Psyopus
Odd Senses

by TheResidents619 USER (7 Reviews)
July 16th, 2009 | 16 replies | 3,593 views

Review Summary: Ultimately, "Odd Senses" is a great EP disguised as an uneven full-length album.

Perhaps the only constant throughout PsyOpus' 7 year existence is the bands ability to shred the listener's face off. With each album the listener is guaranteed a new reason to spend countless hours learning how the hell these guys pull this stuff off. 2004's "Ideas Of Reference" was an impressive but uneven debut. Follow up "Our Puzzling Encounters Considered" was more of the same except for the 2 stunning instrumental tracks, "Imogen's Puzzle, Pt. 2" and "Siobhan's Song". This brings us to PsyOpus' 3rd full length, the aptly titled "Odd Senses". Although there is a lot of filler on this album, there are also some fairly decent songs hidden in between.

First off, lets get the filler out of the way. ".44", "Imogen's Puzzle, Pt. 3", "Choker Chain", and the completely unnecessary hidden track really prevent this album from being anything spectacular. "Imogen's Puzzle, Pt. 3" in particular was a huge letdown, considering how amazing parts 1 and (especially) 2 are. Also, when the hell are these guys going to learn that adding an extra 20 minute "hidden" track destroys the momentum of an album. All of their albums end with irritating and ambiguous "songs" that ruin any sort of replay value that their CDs might have.

Moving away from the negative, let's focus on the positive. "Medusa", "The Burning Halo", and "Duct Tape Smile" create the perfect trio of crushing avant-grind that fans of PsyOpus long for. "The Burning Halo", chosen as the albums single, is easily one of the best PsyOpus songs ever. The albums most interesting moments come at the end with the tracks "Ms. Shyflower" and "A Murder To Child". "Ms. Shyflower" finds the band slowing down the tempo to impressive results. Meanwhile, "A Murder To Child" is a 9 minute classical-jazz instrumental song that is equally impressive.

"Odd Senses", in typical PsyOpus fashion, is all over the place. However, the good does outweigh the bad making this album worthwhile. I would suggest downloading only the aforementioned good songs and avoiding all the filler to maximize this albums enjoyment. Until PsyOpus can learn to weed out the filler and stick with writing memorable songs, they will continue to make the same album over and over. They certainly don't have to rid their music of its technical complexities, but they just have to make these complexities approachable. (For a good example of this, check out Obscura's amazing "Cosmogenesis" album.) "Odd Senses" is really a great EP disguised as a full length album.

Suggested Tracklist:
1. Medusa
2. The Burning Halo
3. Duct Tape Smile
4. Ms. Shyflower
5. A Murder To Child

Songs such as "X and Y" and "Boogeyman" are definitely love-it-or-hate-it type tracks. If you enjoy technicality for the sake of technicality in your music, then definitely check out these songs. However if you like interesting songwriting, I would avoid them.

Aube Pages from the BookEagle Twin The Unkindness of Crows
Gigan The Order of the False EyeCephalic Carnage Exploiting Dysfunction
The Residents God in Three PersonsZombi Surface to Air
2.8
good
Wat (4.5)

BringMeABrick (2.5)
Odd Senses, while being occasionally enjoyable, is basically Psyopus's first two albums with water p...

Jeff Hanson (2)
What we have here is a failure to evolve from the juvenile past efforts into something a little more...

Adam Thomas STAFF (2)
An unbearable journey to the far side of tech....

PuddlesPuddles
July 16th 2009

I thought this was pretty well-done

Nice review

A7XEric

A Murder to Child is pretty fap-worthy

zachfearsatan
July 16th 2009

arp is mind numbing. annoyed when i listen on cd, awestruck live.

July 16th 2009

this band are really really bad

TrojanWhore
July 16th 2009

No they aren't, you just have a different opinion to other people.

elephantREVOLUTION
July 16th 2009

i enjoyed "our puzzling encounters considered" quite a bit, but this album never really did it for me. good review

PanasonicYouth

i've heard these guys are great for gueetar wankage
is this truth?

A7XEric

i've heard these guys are great for gueetar wankage
is this truth?

True in the sense that in terms of sheer technicality these guys are utterly insane. But don't be mislead into thinking this is a shred album or anything. This is just a random assemblage of technical dissonant noise.

Pebster49
July 17th 2009

Love they're sound, but eventually they are going to have to learn how to write songs a bit better.

July 17th 2009

No they aren't, you just have a different opinion to other people.

no they are actually just a really shitty band

TrojanWhore
July 17th 2009

gaslight - accept the fact that your opinion =/= everyone's and move the feck on dude, stop being an elitist prick.

July 17th 2009

i accept my opinion =/= everyone else opinion but this band do suck regardless so

0m3ga0n3
March 2nd 2010

lol gaslightanthem is a retard.

I liked Burning Halo. This band gives new meaning to innovation. It's like chaos with order (I luled at my own cheesy comment)

wickhead
March 21st 2014

" technicality for the sake of technicality"

Do you do any research before you write a review, you know, maybe listen to the album? Or, and hear me out, seek an interview of some sort to see what the artists intentions were?

I would buy this album for the bass tracks alone. Prominent, coherent in the midst of all the chaos.