Rx Bandits
Mandala

by Bandido USER (9 Reviews)
July 22nd, 2009 | 28 replies | 5,870 views

Review Summary: The RX Bandits paint a masterpiece as a four-piece band with their sixth studio album, Mandala. Every member shines on it and showcases the band in a new, progressive, heavier light.

What I love about RX Bandits is they treat music for what it really is: art. If the Bandits’ albums were portraits, the songs are body parts. Each body part is carefully painted and the band recognizes that each one is as important as the next to the overall painting. On their latest release Mandala, the RX Bandits paint, maybe not the Mona Lisa, but something very close to it.

Since the band’s evolution on 2003’s The Resignation, they have created three superb albums, all of which slowly abandoned their third wave ska sound they emerged onto the scene with in the ‘90’s. On …And the Battle Begun, the horns were pretty scarce but nonetheless a piece of the band. Now, on Mandala they are no longer (for the most part). On this album the band is a four-piece and more progressive than ever. Each member displays their excellent musicianship in a full-frontal fashion, letting the listener know that no riff is too complex, and no time signature, tempo change or genre change is beyond their reach. However, at times the band shines the brightest when they let the instruments take a backseat to the melodies and lyrics Matt Embree has the ability to write.

For example, the opener “My Lonesome Only Friend” starts off with one of the most pivotal aspects of the album; keyboards. It slowly builds up with some small guitar riffage and Matt singing quietly before it explodes into arguably the catchiest chorus they have written in a long time. A little more than half-way through the song Steve and Matt trade off guitar solo bits, before they slide into a dually-played, slinky riff, and back into the chorus. This is one of the highlight songs on Mandala and partially so because the band never reaches too far to make it one.

Following the terrific album opener is “…It’s Only Another Parsec”. Again the song starts out with a pretty funky keyboard riff that would fit right in with a Dream Theater album. The band joins in with Matt striking over the keyboards with some ska chords, and the band once again explodes into a rocking riff. A strong melody is present again and the band jams some more half-way through with both guitarists playing off each other. They also experiment with some voice modulation very briefly, but it makes the track all the better.

"Hope Is a Butterfly, No Net Its Captor" and "Hearts That Hanker For Mistake" are both very progressive tracks. "Hope Is a Butterfly..." shows the band's ability to abruptly change genres. "Hearts That Hanker For Mistake" is heavier, darker and has some very cool guitar riffs that would not be out of place on a Dream Theater record. These two songs show that this band is no longer a ska outfit.

Halfway through the CD, now on the fifth track “Minetra la Veo Sonar”, the band decides to take a lighter, more poppy approach in terms of melody. They don’t do themselves any favors in trying to distance themselves from The Mars Volta as Matt sings half the song in Spanish, half in English. Also, about midway they go exploring on a free-style jam with every member exploring their instrument as if they had never played it before. Steve Choi’s keyboard playing shines on this track.

As always with the RX Bandits, they treat their album as a whole, and as a piece of art, and decide to briefly change the mood. They give the listener a break from the hard-rocking and slow it down even further with “March of the Caterpillar”, a reggae-esque song, and it’s older, more superior brother, “White Lies”. Steve Choi sets the mood with his slow, somber keyboard playing, and Matt softly sings, “White lies, I don’t wanna sing the same old songs again, I ain’t gonna wage the same old wars. Don’t wanna break the same old promises, don’t wanna see the same old sores.” Matt then strengthens his voice and Joe Troy pitches in nicely with some backing vocals, and together they do a splendid job singing a beautiful chorus. Matt’s voice shines on this song and the band does a nice job of not going too far with the song and instead focusing on a great melody.

“Bury It Down Low” is kind of the low point on Mandala, I believe. It’s the closest thing to a ska song on the record and while interesting to listen to instrumentally, doesn't offer much. “Breakfast Cat” is like the cousin of “Hearts That Hanker For Mistake”. It’s one of the heavier songs on the whole CD, and features some pretty dazzling guitar playing and heavier riffs, much like its predecessor.

