Modest Mouse
No One's First, and You're Next

by Adam Thomas STAFF
July 29th, 2009 | 111 replies

Review Summary: B-sides that sound better on the A side.

Ever since signing with Sony for the release of 2000's The Moon & Antarctica, commercially, Modest Mouse have been on the up and up. "Gravity Rides Everything" was in a Nissan commercial, "Float On" got too damn popular for it's own good (can someone say Kidz Bop?!?!), and "Dashboard" brought out the inner hipster in middle aged parents nationwide. While it's always nice to see a band that deserves it make it to the top, Modest Mouse seemed to lose that depressing but oh so endearing existential angst and dense sonic exploration that built their loyal fan base. This is funny to mention, because with their latest release No One's First and You're Next they've managed to outshine a large portion of their recent material with just a few B-sides. While No One's First and You're Next isn't a stylistic regression back to their early years, what it does is combine the overall attitude of past Modest Mouse favorites with their new bouncier, more singles oriented sound.

Tracks like "Autumn Beds" and "Satellite Skin" sound like the softer moments of We Were Dead and Good News respectively. While some die-hards look down on the lack of edge in fellow songs like "Little Motels", both are prime examples of the non-threatening side of Isaac Brock's song writing. Especially "Autumn Beds, with it's candy coated vocal delivery and ridiculously addictive sing along chorus. "Whale Song" recalls the dense atmospherics and moody swing that made tracks like "Cowboy Dan" and "Stars are Projectors" fan favorites. Its building baseline roars into a cathartic release of jarring notes, accented with just the right amount of Isaac's trademark tremolo, that boom over a wall of swelling effects in one of the finest moments in Modest Mouse's discography. Modest Mouse even expand on the hints of bayou influence and Tom Waits worship that ran through Good News For People Who Like Bad News with the brooding horns of "King Rat" and the jangly instrumentation and raucous vocalizations on "Perpetual Motion Machine". The EP's closer, "I've Got It All(Most)", is the closest thing to the classic Modest Mouse sound to be released in years, especially with lyrics like "I've got it all almost all figured out/But always when I get there/Always when I get there all the pieces they just fall apart." It begs to be placed in a mix tape right in between "Trailer Trash" and "Polar Opposites".

It's no surprise that No One's First and You're Next is such a quality release. The last two B-Sides and rarities compilations put out by the Issaquah, Washington, indie superstars, Building Something Out of Nothing and Everywhere And His Nasty Parlor Tricks, contained some of their best songs and No One's First... definitely follows the trend.

Weezer Everything Will Be Alright in the EndYOB Clearing The Path To Ascend
United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Rationalist (4.5)
"How can someone so inconsistent mess up so consistently?” I'd rather know how someone so consiste...

Eric (4)
Don’t be turned off by the description for this album of “B-Sides." The material on No One's F...

streaming @ http://www.myspace.com/modestmouse

modest mouse are fantastic

seemed to loose that

Bleak
July 29th 2009

Great review. Album is definitely in my top 3 of the year.

PanasonicYouth

great review.
amazing compilation by far.

thanks. fixed.

PanasonicYouth

damn you chan.

Knott-
July 29th 2009

i still don't have anything by this band :!

great review. i think it would LOOK better if you split paras after discography but it's top-notch writing and it's convinced me to remind myself to hear these guys for like the millionth time.

July 29th 2009

get on that. everything points to you liking them, especially their first few albums.

20857 Comments

Good to-the-point review Adam.

As most can guess, I preferred the more mainstream-leaning last couple of albums from these guys. However, there were clear hints of genius on their early releases. The fact you say there is some "combining" on this album is promising.

July 29th 2009

how could you possibly prefer their newer releases to their old stuff? i mean the new is okay but their early releases are something else

20857 Comments

Because I prefer more mainstream music. Like I said, there is some genius on their early releases, but some of the screaming and track lengths just don't do it for me personally. I still rate them quite highly by the way.

July 29th 2009

i don't see how track lengths can be a drawback

umm truckers atlas

July 29th 2009

could have done without the last six minutes yes but as a whole the track lengths do not take away anything from the records. i was making quite a general statement

Bleak
July 30th 2009

Yeah Trucker's Atlas seems like it lasts 30 minutes.

20857 Comments

"could have done without the last six minutes yes but as a whole the track lengths do not take away anything from the records."

Hmmmm. I think you just answered your own question.

Plus, my time is precious! ;-)

July 30th 2009

Plus, my time is precious!

so then why do you spend it on here? perplexed...

For the money.

Oh darn, I forgot that us contributing reviewers weren't supposed to say anything about our wages. Ooops, how do I edit it out?

MentalityOfA
July 30th 2009

Hardly a review in my opinion, but good nonetheless.