Harvey Danger
Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?

by TerminalC USER (7 Reviews)
July 8th, 2009 | 12 replies | 5,999 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Like a Zero Drowning In A Sea of Higher Numbers

Everyone knows "that one song" by Harvey Danger, they just don't know the name of the song or the band. One fate full day three years ago I wandered into my local used CD shop and stumbled upon this rare gem of gems, Harvey Danger's "Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?"
The album opener "Carlotta Valdez" tempts the listener with a frantic baseline which leads straight into one of the standout tracks of the album. A wondrous late 90's rock tune driven by a crunchy guitar riff. Interesting tidbit of trivia knowledge, the songs lyrics are actually a plot summary of Alfred Hitchcock's classic film "Vertigo".
Next up is the infamous "Flagpole Sitta", better known as "that flagpole song". Admit it, you like this song, everyone who has ever heard it has liked it. That's as much as I'm going to say about that.
The Third and Fourth tracks (Woolly Muffler and Private Helicopter respectively) are prime examples of bitter 90's love tunes. Sean Nelson bellows ouch such inspired lines as "All I wanted to be was a Woolly Muffler on your naked neck" and "we're not alone but no one speaks english, so we're free". Two tracks I highly recommend if you have any interest in Harvey Danger at all.
Unfortunately "Problems and Bigger Ones" marks a shift in the album, a shift downward. I won't dwell on this song other than to implore you NOT to listen to it.
Don't mistake me, the following three tracks are good, just not as good as those at the albums start. "Jack the Lion" is an emotion filled farewell to a dying father, in "Old Hat" Nelson struggles with life as a musician, asking "I"m so happy/ How do you write about that?". And "Terminal Annex" beckons to glory days gone by.
I personally like to pretend that "Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?" ends right after "Terminal Annex", because the final two tracks suffer from the same fate as "Problems and Bigger Ones", they are bland, uninspired, and brutally dull. What really serves to highlight the superb mediocrity of these songs is how solid the rest of the album is, and how utterly awful these songs are.
Ultimately, I like "Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?". It's a solid angst-filled late 90's romp which serves to entertain, not an album that changed the face of music, but it's still fun dammit. The only downside is the three outstandingly poor tracks that drag the album down and almost serve to glaze over the higher points of the album.

Highlights

Third Eye Blind Red StarAnd Then There Were None The Hope We Forgot Exists

Klekticist

cool.
this needed a review.

decent job, though it's a bit short.

flagpole sitta's awesome :D

Digging: Nils Frahm - Wintermusik

TerminalC
July 8th 2009

ya, i like to review stuff that doesn't have anything written about it yet, so I figured this would fit the bill quite nicely.
It originally was longer, i had actually gone into detail with each song but it was WAY too long so this refined version came along

YouAreMySilence
July 8th 2009

The lenght really isn't really an issue as long as the writing itself is decent and with a quick scan through it seems that you've done a great job.
Try breaking it into paragraphs though, it makes for an easier read.

Klekticist
July 8th 2009

yeh, once i begin reviewing, tht'll most likely be my tactic.
obscure stuff no one's heard of

FromDaHood
April 6th 2011

Paranoia, paranoia everybody's comin to get meeeeeeeeeeee

Spare
April 23rd 2011

just saw flagpole sitta on youtube as "blink 182 - i'm not sick but i'm not well (american pie song)"

Digging: Radiator Hospital - Torch Song

pmmets07
May 1st 2011

i picked this up for three bucks at Goodwill since i really like Flagpole Sitta. Problems and tracks
9 and 10 are so good. how could you called Problems and Bigger Ones uninspired? dude's pouring his
heart out

xfearbefore
June 14th 2012

Paranoia, paranoia, everybody's coming to get me! Such a catchy staple of 90s alt rock radio. These guys were pretty underrated.

Digging: Tiger Army - Tiger Army

pmmets07
June 14th 2012

the real gems on here are problems and bigger ones and terminal annex

Dunpeal
August 18th 2012

review is a TBT in disguise

probably overrating, but this got so much burn in my youth and still sounds pretty good so yeah

ExcentrifugalForz
February 10th 2013

A decent album. I always liked Jack the Lion.

demigod!
November 7th 2013

peep show is the best ever gotta check this

Digging: Black Flag - My War