Papa Roach
Metamorphosis

2.0
poor

by DurgTv USER (4 Reviews)
July 12th, 2009 | 7 replies

Review Summary: Papa Roach’s sound has not changed one bit, if anything they have the exact same sound but the song writing has gone backwards dramatically.

Papa Roach is a nu metal/hard rock band from Vacaville, California, formed in 1993 and consisting of vocalist Jacoby Shaddix, guitarist Jerry Horton, bassist Tobin Esperance and drummer David Buckner. The band is currently signed to Geffen/Universal Records. They had mostly regional success until releasing their first major label album, Infest (2000), which has sold 6 million copies worldwide to date, becoming the 20th top selling album of 2000. the album became an instant classic with legions of fans, powered by the hit singles "Last Resort", "Broken Home" and "Between Angels And Insects"

After being a huge fan of Papa Roach’s previous work, I brought the follow up to “The Paramour Sessions”, this album was titled “Metamorphosis”. After being so eager to listen to the new album, it was very unfortunate that following my first couple of listens, I was less than impressed. The first thing that annoyed me about this album, is the fact that it is called “Metamorphosis”. For those who don’t know, the albums title means to dramatically change from one thing, into something different i.e.: to Morph. Papa Roach’s sound has not changed one bit, if anything they have the exact same sound but the song writing has gone backwards dramatically. This album puts forward the exact same issues and themes drug use, addiction and relationship issues.

With all this said, the band has written some really good tunes that will no doubt be in their catalogue for years to come, unfortunately Papa Roach have written some really average songs too. I feel that if it wasn’t for the songs such as “Nights of Love” of which contains some of the most clique lyrics I have ever heard come out of the band and “I Almost Told You That I Loved You” that sounds too much like the mainstream garbage that comes out of the radio, this would be able to stand against the bands previous work.

The only “Metamorphosis” I see going on with this record is that the band are starting to stop taking risks and are sticking to a formula that works. The album however is widely accessible, most fans of mainstream rock should have no trouble getting into it. This album just is not the same Papa Roach I grew up with.

2.4
William Forest Collins (3.5)
Either it was the fact that this was the album that really got me into music to begin with, or I was...

Davey Boy STAFF (2)
Is a regression in quality considered a ‘metamorphosis’?...

Fxxkit13
July 13th 2009

This review is decent. Not really descriptive enough though, i still dont feel like i learned anything beside the fact that it sucked. Its a shame though, i really like Paramour Sessions and i was excited for this release.

fromtheinside

19029 Comments

ugh, i'm sick of this band.

Digging: Ibex Throne - Ibex Throne

DurgTv

Point taken,
thanks for the feed back
and yeah I couldn't agree more, after The Paramour Sessions and even GAWM,
I really got my hopes up for this album.

CharlestheMute

band is gay

navyboy
July 13th 2009

if you go to this bands concert i hear they try to bring everyone back to their hotel for a big gay orgy after

fromtheinside

19029 Comments

LMAO!

Fugue
July 13th 2009

like Fxxkit said, the review needs a lot more description of the music, but other than that it is a decent effort for a first.

Digging: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy