Pelican
Ephemeral

by Adam Thomas STAFF
July 10th, 2009 | 45 replies

Review Summary: Pelican's Southern Lord debut is a welcome return to form.

Timing is everything. Pelican is testament to this. Their first two releases, 2003's crushing Australasia and 2005's scenic The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw, garnered considerable praise from the press and won Pelican fans from both the metal and indie sides of the aisle. But as the Post-Metal scene expanded into it's current super-saturated state, Pelican got lost in the shuffle. By the time the band released their third album, City of Echoes, there were hundreds of recent start-ups that had already made that record, making it a common target of message board slagging and used bins. Now, two years after the mundane City of Echoes, Pelican are set on reclaiming their spot as one of Post-Metal's top dogs with their new EP, Ephemeral.

Ephemeral is Pelican going back to basics. The sonic exploration of the lighter side of their music that has progressively creeped out more and more since The Fire In Our Throats... has been scaled back, clearing the way for the return of the groovy doom infused instru-metal of the Australasia era. The album's title track is Pelican doing what they do best: offering up colossal slabs of churning, low-tuned riffage, offset by delicate but dreary lead work. Even the drums, which have always been Pelican's Achilles heel, seem less lackadaisical than what has come to be expected from the quartet. In true “getting in touch with our roots” fashion, and what also manages to be the highlight of the album, Pelican close out Ephemeral with a cover of Earth's “Geometry of Murder”. On it, Pelican are joined by Earth's Dylan Carlson on guitar, adding another layer to the gorgeous, pummeling guitar assault.

Ephemeral accomplishes two things. It is a brilliant return to form after the missteps on City of Echoes, and it also firmly places Pelican back on top of the Post-Metal sprawl. It is not often that a band that has drifted so far from their original sound is able to return to what they do best and without missing a beat.

Weezer Everything Will Be Alright in the EndYOB Clearing The Path To Ascend
United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Alex C. Soothsayer (4)
Now Playing: The Soundtrack to Hell....

19522 Comments

Pelican got lost in the shuffle. By the time the band released their third album, City of Echoes, there were hundreds of recent start-ups that had already made that record, making it a common sight of message board slagging and used bins.

I don't think it was the fact they got lost in the shuffle; they simply put out a pooper of an album. This sounds interesting though. Review was tight.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

Athom
July 10th 2009

I found City of Echoes to be an ok album, it just sounded like everything else. To each their own I guess.

marksellsuswallets

New Pelican? Neat...

19522 Comments

Agreed : ). I like their first two albums though.

2087 Comments

wizard you catch their tour?

Relinquished
July 10th 2009

This was the best 3 bucks I've spent on a cd.

MassiveAttack
July 10th 2009

Can't remember the album someone recommended me by these guys, but it was good.

Oh, its The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw

foreverendeared
July 10th 2009

phrase of the year: "return to form"

19522 Comments

wizard you catch their tour?

Did they come through Canada?

phrase of the year: "return to form"

10+ points for foreverendeared.

Crysis
July 10th 2009

They have a copy of this on vinyl at my record store, might pick it up.

Digging: Swallowed - Lunarterial

2087 Comments

"Did they come through Canada?"

Dunno but I'm guessing by that question you didn't see it.

Klekticist

nice review.
shud give this a listen soon...

Digging: Flying Lotus - Ideas Drafts Loops

19522 Comments

Dunno but I'm guessing by that question you didn't see it.

You win a prize.

2087 Comments

My deductive reasoning skills are powerful.

foreverendeared
July 10th 2009

do i get to redeem a prize after i acquire a certain amount of points?

19522 Comments

What is this, Chucky Cheese?

2087 Comments

No but you can exchange points for a Hot Karl.

WarAllTheTime988
July 10th 2009

This very well could be my favorite thing these guys have done - I have allowed it to set in and although The Fire... and Australasia put up good fights, I really just like this a ton. Also I didn't mind City Of Echoes as much as everyone else seemed to but as Adam said, to each their own.

July 11th 2009

19522 Comments

No but you can exchange points for a Hot Karl.

After watching Bruno, that comment was even funnier hahaha.

Shrapnel94