I consider the last two songs on the album, their own kind of section because they both have war related titles and are both epic journeys of their own. Also, Chris Tsagakis lays out some wild drum beats like playing drums is going out of style. Even as a drummer, I myself cannot fathom writing or playing some of what he does on “Bled To Be Free (The Operation)” or “Bring Our Children Home, Or Everything is Nothing”. “Bled To Be Free” showcases the band shredding like no other song. A completely spazzy first half of the song leads to a very rock-n-roll chord progression and face-melting guitar solo, one like we’ve never heard on an RX record. “Bring Our Children Home…” is a typical epic, closing song on an RX Bandits album. It starts off with a funky, Latin type of guitar riff before each guitarist goes off on their own picking through chords, while Matt sings a haunting melody and C-Gak does his thing. Suddenly the song blasts into a lightning fast chorus. The time signatures, and drum beats are whacky, but they come together to form an intense sound only the Bandits are capable of capturing. The song then stumbles into a powerful bridge and when that concludes, Matt and Steve both play a guitar riff while Matt sort of wails to the tune of it. With the blink of an eye, the band kicks into another one of their free-style jams with every member running wildly about their instruments. One could consider this sort of jam as mindless wankery, but it’s part of the Bandits’ art. They let your mind explore and it creates an atmosphere. Then just to show how truly tight they are as musicians and without notice bring it back together for a final crescendo, and the album is over.

Mandala is the first RX Bandits record I can consider a masterpiece. Their previous two efforts were close, but the songs on this CD are so cohesive, that I cannot help but call it one. Every member does their job and then some, and that’s what puts this album on a higher level. Mr. Embree writes some terrific melodies, Steve Choi puts forth his best effort ever with his splendid keyboard playing, and as usual great guitar playing. Joe Troy keeps the band steady and also pitches in nice backing vocals and Chris as usual is a monster on the drums and is a big factor in the RX Bandits' unique sound.

Mandala gives RX fans reason to be excited for their next album as the band continues to grow. But, for the time being and most likely for many years to come, this album will shine as one of the best in 2009.

As Tall As Lions Into The FloodRx Bandits The Resignation
The Airborne Toxic Event The Airborne Toxic EventThe Airborne Toxic Event The Airborne Toxic Event
John Legend Live at S.O.B.'s - New York CityLucky Boys Confusion Throwing the Game
Ryan Flatley EMERITUS (4.5)
Hornless and open to explore, Mandala is everything Rx Bandits have worked for and more...

DhA (4.5)
Perfect summer album? Rx Bandits stake a claim with a slightly left field effort where the hooks are...

Alex C. Soothsayer (4)
Progressing progressive rock yet again....

July 22nd 2009

I would just like to apologize for the length of my review, i tried shortening it but didn't really succeed

handoman

i can actually see this becoming a 5 for me in the future

Prophet178
July 22nd 2009

As much as I love this album, I don't think its a 5.

transatlanticfoe
July 22nd 2009

I was thinking about reviewing this a couple weeks ago, and I actually wrote a paragraph, but after the first two reviews I figured it wasn't worth it. Now that there are four reviews I obviously won't lols

July 22nd 2009

Prophet178 a few days ago when I got the album it was about a 4 or 4.5 if I was being generous, but it's grown on me alot. I don't know how long you've had it but it give it a few more listens

Yotimi

Guess I need this.

Digging: Millie and Andrea - Drop The Vowels

shindip
July 23rd 2009

Great review. This is my fave album right now.

IndieGuitarist
August 22nd 2009

so white lies is probably the best song on here, idk why no one ever talks about it...i guess people dont like it cuz it doesnt have any geetars, ugh

Fapper
August 22nd 2009

I don't know how the rating for ...And the Battle Begun is possibly higher that this. This is pure win

August 26th 2009

White Lies is definitely in my top 3 favorites on the CD so I'm with you. And after listening to this more, I realized ATTB is on the same level so I need to raise my rating for it

IndieGuitarist
August 27th 2009

i saw these guys last night at the fillmore with as tall as lions. it was so good

August 27th 2009

handoman or next kane cooper sometimes i just dont know

wow. U owned me.

August 27th 2009

Do They Call You Ownage Cooper.

August 27th 2009

do they call u large bundle of sticks or is it just squirrel

IndieGuitarist is not me

just for your confirmation

August 27th 2009

whatever hes like your offspring

handoman > kane cooper

and white lies is my fav too!12

August 27th 2009

idk who u r anymore fanning cheeman

August 27th 2009

on a momentarily relevant note this album sounds kinda interesting

but it's like ska - horns so is it....punk?

or the reggae side of ska

or both

August 27th 2009

I wouldn't know how to classify it but I wouldn't say it was reggae-y.