Pink Floyd
Echoes

by DesolationRow USER (80 Reviews)
August 9th, 2005 | 37 replies | 17,041 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Pink Floyd- Echoes (Greatest Hits)

Pink Floyd, originally founded by Syd Barrett and George Roger Waters as The Pink Floyd Sound. Soon after, they dropped the last word of the name to become The Pink Floyd, and soon just Pink Floyd. Roger explains the name of the band as being two blues artists in Sydís collection. After 2 albums, Syd became ill with schizophrenia and was replaced with David Gilmour. Thatís when the music took a big turn. Without further a due, I would like to expose my true feelings of this collection. If there is a greatest hits album that the world didnít have to see, this would be it. I am ashamed of this CD in different ways. Sure, there are some amazing songs on the set, but there are a number of things wrong with the CDís. The career of Pink Floyd cannot be summed up into 26 songs. This review will be done in a two section summary (one for each disc) as well as an overall synopsis and pros/cons. Iím sure you know my ratings by now (the :thumb: which ratings correspond to Sputnikís star system.)

Echoes Disc 1
____________

The first disc, while containing exceptional music, lacks the magical concepts and stories that have made every Floyd album an instant legend. The songs here are not as much their best songs, as much as songs that covered the entire span of their career. Unlike the previous reviewer, I am a fan of Syd Barrett, so you donít have to worry about bias and me calling every track from ĎPiperí stoner music. Anyways The first track, Astronomy Domine, is a personal Syd-era favorite of mine, with playful lyrics such as ďLime and Limpid Green" and mellow, innocent music. See Emily Play is another Syd-era track, but I donít like it as much as itís predecessor. Here comes a span of latter-day music. The spree kicks off with the infamous helicopter blades and screaming of Happiest Days of Our Lives, the famous prequel to Another Brick in the Wall Pt. II. This is the song that everybody, fan or not, seems to know. With itís incendiary anthem-like chorus of ďWe donít need no education" and bebop disco grooves, to itís magical guitar solo, this song was a legend in itís own time. The longest song here, Echoes is next with a little surprise that disappoints me. The 23 minute epic was cut back nearly 7 minutes due to lack of space. This song, in and of itself, is pure, raw, and amazing. Up next, is the Wallís Hey You, a fretless bass driven song with calm vocals and eerie guitar interludes, only to end on one of the more bizarre lyrics. Marooned is filler, as is my opinion on most of the Division Bell. I couldíve been happier with a full length Echoes and having this gone. Great Gig in the Sky was possibly the most surreal track on Dark Side of the Moon, with itís hypnotic keyboards and vocal solo, courtesy of Claire Torry. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun seems to be the official ďWaters-dictated" song on the CD. Money doesnít need an introduction (clichť and contradictory, I know). From the raunchy bass, to the poppy sax and wailing guitar, this song is packed with haunting lyrics of one of the seven deadly sins- greed. After another post- Roger song, the only (and my least favorite) song off Animals, Sheep comes in. With itís percussive bassline and organic keys, to Roger holding out notes for well over 10 seconds, this song is probably the most ďmainstream" song off the album. Sorrow, a mellow track from Momentary lapse of reason, ends the first disc.

Pros
_______

+ Musicianship is exceptionally simplistic and blissful
+ Guitar work is magnificent
+ Rick Wright is awesome

Cons
________

- Echoes cut short
- Filler tracks
- Not necessarily best songs, just covers entire career
- Division Bell isnít good
- Only one Animals track

Rating (musically): :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Rating on Concept (or lack of): :thumb: :thumb: and Ĺ

Echoes- Disc 2
_____________

Well, this is probably the better of the two discs, but that isnít exactly saying much. The album kicks off with two amazing songs, Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Time. Both are personal Floyd favorites with the screaming guitar solos and bebop saxes on the earlier, and the growling bass riff and in-your-face melodies of Time. The next song, Fletcher Memorial Home is Roger Watersí dictated tribute to his recently passed on father. The song is so depressing itís not funny. If you are in a bad mood, I highly suggest you hit skip. Rogerís voice is deep and gloomy, while basic piano supports the lyrics. Not a highly recommended track. Comfortably Numb is another fanboy song, with lyrics of drug abuse and two beautiful guitar solos. When the Tigers Broke Free is yet another filler track but leads into the menacing dueling basses of One of These Days. Another gem from Meddle, this instrumental is pretty creepy, but awesome. Us and Them is a pretty ditty from Dark Side, with a cheerful feel, and a sax that just makes the song flow. Learning to Fly is one of the few post-Watersí gems and Arnold Layne, the bands first single ever, is pretty creepy. Itís about a cross dresser who steals womenís clothing. Not a song youíd expect Syd to write (maybe, now that heĎs schizo). Wish You Were Here is probably one of the more popular Floyd songs, with gentle acoustic licks and heartfelt lyrics about the bandís founder and former mastermind, Barrett. Jugband Blues is probably the most playful Saucerful of Secrets song. The opening lyric is awesome. ďItís awfully considerate of you to think of me here, and Iím most obliged to you for making it clear that Iím not here." Cool, eh? High Hopes is but another Division Bell song (sorry, but I just canít seem to like DB) and lacks the force that the previous line-up had. The finale, Bike is a charmer with warm, playful lyrics. I love this song because itís melody is so simplistic and catchy. ďI know a mouse, and he hasnít got a house. I donít know why I call him Gerald." Itís an all around jokey song with a fun ending.

