Dahlia's Tear
My Rotten Spirit Of Black

by fireaboveicebelow USER (108 Reviews)
July 29th, 2009 | 18 replies | 4,813 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Just imagine the idea of making dark ambient darker...so exciting. With this second release, Dahlia’s Tear engage this concept in a most sinister and provocative fashion while simultaneously branching off in a fairly different direction than the debut. My Rotten Spirit Of Black is similar to Harmonious Euphonies in that what is incorporated as far as methods of arrangements are unchanged. However, what makes it stand far apart is its incorporation of said methods in persistence towards a much more disturbing forum. Between each clutter of banging metal and shriek of pain, Dahlia’s Tear still makes you feel each and every inch of sound.

My Rotten Spirit Of Black appears to be a loosely conceptual record about being haunted, utterly alone, suicide, and the darkness and horrors of the afterlife. Placing this concept along with each track helps to differentiate the impacts of each song, also rendering the imagination of the concept all the more foreboding. In ambient music it is important to be able to separate yourself from any contemporary, and this record does so with the very obvious and incredibly involved method of dynamic. How loud a sound is, which instrument you use for this part, and countless other things come to mind. While these things can take extensive care to undertake, Dahlia’s Tear seems to understand restraint towards over-analyzation and when to let certain sections flow as you had first written them. This natural process of composition is vital in producing unique and more personal pieces, and with the awareness of creating something this unsettling just makes it a more cohesive listen.

While Dahlia’s Tear has successfully progressed in multiple ways from the debut, there is still the issue of repetition of instruments, which allows certain areas to clutter. While moving the main progression of keys and strings to the front of the mix creates a much more abrasive character, the use of different methods of harmonies or dissonances within the implementation of unheard instruments or sounds would have made the record as a whole all the more interesting. Nonetheless, My Rotten Spirit Of Black is a welcomed step towards wherever this act is treading, and the infinitely dismal indication of this record allows one to assume future releases will be even more involved, blackened, and comprehensive.

Thrice Major/MinorMournful Congregation The Book of Kings
Blut Aus Nord 777 - Sect(s)Nightwish Imaginaerum
Tom Waits Bad As MeDevin Townsend Project Ghost

Wizard

19215 Comments

Nice review, I still need to check out the other album you reviewed from them.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

July 29th 2009

best played at night really really loud

July 29th 2009

Most dark ambient is too pretentious and overly long, but I love it nonetheless. I hope bands in the future can venture out a little bit and experiment like Ulver. Good review sire.

R6Rider

interesting

Digging: Rort - Warpath

2087 Comments

have yet to listen to this one

July 29th 2009

maybe you should review Under Seven Skies since you probably have more to say about it than me, plus then people won't think it's just some band only I like

eww writing

July 29th 2009

I'm going to assume you haven't reviewed before

2087 Comments

i have on a different account

once

July 29th 2009

Have you checked out Dimness Through Infinity? It's this same guy but doing atmospheric doom metal

2087 Comments

not yet but getting on that shit now

July 29th 2009

I was going to review that next unless you want to

2087 Comments

i dunno i'm not much of a writer i just usually use this site for recs

July 30th 2009

Nice review. How did I not have my last.fm account spammed until I read it and checked out the band?

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

July 30th 2009

because I rarely talk to you?

YOU DON'T CALL ME ANYMORE

July 30th 2009

Uh, I lost your number... and... my phone broke?

July 30th 2009

that's what you said the last time by the way moonspell and samael are touring together I'm so stoked

July 30th 2009

Yeah, my phones all break real easy.... I didn't know they were touring together. I bet Samael's new albums sounds a lot better live than the CD does.