Current 93
I Have A Special Plan For This World

good

by Sean Milo USER (24 Reviews)
July 16th, 2009 | 15 replies | 7,234 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 22 minutes of ambient noise and story time for deranged toddlers.

I hate short reviews. I really do. And we all know that you do too. You know, you just found out about this epic album from a friend, and he played it for you about 5 times and you loved it. So you log on to sputnik, search it up, and the guy writes three paragraphs about it. You could think of so many things to write about this album, but this asshole delivers a whooping three paragraphs. But you have to think, maybe he just didn’t have that much to say about the album. And although you can think of enough to write a chunky fifty pages on the album, the album really isn’t that special. And one of the things we all dislike about short reviews is writing them. As I write this introductory paragraph I keep racking my brain for things to say about Current 93’s EP “I Have A Special Plan For This World” to make the review seem less lame and give the reader more convincing words to listen to the music. Well, its kinda dark… the ambience is pretty cool… and there’s some dude reading a poem. And that is really all there is to say about it. And with it only being a longform single, coming in at 23 minutes, it is pretty understandable why I am not going to write a fifty page essay for this song.

The song is without a doubt one of the darkest pieces of music that I have ever heard. “I Have A Special Plan For This World” is a poem that was originally written by Thomas Ligotti and has spoken word excerpts of it spread out throughout the 23 minutes. The themes of the poem do nothing but make the song even dimmer, with words dealing with death and manipulation. And aside from the darkness of the album, it is especially creepy. The man reading the poem speaks with a droning monotone, which makes it very strange and has it almost suck all of the emotion out of the poem. The recording of the spoken word sounds as if it is being played off of an old cassette tape. In between excerpts there is a click and some ominous noises, that sound like a very deep voice, muttering nonsense in the background. Then there is another click, more spoken word. Click, noise. Click, spoken word. For 22 minutes.

Aside from the poem, the track makes for quite a sufficient experience for the ambience genre. Although it would seem too empty without the poem, the ambience would sound nice if there was something else done with it. Pretty cool if you want to creep yourself out and play this in pitch black. But other than that, its just an audio book for goth kids recorded over a creepy Godspeed track. And thus concludes my swift three paragraph masterpiece.

Sinforiano Diaz The Moosup SessionsThe Cure Disintegration
Death Grips The Money StoreDinosaur Feathers Whistle Tips
Math the Band Don't WorryCloud Nothings Attack On Memory

July 16th 2009

I know its a meh effort. I just really wanted to write something.

July 16th 2009

Decent review. Might get around to thsi eventually but glad to see the Current 93 love. Somebody needs to review the new album though.

robertsona
July 16th 2009

sean milo is the fucking coolest name ever

July 16th 2009

milo is really just a shortened version of my last name that my family often uses.

July 16th 2009

Andy Milonakis that festively obese buttercup?

July 16th 2009

milo is the last 4 letters of my last name.

Waior
July 16th 2009

Review would be a lot better if you didn't start so many sentences with "And". Otherwise, quite a decent review.

Sean Hernamilo.

Scognamigimilo.

Just getting that out of the way.

Waior
July 16th 2009

Probably the most epic name I've ever stumbled upon in my young days...

kitsch

"Scognamigimilo. "

that made me grin, sry

Meatplow

Good review.

I haven't heard this but I have been working through the groups early discography, i've made it to Imperium. A lot of self indulgent experimental ambient that is hit and miss, but when it hits it is incredible.

Nothing i've heard is quite as consistently good as Swastikas for Goddy or Thunder Perfect Mind yet though.

July 17th 2009

"that made me grin, sry"

You should try pronouncing it.

I havent listened to much of him yet. This was actually what got me interested. I heard a thunder perfect mind and it is pretty awesome.

IAmHollywood
July 18th 2011

I need more music like this. Anyone know what I should get?

Meatplow
July 18th 2011

virtually everything else Current 93, and the rest of the british neofolk crew

July 19th 2011

Baalstorm, Sing Omega, Aleph At Hallucinatory Mountain, All the Pretty Little Horses, and Thunder Perfect Mind are all such fantastic records.