a closet full of them. Similarly, 'Say I Am You' is akin to listening to one incredibly catchy folk-pop song on repeat for forty minutes; an album full of delightful and benign indie songs and nothing more.

The Weepies are compromised solely of husband and wife duo Deb Talan and Steve Tannen, who essentially create perfect folk-pop music in it's purest form. Talan's voice is possibly one of the smoothest and sweetest voices I have ever heard, melding deliciously with her husband's Andrew Smith-esque tone throughout the record, weaving out of fluid and comfortable harmonies repeatedly through ridiculously catchy songs like 'Take It From Me' and 'Painting by Chagall'. Instrumentally, 'Say I Am You' is full of folk-rock staples: acoustic guitar, piano, church-drumming and the works provide the ample backdrop to the couple's melodies and it works just fine. The problem with 'Say I Am You' lies within - as previously mentioned - in the fact that while every song on the record is great, every song on the record is basically the same. There's only so many times you can hear the same chord progression and catchy melody line over and over again before you get ridiculously bored. By the third song 'World Spins Madly On', their niche is already growing tired and the listener is already getting distracted by petty things in their surroundings (television, kittens, carpet fibers). Wearing the same awesome shirt for your entire life gets boring quickly, as sitting through forty minutes of cutesy pop-folk gets tiring when there's no variation at all. 'Say I Am You' is more suited to be six-song EP as a precursor to bigger, better things but instead acts as a drawn-out overexposure of cuteness.

For those satisfied with a bowl of stale oatmeal every morning, or for those excited by the prospect of wearing the same outfit every day like so many of children's cartoon characters do, you won't be bothered by the inane amount of repetition on 'Say I Am You', but if you find yourself wanting more than repetition, this is not the place to look.

Anberlin LowbornThe Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark Valley
Dan Mangan Oh FortuneThe Decemberists Long Live the King
The Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & MelodyAntoine Dufour Convergences

Meh.

Knott-
August 4th 2009

wtf is that first sentence haha, it almost refuses to end!

the analogy is arguably the best review intro i've ever read. props.

i have a strange urge to check this out; listed.

August 4th 2009

Haha, yeah, it's a bit of a ridiculous sentence. And thank you, that high of praise from Adam Knott is almost asphyxiatingly flattering. I suppose I've come a long way from "HEY GUYZ IM GOING TO COMPARE THIS TO OATMEAL, K.", haha.

Yeah, check out their latest one 'Hideaway'. It's better, I'll be reviewing it soon.

PuddlesPuddles
August 4th 2009

My girlfriend loves the Weepies. Should I start listening?

gaslightanthem

The Creepies.

CompanionCube
August 4th 2009

hey guys i saw the bestest pink shirt eveer at the mall today

kingsoby1
August 4th 2009

opening the review with "whilst" makes me want to not read it.

scyther
August 4th 2009

That word was specifically designed for distinguished Englishmen.

August 4th 2009

opening the review with "whilst" makes me want to not read it.

Funny thing, you once complimented a review of mine by saying "at least you didn't say whilst this time". Ever since you've said that, I've had the word "whilst" in every single review I've written. Just for you!

Puddle, try their Hideaway album. They do what they do well, just that's all they do.

joshuatree
August 4th 2009

why say while when there can be a 'st' on the end

why say 'while' when you can irritate Sobhi

Knott-
August 4th 2009

whilst is just a more literary and/or formal way of saying while, outside of US usage. word is fine.

timbo8
August 4th 2009

Maybe a little overboard with the analogy, but still a nice review, I pos'd. I like the Weepies' sound, but like you said, I haven't gotten into them too much because of their repetitive formula.

August 4th 2009

Maybe a little overboard with the analogy

I'm aware of that, but I figured that the review is a) not a new release and b) not hugely exposed so that I could mess around a bit.

Ghost negger, reveal yourself.

PuddlesPuddles
August 5th 2009

Thas BS. Excuse a review for trying to be a little entertaining.

Also is this the first neg you ever received?

August 5th 2009

Haha, no. My The Chariot review has 3/6 and my The Devil Wears Prada has 25/36. The He Is Legend and Hawk Nelson reviews have all also received negs.

The irony is, each one of those is a negative review.

robertsona
August 5th 2009

say i am you sounds like something i'd name an album

pos'd you write nice reviews

kingsoby1
August 5th 2009

what? this really has nothing to do with US usage. it screams "i'm meandering in my review and pretending it's a piece of art". it's stupid. do you see staff use it really?

StreetlightRock
August 5th 2009

Soby is right all my reviews are pieces of art and I dont use the word whilst.

On topic if every song here was as good as the two openers it'd be phenomenal. But they arn't and this isn't.

August 5th 2009

That's definitely my intention, I'm bewildered that you saw through my pompous facade! If you're turned off by a review because of a word you find to be pretentious then I don't understand how you can ever make it through a DFelon review. Using the word "whilst" shouldn't warrant such a response against it.