Alexisonfire
Old Crows / Young Cardinals

by cbear777 USER (2 Reviews)
July 8th, 2009 | 5 replies

Review Summary: Alexisonfire hits again with a very pleasing album that is not without faults but fortunately the good outweighs the bad here.

As we all know Alexisonfire is a band that changes drastically with its sound on each CD. I personally have been down with their variety of sounds since Watch Out which sort of explored a more emotional side of them. Crisis went back to some more screaming and a darker sound, again changing the whole thing up for a third time. Now Alexisonfire release Old Crows /Young cardinals and has another change not as dramatic but enough to keep things fresh.

I really liked this album but it does have its faults and I admit that, so I figure I will get those out of the way since they must be mentioned. To start with the worst songs are all at the beginning of the CD I do like old crows but it still falls a little less than spectacular for me and young cardinals is just sort of... well there. But then comes my least favorite song on the CD Sons of privileged. This song is a cliche mess of punk rock "don't want to be a slave to the sons of privileged" I here this and just think of some stereo typical rebel teen that's all against authority. This songs really only redeeming quality is the music since its lyrically atrocious, which is a shame cause most songs are really good lyrically.

Okay now that the most complaining is out of the way its time to justify my 4.5 rating. To start with this album may have a couple downers but the songs on this album that are good (which is almost all of them) I feel blows Crisis out of the water. I really like the guitar work on this CD, it has much more variety then Crisis and is much cleaner and more pronounce. I also enjoy the turn on screaming they took with this album, it is more of a growly signing then a scream although there is still regular screaming too. Lets face it Alexisonfire is good when there being catchy and man are most the songs on this catchy. It is damn near impossible not to sing along to songs like Born and raised or Emerald street. But songs like No Rest and Burial don't even really need that real catchyness. No Rest is based on a raw power type of sound and Burial being the polar opposite by relying on real soft emotional type of song.

To sum it up this album is damn good and Alexisonfire should be proud to have it in their music history. Just hit skip on sons of Privileged to prevent eye rolling.

3.3