Gorod
Process of a New Decline

by Squib USER (4 Reviews)
July 13th, 2009 | 35 replies

Review Summary: Process of a New Decline in quality...

Expectations are a bitch, but when I think back now it was pretty foolish to think that Gorod a French technical death metal band, could release an album that could even come close (or surpass) their magnum opus: Leading Vision. Leading Vision was a breath of fresh air in the technical death metal scene; it was unique, it wasn’t filled with sterile sweeping and tapping, no it opted for catchy riffs and excellent groove sections. Now, instead of progressing their own unique sound (like the one from Neurotripsicks to Leading Vision) it seems like Gorod are imitating generic technical death metal bands, making Process of a New Decline nothing more than a run-of-the-mill tech death album, crushing all expectations. Sure there are a few good songs to be found, but nothing that can save this album from mediocrity.

The album opens with one of their relatively stronger tracks, Disavow Your God which starts off great, and doesn’t slow down with excellent, memorable and groovy riffing. A tapping section follows, it starts off good - but then eventually it becomes overbearing due to how long it lasts - although it is still pretty impressive and the song regains its momentum afterwards. All the good qualities about Disavow Your God can only be said for just a few more songs, namely A Common Hope and Almighty’s Murderer which feature the aforementioned catchy and groovy riffs, except Almighty’s Murderer is more inconsistent, faltering after the first barrage of riffs, but even then it’s stronger than a handful of songs found in the album. However none of these songs reach the standard of some of the better songs found on Leading Vision and are nothing too special but still, they are the closest thing you’ll get to a Leading Vision-like song.

A noticeable aspect of the album, heard from the onset is the production. Now, I’m not saying the previous albums had anything “dark” about them, and the production wasn’t murky or anything – they were actually very clean and had a crisp sound to it, but Process of the Decline goes overboard, the album sounds... shiny. The constant, unnecessary shredding found in most of their songs and the extremely (annoying) melodic leads just evokes a “happy” sound, found in progressive/melodic metal albums, which vastly decreases the appeal of this “death metal” album.

So after Disavow Your God, the album plunges into mediocrity with Programmers of Decline, which is a perfect example of the new generic tendencies found on the album. It begins with a piss poor excuse of a riff and pointless shredding which just doesn’t relent, the song tries to save itself later on but it fails miserably and presents us with an abysmal groove. No doubt about it, this song (and many others) could easily thrown into an Obscura or The Faceless album and fit in perfectly, receiving the usual technical death metal bashing; “all shred, poor songwriting” (which it is). The following songs all do this, it’s ridiculous – it’s as if Gorod are striving to imitate their lesser peers. The Path features clean vocals, which seems to be the new trait of trendy technical death metal; incorporating Cynic-like vocals, not only are they just out of place, its horribly executed. Splinters of Life has the least wank found in the album, it just chugs at mid-tempo with unmemorable riffs, the song turns out to be just as boring as the sterile over-the-top shredding found in the rest of the album. Watershed is another example where Gorod try to pull off some pseudo-progressive and excessively melodic shit, the other example being The Path, the two songs are quite similar and just as bad as each other.

The bass is somewhat audible, but it doesn’t carry the same presence it did in previous albums, especially Leading Vision where the bass was enjoyable and made an impact since you could hear it throughout the majority of the album. Make no mistake though, the bass does provide a suitable backbone for the rest of the music; it just lacks the “oomph” found in Leading Vision. The drumming obviously sounds different due to Gorod’s new drummer, and I don’t really have any complaints with it. It’s impressive and I’m pleased that it wasn’t overdone like the guitars.

Overall Process of a New Decline begins with a promising and misleading start and finishes off by being the biggest disappointment the year has offered us so far. Gorod just took many huge leaps backwards with this album, becoming cookie-cutter technical death metal which is a shame because I believe Gorod had the potential to produce album of the year. Yeah, this is really technical and wanky stuff, but there’s no substance to be found and each listen deteriorates whatever redeeming qualities that could have been found. Hopefully Gorod can return to form with future releases, but the possibility of that happening is fairly slim due to the direction taken in this album.

Tyler Munro EMERITUS (3.5)
Gorod's weakest album has the band straying further from their death metal roots and, as expected, s...

DBlitz
July 13th 2009

I was planning on giving this a 3, but as I was listening and reviewing I thought I'd drop it.

Give me some comments and criticism, still "new" to reviewing.

i'll get you squib

CharlestheMute

fffffffffffffkkkkkkk uu

July 13th 2009

you fucking change your fucking screen name right now

Athom
July 13th 2009

is that a tiny penis or a cactus?

it's a HUGE cock

Athom

it doesnt look black...

July 13th 2009

lets critique this guy's review

CharlestheMute

u wish

Lucid
July 13th 2009

Great review. Won't be checking this out since it sounds like "Cosmogenesis" by Obscura (which sucked).

RedSky
July 13th 2009

masterofcum's avy looks more like he's giving someone the middle finger and it's got a gash and bleeding. Also his fingers are incredibly hairy for some reason!

Thought Cosmogenesis sounded terribly generic but this is considerably better. Personally I don't like to look at albums from the point of view of what should fit in them based on the genre they're supposed to belong to, hell I prefer mixed genres and variety, so I count the veering away from permanently dark and foreboding and the use of progressive elements as a good thing, although really there's very little of either. It's basically just "The Path" and "Watershed". Overall I thought it deserved a pretty solid 3.75/5.

*and no,

Just because your expectations were tech death metal doesn't mean the band had to follow that formula. This criticism is like saying "Because I was expecting this to be pop and it turned out to be rock, I don't like it".

Welcome to 2009. This has not been an exciting year.

What do you expect? This is tech metal. Try listening to Spawn of Possession.

Overall, this was a solid review.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

Anthracks
July 13th 2009

this is a really boring album...ive thought about lowering my rating but havent listened to it since the day it leaked so i cant warrant it

Digging: Radio Moscow - Magical Dirt

19524 Comments

^^I figured that it would be boring. I will still give it a go though.

lauriej
July 13th 2009

leading vision's enough for me to be honest

jingledeath
July 13th 2009

Review is great and so is the album. I've listened to this quite a number of times. Quality didn't seem to detiriorate with each listen, though, and this still shits all over most albums put out by other tech death bands nowadays.

willfellmarsy
July 13th 2009

i shan't believe these words...

giving this album 2.5 is a massive fail

Why? Alot of these tech metal bands paint themselves into a corner. They are a dime a dozen and if you've heard one album by any of them, chances are, you really don't need to hear anything else in their discography (or the entire sub-genre for that matter).

Anthracks
July 13th 2009

well...while lots of "tech-death" does bore me these days...most of them still have their own sound to me

19524 Comments

I know I haven't heard it yet and thats not a fair argument I'm raising. However, I'm pretty familiar with the sub-genre and anything that is new age tech-metal really doesn't surprise me as being mediocre. Leading Vision was certainly a surprise for me though.