Billy Talent
Billy Talent III

by Vilen1025 USER (7 Reviews)
July 12th, 2009 | 20 replies | 8,344 views

Review Summary: Billy Talent III is a fusion of different elements. Their new sounds boast a fuller guitar line, but, sadly, less anger and strength than their previous work.

Billy Talent I and Billy Talent II set the stage for a new sound that blended punk, alternative, and even metal. Billy Talent III seems to continue along a similar line, but sounds somewhat diluted, perhaps due to the fact that the sound is rather forced. Although it is definitely darker that the previous album, it lacks the variety or connectivity that Billy Talent has always been good at.

The first track, "Devil on My Shoulder", sets a high standard for the rest of the album. The masterful guitar work of Ian D'Sa is prevalent in the entire album, notably in this song. The solos throughout Billy Talent III are impressive, and the excessive stress on the guitar line leaves vocals that do not match up to Ben Kowalewicz's earlier efforts. Lyrically, this is Billy Talent's weakest point. Again, it seems forced, as if they were just thrown in as an afterthought.

Besides arguably "Rusted from the Rain", there are no real slow or mellow songs on the album. It seems as if they want to recycle an idea derived from a combination of their first two albums over and over. If indeed that were their intention, they succeeded. There are significantly more "throwaway" songs on this album - what's more, there are only eleven songs, so after finishing listening to the album, you feel as if something was removed. Many good albums have few songs, but they require variety, and it manages to touch every point of the artist's range. Billy Talent's third album doesn't do that. Instead, we have many ideas repeated over and over.

About now, you're probably wondering why I think this album is so bad - it's not. In fact, it has many moments that shine. There are neo-punk songs such as "Turn Your Back" and great crunchy parts in songs like "Tears Into Wine" and "Pocketful of Dreams", the latter of which has System of a Down influence, vocally. The backup vocals are not as present on this album, but that isn't saying much. D'Sa screams and sings, and combined with Jon Gallant's bassline and Aaron Solowoniuk's drums, Billy Talent III is a nice package to have. And while it doesn't meet our (or at least my) expectations, it definitely is worth a listen.

Top tracks:

3.1
good

DaveyBoy

20856 Comments

I feel like a broken record: Please provide a link to the album stream or else this review will get deleted since it is not officially out as yet...

KritikalMotion
July 12th 2009

scared too listen to this...

Lucid

Vilen1025

That's the stream.

DaveyBoy

20856 Comments

Good stuff. Thanks Vilen. Must give it a listen when I get a little more time.

CreamCrazy
July 12th 2009

I probably will pick this up as I've been a fan of BT for a long time... although after hearing Rusted From The Rain... I hope the majority of it is better than that song

Knott-
July 12th 2009

It is. Unfortunately, it's still not much better than average.

milrichouse
July 13th 2009

I don't think it's as 'plain jane' as everyone's making out - it's definately less pop punk than the other two, and personally I'm really enjoying it. 4/5

WatchItExplode

terrified...will listen regardless

fireaboveicebelow
July 13th 2009

it's less pop punk, but more like a wet fart

ANewTypeOfPunk
July 16th 2009

Hate it, except for devil on my shoulder, because it reminds me of Billy Talent I, which is a superb album. II, was meh, and III is just boring.

Waior
July 16th 2009

Hate it

I don't get it.

skocore
November 9th 2009

This album was not what I expected from Billy Talent, its far too samey the whole way through for me and far too slow at that.

firedupguitar
March 31st 2010

Awesome album

JWT155
March 31st 2010

I need to get around to this, II is awesome.

WatchItExplode
June 16th 2010

yeah, I never bothered...don't like the through of it being slow and the single sucked though

MeatSalad
December 18th 2010

I actually really like Rusted from the Rain.

Digging: Mr. Bungle - California

coneren
December 18th 2010

probably my favorite from this, really

KimmsightMatters
December 18th 2010

The thing I like about Billy Talent is their consistancy.