Rating (musically): :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: and Ĺ

Rating on Concept or originality: :thumb: :thumb: and Ĺ

Pros
______

+ Great Music
+ Songs from both great eras
+ Bike rocks

Cons
______

- No magical concepts
- Filler tracks
- Post-Watersí Floyd wasnít as good
- Floydís genius doesnít fit into 26 songs

Overall: The music and songs are sure amazing. But I would much rather spend $60 more to buy a box set. The songs range from great to horrible on this CD. Part of the genius of Pink Floyd was the creative concepts that told the stories within their songs. Having a greatest hits of Floyd doesnít exactly capture the essence that makes them so unique. So while the music is there, the magic isnít. [3/5]

John Frusciante Inside of EmptinessThe Grateful Dead American Beauty
Holy Modal Rounders Indian War WhoopBedouin Soundclash Sounding A Mosaic
Del tha Funkee Homosapien Both Sides of the BrainLeo Kottke/Mike Gordon Sixty Six Steps
mark sammut (3.5)
A small window teasing a vast universe...

temporary (3)

SilentPsycho (0)

NEDM

Effing great review Drew. Thumby factor = :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

P.S. - Thats my format you said I copied last night jackass This Message Edited On 08.09.05

Rudd13

Great review. d00dThis Message Edited On 08.09.05

NEDM

Owned Drew... owned

August 9th 2005

How did I expect that from you two?

And I created the chronological order/thumb scale, so don't even try to make me look stupid, because you'll just fail miserably to the facts!!!This Message Edited On 08.09.05

Rudd13

vote for Entwistle!This Message Edited On 08.09.05

robo2448
August 9th 2005

Great review. Good idea to point out that Pink Floyd cannot be summed up in a greatest hits, no matter how great the songs on there are, you need to hear the full studio albums to understand their concepts. Great job.

masada
August 9th 2005

Put quotes around the song titles.

August 9th 2005

Robo, did you vote? And thank you.........for not spamming my review.

EdwardTheGreat
August 10th 2005

A good review, but I've goit a question. In some places I've seen Shine On You... go up to 9 parts, but only 1-7 is here. Why? And are they seperate songs that link together, or just a song that can be broken up?

Captain_HumpYourFace
August 10th 2005

Great review of an album that I can't stand. I'm not a big Pink Floyd fan to begin with but I always felt that their songs just come off worse on a greatest hits album.

I know that sounds pretty stupid but I think that every album just stands on it's own and trying to mesh a bunch of songs together from different eras just didn't work well for me. If anything it made them seem very boring and never really created a mood like their actual albums do.

But as I said, excellent review.

Jim
August 11th 2005

The best review I've read in yonks. Unbiased, objective, and totally true.

It would be very hard to sum up all of Pink Floyd's succes in one two-disc "best of". I enjoy listening to this, but it simply doesn't have the same magic (perfect word) that is evident when listening to one of their albums.

This is a review and a half! :thumb:

temporary
August 15th 2005

Wow, great review! Certainly a lot better than mine. :p

August 15th 2005

Sorry, Obi........

Knoxvillelives
August 30th 2005

A good greatest hits, I like the way it stays true to the Floyd's tendency to segue tracks together. Good span of their career, but a bit too much of Syd (lose Jugband Blues for something else off The Wall or Animals) and Bell (Learning to Fly should have been dropped for anything off the brilliant Animals) eras, more of Animals needed me thinks.
Overall, a good spread, which is well worth getting.

spanna
November 13th 2005

ah this cd got me into floyd so i can say no bad words against it. its not such a great album in the floydy magicy sense, but its good to listen to in the car and sing along! heh

ChrisD
December 19th 2005

Pink Floyd are so amazing.This album is missing some key cuts however....most notably off of "The Wall".

Sepstrup
December 19th 2005

The idea of a Pink Floyd greatest hits doesn't appeal to me. The CD's should be listened to seperately. In fact, greatest hits records do not appeal to me in general.

Digging: How to Dress Well - What Is This Heart?

pulseczar
December 19th 2005

The fact that they butchered Echoes is enough proof for me that this is a waste of money.

masada
December 19th 2005

Anyone who wants to get into Pink Floyd should just get Dark Side of the Moon, not a haphazard, probably expensive compilatiion.

Jawaharal
December 19th 2005

I think I got this before Dark Side back in the day. I don't understand all the hatin'. I like this complitation alot.